PDA

View Full Version : the ninja 250 ?

Joe Rodriguez
08-01-2014, 09:00 AM
well, being that i cant keep a BBE team together to save my life, im looking for some action in the MINI world.
in an attempt to save me a little reading, i ask 'yall this...
A: as a 200+ lb rider,is the 250 ninjer a good choice , or would be best to go with a 300?
B: what kind budget is expected on a new build for one of these things, to start off...?

fire away!

Dustin Ducote
08-01-2014, 09:11 AM
200 OR 200+.. On the 250 you will lose out to the kids at places like TWS but you will be competitive. But it's also on the rider and it takes a bit of time to adjust to them.

This is coming from some one that is 190-200 give or take a few.

Robert Bremer
08-01-2014, 09:16 AM
There are a few 200#+ riders on the 250's, me being one of them. The faster LWE teams can put a 250 on the overall podium even with the 300's and 500's on the track but the smaller riders/bigger motors definitely pull away n the straights.

The 250's are way more plentiful and cheaper to buy. there is a great deal for the Nexx helmets LWE bike in the classifieds now that is already built for endurance racing including a dry break fuel tank. I would get that bike if I didn't already have one.

If you start with a street ninja 250 and want to add new suspension, bodywork, and exhaust/jetting you will easily blow through $2500 on top of the purchase price of the bike. Or much more depending on the quality of components.

Dustin Ducote
08-01-2014, 09:26 AM
^ Yep What Robert just said.

Also how do you have your team set up that it keeps failing? What is the problem that you are running into?

Joe Rodriguez
08-01-2014, 09:32 AM
makes sense, i should have mentioned, just looking to sprint them,
im around 220# before leather.. lol

Josh Henke
08-01-2014, 09:35 AM
My .02 - I'm 195lbs nude and an inexperienced 250 rider. Last Saturday morning was my first time at TWS on a small bike and I got down to a 2:07.7 and mostly 2:08-2:09, helping my team get to 2nd in class. I'm on NEXX Helmets team and, though I think that bike is strong, it was getting motored by other 250's with similarly-weighted riders even a moment after pulling out of their draft. JC Camacho was able to turn some 2:06.1's on it (yep, during an ENDURANCE race), though I have 60lbs on him. Further, jumping on a 300 only makes you more competitive in overall, but I think it isn't doing much for your class. 250 classes are a lot bigger still, and, the smaller the bike, the greater the fun. All that to say I wouldn't let your weight affect your decision between a 250 and a 300 much.

In case it sounded like I was knocking David K's NEXX 250 endurance bike, far from it. I have little experience on these bikes, but it is reliable, looks good, has that very-quick-fuel setup that I haven't seen spill a drop, and is more than competitive power-wise with other 250's even though it runs on 87 octane pump. I just don't want him to sell it before the last round.

Joe Rodriguez
08-01-2014, 09:41 AM
i think its sold, if Jose's youre talking about...the only one i saw on the classifieds....

Josh Henke
08-01-2014, 09:44 AM
i think its sold, if Jose's youre talking about...the only one i saw on the classifieds....
1st page, still there - http://www.cmraracing.com/showthread.php?30862-NEXX-Helmets-Podium-Ninja-250-4-Sale-4K

Scott Martin
08-01-2014, 09:48 AM
A: as a 200+ lb rider,is the 250 ninjer a good choice , or would be best to go with a 300?
B: what kind budget is expected on a new build for one of these things, to start off...?

a: you'll do fine on a 250, if that is what you want to race. there are plenty of bigger guys hauling *** on these things.

b: trust me - you want to find an already prepped bike, if possible. you'll ending up putting well more into a new build than the bike will be worth once you are done. unless you are just looking for the "experience" of building a race bike the way you want it done, or you want to race something that is relatively new/rare (ie, no race-prepped bikes available at any price), I'd steer clear of building one, even if you get a good price on the bike itself.

Heinz Roy
08-01-2014, 09:49 AM
Hey Joe...my two cents. You know me...I tip the scales. Just a bit.

The 250, as Robert said, is plentiful. And now, the 300 is as well. I am not sure, but I am hearing many upgrades are the same sans the motor stuff. The 300 riders can attest to that. If you have an issue during an event, you'll be surround my more 250 parts than you can shake a stick at. Same with all the helping hands.

KTM 390 is on the horizon. : )

LWE is inexpensive and a hoot. I really like folks running in this class and they are tolerant of me and my slow big butt. Did I mention it is a hoot?!

$300 for 6-hour endurance, one set of tires, gas, and something to wipe the big ol' grin off your face is all you need for a weekend (besides what it takes to get there). The equivalent BBE race...well, you know what that costs.

If you ever want to test ride one, you are very welcome to hop on mine at a ECR track day. I try to make it out there when Maggie offers them.

Let me know if I can ever lend ya a hand. Be happy to.

Joe Rodriguez
08-01-2014, 02:16 PM
yeah,
ive built my share of bikes from daing near 0 miles, rc8,gsxr600,gsxr1000,cbr1000 and cbr600.
i know good and well all the money that goes into building any race bike i guess, only concern with that is its life expectancy after a season of WOT...

Tom Anderson
08-01-2014, 02:57 PM
Get one with as fresh an engine as possible. The head is the weak link.

Yes, you'll have fun on the 250 and can be competitive. That goes for the 300 and 500 too.

Michael De Simone
08-01-2014, 03:00 PM
yeah,
ive built my share of bikes from daing near 0 miles, rc8,gsxr600,gsxr1000,cbr1000 and cbr600.
i know good and well all the money that goes into building any race bike i guess, only concern with that is its life expectancy after a season of WOT...

You can get an eBay motor for a 250 for about $600 if you thrash it too bad.

I'm getting to be well over 200 lbs and I still have lots fun on the bike. I figure if I can get fast on that bike I can be fast on anything.

Kasey Lewis
08-04-2014, 07:47 AM
yeah,
i know good and well all the money that goes into building any race bike i guess, only concern with that is its life expectancy after a season of WOT... I got two seasons out of a 250 with about 5500 street miles and three fat kids racing it, sprint and endurance. And i believe Dennis is still running one of them. So they are not too bad on life. Parts on the 300 and 250 interchange for the most part, the engine on the 300 is much easier to maintain, no carbs, spin on oil filter, but the grid is still real small, and they are more expensive to buy. Personally i'd build one, being a bigger guy you'll pay a good amount swapping parts out to fit. And if you want to race and have fun, do LWE and not the sprints, bigger guys get murdered in the sprints, but in LWE there's always someone to play with.

Heinz Roy
08-04-2014, 09:00 AM
I purchased a used one that ran one year in the CMRA. So far (knock on wood) I have three seasons on it. I treat it better than my wife (almost). Tons of fun, reliable as heck.

Jesse Davis
08-04-2014, 09:41 AM
get a 500