PDA

View Full Version : XT Racing GPX Pro w/ sensors...

Tony Ta
07-16-2013, 10:44 PM
anybody have first hand experience with the XT Racing GPX Pro setup w/ sensors? If so, which sensors did you use? Is it complicated to transfer the data into useful knowledge? worth every penny?

i'm thinking of getting front and rear suspension potentiometers, brake sensor, and rpm sensor. Since i only have the GPX Pro 4, those are originally my 4 choices.

Michael De Simone
07-16-2013, 11:33 PM
I got mine from you about a year ago and it was worth every penny. It is on Daisy's GSXR 750. I have RPM, Gear, Brake On/Off, TPS + all the GPS data. I was able to get that all from the wiring harness directly.

I think the suspension stuff would be cool but I'm not sure how well I would be able to interpret the data. I would drop those and pick up the throttle position. Much more valuable.

The data that I have is pretty easy to work with and has been very valuable.

If you have any knowledge of electrical wiring it should be fairly easy to set up. I needed help and Brian Millsap helped me with my setup. He taught me quite a bit about how all of that works. I could do another one by myself now. XT's support is pretty good to, they will make recommendations and help if you can provide a wiring diagram for your bike.

David Proler
07-16-2013, 11:47 PM
Brian Millsap knows a lot about these too. They look top notch. I like the overlay data that you can stamp on a video.

Kris Maskos
07-16-2013, 11:54 PM
Great unit and setup is relatively easy. I bought posi taps, like a PC, instead of what comes with the unit. Unless you have someone designated to manage the data at the track I would just get TPS and RPM logged. Maybe the front brake. The unit has accelerometers so you get acceleration, deceleration and lateral Gs as well.

I had almost every channels used at first and it was just too much data to look at. KISS kicked in.

Michael De Simone
07-16-2013, 11:56 PM
Brian Millsap knows a lot about these too. They look top notch. I like the overlay data that you can stamp on a video.

I used http://www.dashware.net to do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDtPFgrFLoQ.

There are a couple other programs that you can do this with as well.

Kris Maskos
07-17-2013, 12:02 AM
Track vision works well with the gpx software, for data/video overlay, and has good support.

Brian Millsap
07-17-2013, 08:35 AM
Yeah I used Dashware as well. The hardest part of the overlaying process is choosing/designing the layout you want and syncing. Once you do a couple though it's cake. With the exception of ambient air temp which I get from an aftermarket sensor and front brake on/off, I pull everything else from the harness. RPM, ECT, TPS, etc. It obviously uses GPS for speed which is used in conjunction with RPM to determine gear position which is very easily calibrated and more easily changed if you change your gearing. The internal accelerometer is very useful as well.

The one thing I am very interested in setting up is front brake pressure. This will require an inline pressure sensor which XT sells. The added cost/time of having custom lines built has been the reason for my delay. It would nice though to see the amount of pressure as opposed to just an on/off.

Scott Martin
07-17-2013, 11:35 AM
The hardest part of the overlaying process is choosing/designing the layout you want and syncing.

so, how is the syncing accomplished? I've been working with overlaying rear on-video footage on my forward on-bike footage and ended up using the audio tracks to synchronize the videos properly. works pretty well if you wait until both cameras are running to start the bike. (and you aren't pitted next to the loudest generator in the world... :headbang:)

but I'm having trouble imagining an obvious way one might be able to sync the downloaded GPX data to a video feed with any accuracy.

thanks.

Michael De Simone
07-17-2013, 12:38 PM
so, how is the syncing accomplished? I've been working with overlaying rear on-video footage on my forward on-bike footage and ended up using the audio tracks to synchronize the videos properly. works pretty well if you wait until both cameras are running to start the bike. (and you aren't pitted next to the loudest generator in the world... :headbang:)

but I'm having trouble imagining an obvious way one might be able to sync the downloaded GPX data to a video feed with any accuracy.

thanks.

With the Dashware it is a manual process and is time consuming but I was able to get the hang of it pretty quickly. Dashware has a free trial.

Kris Maskos
07-17-2013, 03:48 PM
Relatively easy with the Trackvision...cue on the audible gear changes and the data RPM changes.

Brian Millsap
07-17-2013, 09:28 PM

thanks.

Since my start/finish line is dead nuts on I replay the video in super slow mo and when I cross the line I sync with the lap timer. I've heard of guys using a switch, like a horn, but I'm not going to all the trouble to set that up. The GPX does not start recording until a minimum (user defined) speed is reached so the "start the bike" method won't work.

Scott Martin
07-18-2013, 09:01 AM
Since my start/finish line is dead nuts on I replay the video in super slow mo and when I cross the line I sync with the lap timer. I've heard of guys using a switch, like a horn, but I'm not going to all the trouble to set that up. The GPX does not start recording until a minimum (user defined) speed is reached so the "start the bike" method won't work.

yeah, I saw that in the owners manual about the minimum speed. I guess using a known landmark (s/f line) would work pretty well. I sometimes have to do that to estimate laps times using my video footage when my i/r lap timer isn't picking up the beacon.

thanks to all that provided input.

Scott Martin
07-18-2013, 09:05 AM
Relatively easy with the Trackvision...cue on the audible gear changes and the data RPM changes.

do you find the gpx pro to be pretty reliable picking up the rpms? and how are you picking it up - induction wrap on the spark plug lead, direct wire to a coil, ecu feed, or some other method?

I ran a trail tech vapor on my old wr450 motard and it wasn't particularly reliable picking up the rpms (and I shook several vapors to death with the engine vibes no matter what I did to isolate the unit, but that is a different issue... :rolleyes:)

Michael De Simone
07-18-2013, 10:45 AM
do you find the gpx pro to be pretty reliable picking up the rpms? and how are you picking it up - induction wrap on the spark plug lead, direct wire to a coil, ecu feed, or some other method?

I ran a trail tech vapor on my old wr450 motard and it wasn't particularly reliable picking up the rpms (and I shook several vapors to death with the engine vibes no matter what I did to isolate the unit, but that is a different issue... :rolleyes:)

I get RPM through the ECU on the GSXR 750