PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Gobert sacked again...

brianlee106
04-13-2004, 01:14 PM
Looks like go show will be a no show again this season ...erion released statement releasing him...see cyclenews.com arrested on a dui..man the opportunities this guy has been given.

brianlee106
04-13-2004, 01:14 PM
Looks like go show will be a no show again this season ...erion released statement releasing him...see cyclenews.com arrested on a dui..man the opportunities this guy has been given.

John Orchard
04-13-2004, 02:53 PM
Pretty amazing....

John Orchard
04-13-2004, 02:53 PM
Pretty amazing....

Steve Breen
04-13-2004, 03:06 PM
What a waste of other peoples time...

Steve Breen
04-13-2004, 03:06 PM
What a waste of other peoples time...

JesseJohnson
04-13-2004, 03:19 PM
Good, now they can give the spot to someone who deserves it......

JesseJohnson
04-13-2004, 03:19 PM
Good, now they can give the spot to someone who deserves it......

TXFZ1
04-13-2004, 11:51 PM
"Paging Mr.Howard...Mr Howard, please pick up the red courtsey phone. Paging Mr. Howard" /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

David

TXFZ1
04-13-2004, 11:51 PM
"Paging Mr.Howard...Mr Howard, please pick up the red courtsey phone. Paging Mr. Howard" /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

David

KELLY DAVIS
04-14-2004, 05:25 AM
Just spent a weekend with Ty in his class, what a great guy. His class is really worth the money.
Thanks for all the help.

KELLY DAVIS
04-14-2004, 05:25 AM
Just spent a weekend with Ty in his class, what a great guy. His class is really worth the money.
Thanks for all the help.

SMILEYMAN
04-14-2004, 08:20 AM
Antony is going to have to undergo comsetic surgery and change his name to get a ride anywhere now. To have the opportunity and waste it...Just sad.

SMILEYMAN
04-14-2004, 08:20 AM
Antony is going to have to undergo comsetic surgery and change his name to get a ride anywhere now. To have the opportunity and waste it...Just sad.

Joseph Browning
04-14-2004, 09:21 AM
Okay so I gotta beef with this. And I really want to just bite my tongue but I've never done that before so why start now. What, REALLY, is the difference between Yates's stunt and Goberts? Because- and I'm not playing devils advocate here, I'm serious- Yates mishap, his indiscretion happened on the biggest motorcycle day of the year in the US. On TV. Live. Gobert got drunk and got behind the wheel. Seriously frowned on, not a good idea and certainly it appears as tho this is indicative of his style. His MO. But Yates keeps his job, Go-show gets canned. That's retarded. Is it because of Goberts past? Is that why the sentiment is one of pity for the guy and not disdain? As far as not getting a ride, that's utter nonsense. He'll get a job riding motorcycles. He is a talented racer with a propensity to do some stupid stuff off the track. You just described everybody I know with the one small exception- most of us aren't talented racers. Now would I like to see this "job" handed to Mike or Ty or Benny T or Haner or any of the handfull of talented riders I know? Sure. But this is (was, really) a liability issue for Kevin Erion, nothing else. He had a loss and he cut it- impeccable business sense. Gobert has a problem keeping his head straight off the track. Surely we don't think that motorcyclists (in general, the buying public) give one iota of a rats *** about this incident? I mean, yeah, WE care but we are a bunch of internet forum ninnies. Okay I'm done ranting- it just makes me mad that Yates can WWF-drop-kick a privateer, Gobie has a relatively minor legal infraction and he gets canned. Someone please empathize with me. :-)

