PDA

View Full Version : 212 Decals SBKA Class Sponsorship - Input requested

Dirk Anderson
10-15-2014, 05:57 PM
This year we here at 212 decals wanted to do a something a little different for sponsoring the Expert Superbike A class.
So, we decided a better way to get more people on the grid and to allow more people a chance at contingency $$$ was to payout the contingency randomly.
Anyone who entered the SBKA race and gridded up...had a chance at getting $$$ for race entries.
Names were put in a hat and if your name was drawn first you got $65 race entry credit, name drawn second $50 race entry credit and name drawn third $35 race entry credit.

Do you think this was a good way to:
1-Get more people on the grid?
2-Have a better way to disperse funds?
3-Give everybody a chance at $$$?

What would you do differently if you were to sponsor a race class within the CMRA?

Peyton Inge
10-15-2014, 08:04 PM
That's a very creative idea.

Ty Howard
10-15-2014, 09:24 PM
Great idea. Spread the love around and gives everyone a chance to win. I believe in the fastest guy should win the $ but this is good for sustaining race entries if everyone has a chance to win. This type of lottery has done wonders for the horse barrell racing world and now the Asbk class.

Dennis King
10-15-2014, 10:29 PM
If it were me I would say the winner gets the highest payout because they did in fact win. Second highest would go to the person who gained the most spots from grid position to finishing position, 3rd payout to a random, starting entry and $20 to whoever gets the holeshot

Alan Etheredge
10-16-2014, 09:25 AM
FWIW Dirk I think your intentions/objectives were good. The only 'improvement' I'd suggest is that somehow 'we' (you and the CMRA) need to better publicize the payout scheme to have the desired effect to increase participation - I don't think it was widely understood that any participant had an equal shot at the award.

Thanks very much for your support of CMRA racers! I hope you'll be back in '15 and we can do a better job of getting the word out about the opportunity your program presents.

Ron Mears
10-16-2014, 10:26 AM
I like the idea of random payouts in some classes. Were the sponsorship "winners" of each round announced somewhere? Generally the front runners mention their supporters as part of race reports and thank you interviews, but this type of support depends on different channels to get recognized.

Kasey Lewis
10-16-2014, 10:27 AM
Can't we just give the top 10 guys a 30 second wait......I'd have a chance then to win some money.

Kasey Lewis
10-16-2014, 10:28 AM
Seriously, a good idea. I would balance that with a 50/50 setup. Half the races random, half paid on 1/2/3. Everybody gets a chance

Dirk Anderson
10-16-2014, 10:33 AM
If it were me I would say the winner gets the highest payout because they did in fact win. Second highest would go to the person who gained the most spots from grid position to finishing position, 3rd payout to a random, starting entry and $20 to whoever gets the holeshot

And if it is the same person winning every race then there is no chance for the others. We really wanted to get away from the monopolization.
Unfortunately...I don't believe the CMRA staff (with everything else on their plates) has the time to go through all of that.
Plus have somebody sitting there watching who got a hole shot....not feasible.

Plus I don't really ever listen to anything Dennis says anyways....wah wah wahwahh wa wah.

Dirk Anderson
10-16-2014, 10:34 AM
I like the idea of random payouts in some classes. Were the sponsorship "winners" of each round announced somewhere? Generally the front runners mention their supporters as part of race reports and thank you interviews, but this type of support depends on different channels to get recognized.

Racers are required to list 212 Decals as a sponsor on their sponsor form in order to get payout.
They also have to display 212 Decals on both sides of the bike.

Dirk Anderson
10-16-2014, 10:35 AM
Seriously, a good idea. I would balance that with a 50/50 setup. Half the races random, half paid on 1/2/3. Everybody gets a chance

Hmmnnn. This idea is growing on me.

Please keep the ideas coming.

Kasey Lewis
10-16-2014, 10:36 AM
Plus I don't really ever listen to anything Dennis says anyways....wah wah wahwahh wa wah.

