PDA

View Full Version : New track?

Angela McWilliams
07-22-2014, 05:42 PM
http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2014/07/motorsports-track-to-be-added-to-grand-texas-plan/#17943101=0

Dennis King
07-23-2014, 05:33 AM
Maybe for minis and motards. The combined length of both tracks on the complex is 2 miles

Sandy Kay
07-23-2014, 07:46 AM
Maybe for minis and motards. The combined length of both tracks on the complex is 2 miles

I'm hoping that it will be more than that. If it's gonna accommodate cars, you would think that the big track would be at least the size of MSRH. Here is another article that I saw last week. The timing would be good since TWS is going away.

http://kart360.com/press/motorsportz...-texas-is-born (http://kart360.com/press/motorsportz-at-grand-texas-is-born)

Jim Dugger
07-23-2014, 08:00 AM
The timing would be good since TWS is going away.

The following comments are completely unfounded, not researched drivel:

I wonder about TWS "going away"... I think there's a possibility we may have more years left than we realize.

The property TWS sits on will require a few million dollars worth of remediation to be useful for any other purpose. And, while College Station is growing, right now TWS is not the only large piece of dirt on the edge of the city. That makes it comparatively expensive to develop... at least for now.

Of course, that will change in time... but it might keep TWS around for us for a few more years.

Jesse Davis
07-23-2014, 09:44 AM
sweet. liberty motorsports park V.2.0

Jim Dugger
07-23-2014, 10:07 AM
sweet. liberty motorsports park V.2.0

We can always cross our fingers and hope for better outcomes. I know when I first heard COTA proposed I chuckled more than once... and look what happened.

Angela McWilliams
07-23-2014, 11:28 AM
Its good to know developments are happening in Texas. Why doesn't AMA race down here? Where is the 6th race going to be?

Chris Woolsey
07-23-2014, 11:37 AM
Just sheer curiosity, but why is COTA not a possible location for us? I have to imagine it would be more expensive, but is that the sole reason? I see stuff that isn't MotoGP, F1, etc. running there all the time.

David Adams11
07-23-2014, 11:46 AM
It's $55,000 a day to rent and from what I have heard COTA doesn't really want to host lots of events there. They have to keep a very high level of quality of facilities and track conditions. I have also heard if you damage the track(gouge the pavement or damage a guard rail) you are on the hook to pay for it. It would be awesome to ride there but for now it's too much money(atleast that's my guess)

Joe Rodriguez
07-23-2014, 01:49 PM
msr Cresson is only 1.7.....

William Guthrie
07-23-2014, 02:05 PM
CMRA racing COTA will be like Brigadoon.

Jim Dugger
07-23-2014, 03:03 PM
Just sheer curiosity, but why is COTA not a possible location for us?

It's been discussed on the board a couple of times, but it's a combination of both cost and COTAs expectations for attendees of motorcycle events.

Give it time; I do think we will race there eventually, I just cannot predict when.

Alan Etheredge
07-23-2014, 05:42 PM
The following comments are completely unfounded, not researched drivel:

The property TWS sits on will require a few million dollars worth of remediation to be useful for any other purpose. .......
Just curious, do you know if they have any underground petroleum tanks there ... all I've seen are the above-ground in the paddock.

And I'm not about to argue with your bottom-line speculation, it's at least as good as any other I've seen or spouted myself ;-)

Joe Rodriguez
07-23-2014, 06:51 PM
once the new is worn out, its fading IMHO from what RS is doing with their registration for the next one.
it only emplies that COTA wants a piece of the action , or at least more of it.
but still, i dont think itll be within the time period i race.

Jim Dugger
07-23-2014, 07:18 PM
Just curious, do you know if they have any underground petroleum tanks there ... all I've seen are the above-ground in the paddock.

I don't know. I was just counting dump trucks in my head for hauling off all that concrete (stands, banking, etc.) to get back to grade...

Jim Dugger
07-23-2014, 07:19 PM
once the new is worn out, its fading IMHO from what RS is doing with their registration for the next one.

Fill me in -- I don't understand the reference.

Chris Woolsey
07-24-2014, 12:05 AM
It's been discussed on the board a couple of times, but it's a combination of both cost and COTAs expectations for attendees of motorcycle events.

Give it time; I do think we will race there eventually, I just cannot predict when.

Well, someone should let them know that no one will go if there aren't any races.

Jim Dugger
07-24-2014, 07:27 AM
I am not privy to COTA's balance sheet, but my suspicion is they could make their nut on F1 and V8 Supercars alone.

Joe Rodriguez
07-24-2014, 09:18 AM
Fill me in -- I don't understand the reference.

i received an email, stating that if i planned to attend, i needed to register on the COTA site.
that kindda feels like MSRH, where they run the show and have instructors on their "payroll".
thats all i have on that , since i have no plans on attending, just thought it was odd for RS...
or maybe RS just dont want to throw down whatever the deposit is... may be $55k,,,

Jim Dugger
07-24-2014, 09:33 AM
i received an email, stating that if i planned to attend, i needed to register on the COTA site.

There may be a confusion here.

During this year's first COTA registration, the RideSmart registration web site crashed from all the interest in the event. In order to help prevent this again, RideSmart created a different website with more capacity specifically for COTA registration. I believe that is what you are referring to.

To my knowledge -- and it could be wrong, as I don't use RideSmart's registration system, either -- RideSmart is still running the September COTA event as it did before, there's just a different registration platform for it that RideSmart also operates.

I'm quite aware what a RideSmart instructor makes for each day of teaching. I can assure you, it doesn't even cover the cost of travel to the track and gas for the bike. Those guys are doing it because it's fun and they enjoy it.

Chris Woolsey
07-24-2014, 12:58 PM
I am not privy to COTA's balance sheet, but my suspicion is they could make their nut on F1 and V8 Supercars alone.

Well, then what's their problem? Open it up and let's go racing!

Jesse Davis
07-24-2014, 01:56 PM
not even close....

Jim Dugger
07-24-2014, 07:48 PM
Do share...

Chris Coffey
07-25-2014, 09:11 AM
It's $55,000 a day to rent and from what I have heard COTA doesn't really want to host lots of events there. They have to keep a very high level of quality of facilities and track conditions. I have also heard if you damage the track(gouge the pavement or damage a guard rail) you are on the hook to pay for it. It would be awesome to ride there but for now it's too much money(atleast that's my guess)
That's all bull **** scare tactics. I was there for RS when someone dumped oil and I crashed in it. I dug a rut through the astroturf about 10 ft long. There was also a bike fire that weekend.

Did a PCA event there where someone put it in the wall.

Did a HSR event there with a GT40 and a Lola and there were a few major crashes with a couple roll overs.

Did a World Challenge race there, guys destroyed the turf and had multiple roll overs. (Guy pitted with us flipped his fiat twice)

Did a Ferrari Challenge race there with a guy putting it in the wall and the car had to come back on a forklift.

No one I know has gotten charged, and no one I know has heard of anyone being charged.

Well, someone should let them know that no one will go if there aren't any races.
They know better then to believe that.

If you believe that then you obviously have no idea how much it costs to maintain that facility or put on an event of that scale.

Jim Dugger
07-25-2014, 09:55 AM
If you believe that then you obviously have no idea how much it costs to maintain that facility or put on an event of that scale.

Fill me in! Please!

Are you suggesting they don't make money on F1?