Joseph Browning
04-14-2004, 09:21 AM
Okay so I gotta beef with this. And I really want to just bite my tongue but I've never done that before so why start now. What, REALLY, is the difference between Yates's stunt and Goberts? Because- and I'm not playing devils advocate here, I'm serious- Yates mishap, his indiscretion happened on the biggest motorcycle day of the year in the US. On TV. Live. Gobert got drunk and got behind the wheel. Seriously frowned on, not a good idea and certainly it appears as tho this is indicative of his style. His MO. But Yates keeps his job, Go-show gets canned. That's retarded. Is it because of Goberts past? Is that why the sentiment is one of pity for the guy and not disdain? As far as not getting a ride, that's utter nonsense. He'll get a job riding motorcycles. He is a talented racer with a propensity to do some stupid stuff off the track. You just described everybody I know with the one small exception- most of us aren't talented racers. Now would I like to see this "job" handed to Mike or Ty or Benny T or Haner or any of the handfull of talented riders I know? Sure. But this is (was, really) a liability issue for Kevin Erion, nothing else. He had a loss and he cut it- impeccable business sense. Gobert has a problem keeping his head straight off the track. Surely we don't think that motorcyclists (in general, the buying public) give one iota of a rats *** about this incident? I mean, yeah, WE care but we are a bunch of internet forum ninnies. Okay I'm done ranting- it just makes me mad that Yates can WWF-drop-kick a privateer, Gobie has a relatively minor legal infraction and he gets canned. Someone please empathize with me. :-)

Steve Breen
04-14-2004, 10:36 AM
Word 'round the campfire is Anthony wasn't drawing a salary from Erion, just got the ride itself.

If that's true, sounds like he was already on the "ride of last resort". Time will indeed tell!

Steve Breen
04-14-2004, 10:36 AM
Word 'round the campfire is Anthony wasn't drawing a salary from Erion, just got the ride itself.

If that's true, sounds like he was already on the "ride of last resort". Time will indeed tell!

Jason Keene
04-14-2004, 11:36 AM
I'm with Joe on this... But hey, I also think that everyone in the Superbike class should have the same spec bike instead of this factory domination that we have now.

Jason Keene
04-14-2004, 11:36 AM
I'm with Joe on this... But hey, I also think that everyone in the Superbike class should have the same spec bike instead of this factory domination that we have now.

marcus mcbain
04-14-2004, 11:50 AM
I applaud Honda/Erion for the move. I cannot understand how we as a society don't "get it".

I stopped smoking weed when I realized I had to pass a urine test to keep my job(s). Gobert has worked in an industry where public image and perception is part of the job. Gobert claimed to clean up his act. Getting arrested for DUI is not anyones idea of "cleaning up your act". He will be remember as one of the biggest wastes of talent.

I think many in this country want to lower the standards for acceptable behavior to justify their own shortcomings rather than elevate their own personal discipline and performance.

It would be a refreshing change to see more people understand the responsibility bestowed upon them, accept it, and act in a manner that is representative.

Marcus

marcus mcbain
04-14-2004, 11:50 AM
I applaud Honda/Erion for the move. I cannot understand how we as a society don't "get it".

I stopped smoking weed when I realized I had to pass a urine test to keep my job(s). Gobert has worked in an industry where public image and perception is part of the job. Gobert claimed to clean up his act. Getting arrested for DUI is not anyones idea of "cleaning up your act". He will be remember as one of the biggest wastes of talent.

I think many in this country want to lower the standards for acceptable behavior to justify their own shortcomings rather than elevate their own personal discipline and performance.

It would be a refreshing change to see more people understand the responsibility bestowed upon them, accept it, and act in a manner that is representative.

Marcus

cedestech
04-14-2004, 12:01 PM
Damn I hate it when I agree with Marcus......

cedestech
04-14-2004, 12:01 PM
Damn I hate it when I agree with Marcus......

Steve Breen
04-14-2004, 12:03 PM
It's my perception that the beef against Anthony Gobert has been primarily his work ethic, or lack thereof.

He has a history of relying on strictly his talent -- which is amazing -- but not putting in much effort to achieve consistent results. Shouldn't a guy with his talent level have achieved a *bunch* of championships by now?
Others have done more with less talent ...

Remember Loudon 3-4 years back?
Instead of working through a stack of tires to find a good race setup, he bailed and played golf. And the very next day he came back to the track cold and set pole. Hard to argue with the results, but it most certainly shows lack of dedication.

And what about him bailing on Vance and Hines - just didn't show? Didn't even bother to give any sort excuse, lame or otherwise?

So yeah, it's his history that is being looked at: his displayed lack of committment!

And after toking it up and getting caught, he has to know folks are going to scrutinize his off track behavior more than other riders ... sorta like being on parole.

Give that ride to someone willing to work for it...