Wear a tin foil hat....Dennis makes sense with a tin foil hat on......

Thomas Cocker
10-16-2014, 10:40 AM
I'm torn on this. I like the random idea. Winners will still get contingency from other sponsors because they are normally sponsored by multiple companies. I also don't think winners have to pay as much for entry as the other riders on the grid because of winning previous races. So it would be nice to give money to the riders who don't always get the extra help. But also we seem to be knocking on the door of "everyone is a winner without actually winning" territory. So as long as its contingency and not a trophy I think it is fine.

Rodrigo DaCunha
10-16-2014, 11:00 AM
Dirk, you are the man!

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b638/rdacunha/f5044741-c110-4983-810c-b68013ad9a88_zpse35f01de.png#672

Nancy Selleck
10-16-2014, 11:23 AM
I definitely could have advertised this process more, including announcing the winners each weekend on the Message Board. I appreciate all reasonable suggestions on how to improve communication about the process.

Just as an FYI, the information is listed in the Class Sponsor Payout Information form available online on the Forms Page here: http://www.cmraracing.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=263&d=1397251277 and at the track.

I appreciate Dirk's idea...it's nice for some other folks to have a chance to win some stuff too. And please keep in mind, it's up to the Class Sponsor on how their awards are awarded...within reason, of course. :wink:

Jordan Pence
10-16-2014, 11:45 AM
I run a 600 and do not enter the A classes but if this was put together (and I was an expert), I'd be much more likely to enter that race for additional seat time and the chance to win my entry back. I like it but I still think there needs to be something for the top 3 finishers. It could be maybe split 50/50 meaning half of the class sponsorship is paid out randomly(to one person) and the other half is paid to the top 3 or some variation.

Alan Etheredge
10-16-2014, 03:10 PM
I definitely could have advertised this process more, including announcing the winners each weekend on the Message Board. I appreciate all reasonable suggestions on how to improve communication about the process.....Don't remember if we've been doing it but an 'at the event' PA announcement before registration closes and a post-race PA announcement of the winners could help. I'll try harder to remember this stuff, Nancy ;-)

Personally, I hope 212Decals keeps the same scheme for at least one more season ... it's KISS, it fits the original good intention, it's unique, and deserves a continued 'trial' with better promotion which I think we can deliver with a bit more thought and diligence.

Nancy Selleck
10-16-2014, 05:13 PM
I run a 600 and do not enter the A classes but if this was put together (and I was an expert), I'd be much more likely to enter that race for additional seat time and the chance to win my entry back. I like it but I still think there needs to be something for the top 3 finishers. It could be maybe split 50/50 meaning half of the class sponsorship is paid out randomly(to one person) and the other half is paid to the top 3 or some variation.

It's the Class Sponsor's choice on how it gets paid out. There are plenty of other classes where the same top 3-5 racers get the awards each weekend. You're welcome to sponsor a class and set the payout as you would like it to be. :thumb:

Dirk Anderson
10-17-2014, 10:13 AM
Thanks Alan and Nancy!
Hopefully with all the input and ideas we can get a really cool program together for next season.

Bill Klindworth
10-17-2014, 10:44 AM
Great idea Dirk !!!

Brandon Orr
10-17-2014, 01:06 PM
It's the Class Sponsor's choice on how it gets paid out. There are plenty of other classes where the same top 3-5 racers get the awards each weekend. You're welcome to sponsor a class and set the payout as you would like it to be. :thumb:

I think Dirk is asking for suggestions. Everything I've seen in this thread looks like a good idea.
Wish the 600 class had this set up. I'm at the point to where if I just won a race, the sponsor payouts are the last thing on my mind.

David Branyon
10-17-2014, 01:22 PM
Lots of good ideas here. I like the random payout thing to spread the money around a bit.

Also makes me think of how to give the sponsors more advertising for their buck. Wonder if a post weekend board post and e-mail listing finishers who won some contingency, how much/what they won, and the sponsor would be a good throughout-the-season reminder to us of our sponsors.