Steve Breen
04-14-2004, 12:03 PM
It's my perception that the beef against Anthony Gobert has been primarily his work ethic, or lack thereof.

He has a history of relying on strictly his talent -- which is amazing -- but not putting in much effort to achieve consistent results. Shouldn't a guy with his talent level have achieved a *bunch* of championships by now?
Others have done more with less talent ...

Remember Loudon 3-4 years back?
Instead of working through a stack of tires to find a good race setup, he bailed and played golf. And the very next day he came back to the track cold and set pole. Hard to argue with the results, but it most certainly shows lack of dedication.

And what about him bailing on Vance and Hines - just didn't show? Didn't even bother to give any sort excuse, lame or otherwise?

So yeah, it's his history that is being looked at: his displayed lack of committment!

And after toking it up and getting caught, he has to know folks are going to scrutinize his off track behavior more than other riders ... sorta like being on parole.

Give that ride to someone willing to work for it...

ysr612
04-14-2004, 12:14 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Emmett Dibble:
Damn I hate it when I agree with Marcus...... </div></div>don't we all but he is often right and you got to give the devil his due.

ps got to agree on the ama thing too.

ysr612
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Emmett Dibble:
Damn I hate it when I agree with Marcus...... </div></div>don't we all but he is often right and you got to give the devil his due.

ps got to agree on the ama thing too.

John Orchard
Joe, I think you're missing the point. I empathize with you! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

John Orchard
Joe, I think you're missing the point. I empathize with you! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Pierson Callahan
04-14-2004, 01:31 PM
Joe I agree with you I think that Yosh should have let Yates go. But he has been winning races for them. It seems that as long as you perform well, no matter what the sport they will forgive you over, over, over, over, and over again. Especially Football and Basketball.
It is funny because I was speaking with someone who works with one of the other Goberts, and we had this same discussion, it seems that there were issues that came up when he had "problems" with his visa, I find it hard to believe that all the other brothers made it back in time, and had been testing months before Daytona. The problems with him were further magnified with his poor showing at the last race. If I was the team manager/owner he would have been gone as well. But then again so would have Yates. I mean would you want your team represented that way? Your name on a bike with someone who is causing problems, it gives them a black eye. And keeping with the Japanese Philosophy, I still cannot believe that Yates has a job, because of the way he dishonered them. I don't want to sound like a stick in the mud, I like to party just as much as the next person, I like to take risks, hell we race motorcycles you have to be a little edgy to do that , but I think there is a line of what is appropriate and what is not and when you cross it I think you need to be held accountable for your actions. It is sad to see one with so much talent, consistantly make poor choices. The bright spot is that maybe someone who did not have a ride before, might just get called up from the bull pen, Haner was looking pretty good running in 4th before the red flag. Everything happens for a reason we just have not been able to see it yet!

Pierson Callahan
04-14-2004, 01:31 PM
Joe I agree with you I think that Yosh should have let Yates go. But he has been winning races for them. It seems that as long as you perform well, no matter what the sport they will forgive you over, over, over, over, and over again. Especially Football and Basketball.
It is funny because I was speaking with someone who works with one of the other Goberts, and we had this same discussion, it seems that there were issues that came up when he had "problems" with his visa, I find it hard to believe that all the other brothers made it back in time, and had been testing months before Daytona. The problems with him were further magnified with his poor showing at the last race. If I was the team manager/owner he would have been gone as well. But then again so would have Yates. I mean would you want your team represented that way? Your name on a bike with someone who is causing problems, it gives them a black eye. And keeping with the Japanese Philosophy, I still cannot believe that Yates has a job, because of the way he dishonered them. I don't want to sound like a stick in the mud, I like to party just as much as the next person, I like to take risks, hell we race motorcycles you have to be a little edgy to do that , but I think there is a line of what is appropriate and what is not and when you cross it I think you need to be held accountable for your actions. It is sad to see one with so much talent, consistantly make poor choices. The bright spot is that maybe someone who did not have a ride before, might just get called up from the bull pen, Haner was looking pretty good running in 4th before the red flag. Everything happens for a reason we just have not been able to see it yet!

brianlee106
04-14-2004, 02:03 PM
Anthonys deal was done very late i worked for Craig Connell last yr with Annandale and flights are very hard too get and visas are even harder too get in a short period of time...by the way the other Goberts are 2 of the nicest racers in the pits seem too really have on ALOT STRAIGHTER THAN BIG BRO..

brianlee106
04-14-2004, 02:03 PM
Anthonys deal was done very late i worked for Craig Connell last yr with Annandale and flights are very hard too get and visas are even harder too get in a short period of time...by the way the other Goberts are 2 of the nicest racers in the pits seem too really have on ALOT STRAIGHTER THAN BIG BRO..

GreSam
04-14-2004, 03:33 PM
All I can say is that when you are riding a bike for a team and sponsored by a product, your actions on and off the track are in direct relation to that sponsor. I do think that Yates should have been punished more, and I have no problem with Gobert getting sacked because a DUI is just a stupid thing to get.

As for football, baseball and basketball... I can't stand the sports simply because most of the people playing come across to me as thugs.

GreSam
04-14-2004, 03:33 PM
All I can say is that when you are riding a bike for a team and sponsored by a product, your actions on and off the track are in direct relation to that sponsor. I do think that Yates should have been punished more, and I have no problem with Gobert getting sacked because a DUI is just a stupid thing to get.

As for football, baseball and basketball... I can't stand the sports simply because most of the people playing come across to me as thugs.

marcus mcbain
04-14-2004, 04:19 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Greg Sampson:
As for football, baseball and basketball... I can't stand the sports simply because most of the people playing come across to me as thugs. </div></div>I agree. I played football in College and can't stand watching the pros, because these guys are nothing more than overpaid jerks that don't even play the game worth a flip anymore.

Marcus

marcus mcbain
04-14-2004, 04:19 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Greg Sampson:
As for football, baseball and basketball... I can't stand the sports simply because most of the people playing come across to me as thugs. </div></div>I agree. I played football in College and can't stand watching the pros, because these guys are nothing more than overpaid jerks that don't even play the game worth a flip anymore.

Marcus

Ara Tidwell
04-14-2004, 04:44 PM
This post is directed at no-one... So no, I'm not talking about you incase you're wondering. It's just another something to be said and considered.

Reality check here?

I'm the last person to defend another freggin drunk on the road.. but just to put things into perspective weather I agree with them or not

Next time a race is over, look at your fellow racers. Probably half of them have had at least 2-3 beers either after awards or a dinner in town, get behind their motorcycle transport rigs and start their trip. Sad... But does that mean we should ban half of the people in the CMRA from racing? NO. We just wouldn't have any competition.

Most all of us have done stupid things, weather it be drive behind the week with a .08, use recreational drugs, lie on taxes, or habitually ride wheelies on public roads <--- perhaps the latter one is an example of my self. Some get caught, some don't, but few to none of us are as goody two-shoes as we would like to think. Infact I can only think of a few people, that haven't driven behind the wheel with an illegal BAC. Most are not habitual offenders and frown upon their mistakes even though they usually don't get caught. Anothny did, we think.

So... Shame on him.

Besides, we don't really know what happened. He got arrested on "suspision of drunk driving". Perhaps he was just being an idiot and pulling some racetrack moves on the grandma infront of him going 15mph under the speedlimit, got pulled over, then refused a breathalizer test out of principle and then the cop arrested him because of his behavior on the road and the fact that he did not take the test... Just a theory. Point is, we don't know what happened.

I'm not too happy with everone jumping to conclusions. You suck if you drive behind the wheel drunk.... But don't try to pretend you're a saint and talk down on others if you're no saint your self.

Personally, I wish Anthony the best. I wish everyone the best. I hope he overcomes any personal problems he's been having and eventually shines at whatever he wants to do.

I know my post is contraversial, but please be respectful with any comments you make.

Ara Tidwell
04-14-2004, 04:44 PM
This post is directed at no-one... So no, I'm not talking about you incase you're wondering. It's just another something to be said and considered.

Reality check here?

I'm the last person to defend another freggin drunk on the road.. but just to put things into perspective weather I agree with them or not

Next time a race is over, look at your fellow racers. Probably half of them have had at least 2-3 beers either after awards or a dinner in town, get behind their motorcycle transport rigs and start their trip. Sad... But does that mean we should ban half of the people in the CMRA from racing? NO. We just wouldn't have any competition.

Most all of us have done stupid things, weather it be drive behind the week with a .08, use recreational drugs, lie on taxes, or habitually ride wheelies on public roads <--- perhaps the latter one is an example of my self. Some get caught, some don't, but few to none of us are as goody two-shoes as we would like to think. Infact I can only think of a few people, that haven't driven behind the wheel with an illegal BAC. Most are not habitual offenders and frown upon their mistakes even though they usually don't get caught. Anothny did, we think.

So... Shame on him.

Besides, we don't really know what happened. He got arrested on "suspision of drunk driving". Perhaps he was just being an idiot and pulling some racetrack moves on the grandma infront of him going 15mph under the speedlimit, got pulled over, then refused a breathalizer test out of principle and then the cop arrested him because of his behavior on the road and the fact that he did not take the test... Just a theory. Point is, we don't know what happened.

I'm not too happy with everone jumping to conclusions. You suck if you drive behind the wheel drunk.... But don't try to pretend you're a saint and talk down on others if you're no saint your self.

Personally, I wish Anthony the best. I wish everyone the best. I hope he overcomes any personal problems he's been having and eventually shines at whatever he wants to do.

I know my post is contraversial, but please be respectful with any comments you make.

David Branyon
04-14-2004, 07:49 PM
Alright, I'll bite.

I think they were right to drop Gobert. Business-wise, he is a bad promoter for your sponsors. Riding wise, he doesn't want it bad enough. It's hard to watch, 'cause as some have said, he is so talented, he can almost hold his own with the others without putting a lot of effort in, but it is demoralizing to a team to have a guy around who doesn't care, not to mention that he's not quite good enough to get it down without putting in some effort.

Now the morality side. We've all made mistakes, me included of course. That doesn't mean my mistakes are okay, and that anyone else who does the same thing is okay. My mistakes were WRONG, and anyone else who does the same thing is wrong. I don't have to be perfect to realize when someone is screwing up.

We go down this road and pretty soon you've got the "Yeah, but really, there were 20,000 homicides in the US last year, why are we cracking down on them so hard? It happens all the time. I mean it's not like YOU are perfect. Let's cut them a break. Everybody does it." A DUI, moreso under the older, higher BAC levels required, is a homicide that hasn't happened yet. The fact of whether or not I have ever gotten behind the wheel over the limit or not has no relation to whether it's wrong or not. I should have been put in the slammer if I did.

This is one of the things I hate about things like ridiculously low speed limits, lowering the BAC to 0.08% (from 0.10%), and other weenie activities. The typical thing in the US seems to be:
1. make a law
2. don't enforce it
3. grumble about the results of not enforcing it, but still don't enforce it.
4. make a more stringent law so that nearly everyone is breaking it, but still don't enforce it.
5. everyone realizes that the law is ridiculous and unenforceable since everyone is breaking it.
6. lose respect for the whole system of laws.

And I'm part of it, don't get me wrong. I say make the BAC 0.10 or 0.12 where if you catch someone at that level they are really impaired and then if you catch them, NAIL THEM. Mandatory jail time and lose their license for a year on the first infraction. If you drop it to a low enough number, a person can drive around with pretty good control of himself and get busted. Then no one is really motivated to nail him to the wall for it. Same with speed limits, etc.

If I raised my kids with the kind of double talk and lack of enforcement that goes on in our public sector, I think it's a pretty safe bet that they'd kill me, themselves, or someone else and/or burn the house down before they turned 15. Say it, and then MEAN IT and back it up. If the speed limit on your street is 25 and you are hacked off because people are driving 40, there is no point in dropping the limit to 15! (Side note: don't get me started on speed bumps!)

Wow, where'd all that come from? Sorry for the rant. That's my $1.50 worth. Someone owes me $1.48. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

David Branyon
04-14-2004, 07:49 PM
Alright, I'll bite.

I think they were right to drop Gobert. Business-wise, he is a bad promoter for your sponsors. Riding wise, he doesn't want it bad enough. It's hard to watch, 'cause as some have said, he is so talented, he can almost hold his own with the others without putting a lot of effort in, but it is demoralizing to a team to have a guy around who doesn't care, not to mention that he's not quite good enough to get it down without putting in some effort.

Now the morality side. We've all made mistakes, me included of course. That doesn't mean my mistakes are okay, and that anyone else who does the same thing is okay. My mistakes were WRONG, and anyone else who does the same thing is wrong. I don't have to be perfect to realize when someone is screwing up.

We go down this road and pretty soon you've got the "Yeah, but really, there were 20,000 homicides in the US last year, why are we cracking down on them so hard? It happens all the time. I mean it's not like YOU are perfect. Let's cut them a break. Everybody does it." A DUI, moreso under the older, higher BAC levels required, is a homicide that hasn't happened yet. The fact of whether or not I have ever gotten behind the wheel over the limit or not has no relation to whether it's wrong or not. I should have been put in the slammer if I did.

This is one of the things I hate about things like ridiculously low speed limits, lowering the BAC to 0.08% (from 0.10%), and other weenie activities. The typical thing in the US seems to be:
1. make a law
2. don't enforce it
3. grumble about the results of not enforcing it, but still don't enforce it.
4. make a more stringent law so that nearly everyone is breaking it, but still don't enforce it.
5. everyone realizes that the law is ridiculous and unenforceable since everyone is breaking it.
6. lose respect for the whole system of laws.

And I'm part of it, don't get me wrong. I say make the BAC 0.10 or 0.12 where if you catch someone at that level they are really impaired and then if you catch them, NAIL THEM. Mandatory jail time and lose their license for a year on the first infraction. If you drop it to a low enough number, a person can drive around with pretty good control of himself and get busted. Then no one is really motivated to nail him to the wall for it. Same with speed limits, etc.

If I raised my kids with the kind of double talk and lack of enforcement that goes on in our public sector, I think it's a pretty safe bet that they'd kill me, themselves, or someone else and/or burn the house down before they turned 15. Say it, and then MEAN IT and back it up. If the speed limit on your street is 25 and you are hacked off because people are driving 40, there is no point in dropping the limit to 15! (Side note: don't get me started on speed bumps!)

Wow, where'd all that come from? Sorry for the rant. That's my $1.50 worth. Someone owes me $1.48. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Jonathan Wright
04-14-2004, 08:17 PM
First off, I do say that Pierson Callahan is indeed one of the biggest sticks in the mud around. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Now, with that being said, to me it's a question of two issues:

Gobert being let go because of a pattern of bad decisions, lax work ethic, and other stupid stuff

-or-

The rightness in his 'punishment' for getting a DUI.

Gobert being let go is indeed a decision the team owner owes himself to make. Apparantly for one reason or another he thought Gobert was going to be a detriment and not an asset.

Now, as to Marcus's comments on his getting what he deserved as part of the DUI thing: I'll have to say his punishment will be handed out by the justice system. Not his employer.

Having had similar troubles as Mr Gobert I do not make excuses for what I did. But I did my punishment, paid my fines, and still have my job. And many of the other lawyers and other 'respectable' members of society who have had similar troubles still have their careers. Habitual offenders notwithstanding.

While it is true that he is publicly representing Erion racing, most folks have a reasonable expectation for those who endorse or work with products. If you don't want an Erion product because Gobert did something stupid, thats your choice. But it has little bearing on my decision unless it's very big.

I think in the scope of just comparing Gobert's DUI and Yate's actions, Yates had more of a direct influence on the public perception of racing and his team than Gobert. In my mind Yates should have been canned on the spot.

However, if Gobert does indeed have private 'demons' to work on, he'll have to do that on his own time, and in his privacy. And his punishment will be at the hands of the judicial system. Good or bad.

And I do agree with Pierson: Had Gobert done very well this would be an academic discussion.

Jonathan Wright
04-14-2004, 08:17 PM
First off, I do say that Pierson Callahan is indeed one of the biggest sticks in the mud around. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Now, with that being said, to me it's a question of two issues:

Gobert being let go because of a pattern of bad decisions, lax work ethic, and other stupid stuff

-or-

The rightness in his 'punishment' for getting a DUI.

Gobert being let go is indeed a decision the team owner owes himself to make. Apparantly for one reason or another he thought Gobert was going to be a detriment and not an asset.

Now, as to Marcus's comments on his getting what he deserved as part of the DUI thing: I'll have to say his punishment will be handed out by the justice system. Not his employer.

Having had similar troubles as Mr Gobert I do not make excuses for what I did. But I did my punishment, paid my fines, and still have my job. And many of the other lawyers and other 'respectable' members of society who have had similar troubles still have their careers. Habitual offenders notwithstanding.

While it is true that he is publicly representing Erion racing, most folks have a reasonable expectation for those who endorse or work with products. If you don't want an Erion product because Gobert did something stupid, thats your choice. But it has little bearing on my decision unless it's very big.

I think in the scope of just comparing Gobert's DUI and Yate's actions, Yates had more of a direct influence on the public perception of racing and his team than Gobert. In my mind Yates should have been canned on the spot.

However, if Gobert does indeed have private 'demons' to work on, he'll have to do that on his own time, and in his privacy. And his punishment will be at the hands of the judicial system. Good or bad.

And I do agree with Pierson: Had Gobert done very well this would be an academic discussion.

darick
04-14-2004, 08:30 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Jonathan Wright:

</div></div>Hmmmmmm......let me ask the question then. If you currently carry a CDL license and you get a DUI/DWI do you still keep your job?

It all boils down to one thing with Go Show....he has been tried in the court of public opinion and I bet Kevin Erion knows this all too well. So, better to part ways sooner than later. To have the already contempuous (against Go Show) AMA folks (who caught him smoking mary jane) surround the prestigious Erion racing name with a bad funk would just not be good business no matter what way you look at it.

darick
04-14-2004, 08:30 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Jonathan Wright:

</div></div>Hmmmmmm......let me ask the question then. If you currently carry a CDL license and you get a DUI/DWI do you still keep your job?

It all boils down to one thing with Go Show....he has been tried in the court of public opinion and I bet Kevin Erion knows this all too well. So, better to part ways sooner than later. To have the already contempuous (against Go Show) AMA folks (who caught him smoking mary jane) surround the prestigious Erion racing name with a bad funk would just not be good business no matter what way you look at it.

tinman
04-14-2004, 08:41 PM
I am glad to see someone pay for their actions. As a sponsored anything or public official these people should set an example. They are someone that is looked up to and some even idolized. I am tired of professional sports and all that they get away with. And then they get fined to what amounts to like a dollar for Joe Blow. And it is no comparison to look at Mr. Cmra racer and compare this to them. The are not, most at least, public figures or sponsored by big names. If they get a DUI they might get mentioned in the arrest section of the local paper, maybe on this board, not nationally or possibly world recognition. I am not defending drinking and driving at all, I have had friends killed by drunk drivers. What did they get? probation. Like I said glad to see it happen. Yeah, with our acceptance of things now it seems he's singled out. Wish it would happen more. Then maybe people would think more about their actions.

tinman
04-14-2004, 08:41 PM
I am glad to see someone pay for their actions. As a sponsored anything or public official these people should set an example. They are someone that is looked up to and some even idolized. I am tired of professional sports and all that they get away with. And then they get fined to what amounts to like a dollar for Joe Blow. And it is no comparison to look at Mr. Cmra racer and compare this to them. The are not, most at least, public figures or sponsored by big names. If they get a DUI they might get mentioned in the arrest section of the local paper, maybe on this board, not nationally or possibly world recognition. I am not defending drinking and driving at all, I have had friends killed by drunk drivers. What did they get? probation. Like I said glad to see it happen. Yeah, with our acceptance of things now it seems he's singled out. Wish it would happen more. Then maybe people would think more about their actions.

Jonathan Wright
04-15-2004, 02:55 PM
CDL - that's in a professional context, so yes, DUI they should get sacked.

But I still maintain that if Gobert was winning, he'd still be riding.

And I don't like it, either.

Yates is still riding. Sprewell is still dribbling (and the list continues of thugs getting paid huge sums of money......)

Jonathan Wright
04-15-2004, 02:55 PM
CDL - that's in a professional context, so yes, DUI they should get sacked.

But I still maintain that if Gobert was winning, he'd still be riding.

And I don't like it, either.

Yates is still riding. Sprewell is still dribbling (and the list continues of thugs getting paid huge sums of money......)