PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Build Out

Tony Ugoh
02-22-2015, 04:56 PM
So I'm thinking about building out an enclosed trailer to sleep in for race weekends. Will a 6x10 or 6x12 be big enough for a twin xl or a queen bed and one bike (I would prefer a king since my feet hang off a queen, but I don't think that is possible)? Also, what all needs to be done and what's the approximate cost to make it comfortable to sleep in for hot and cold climates? Thanks in advance.

Josh Henke
02-22-2015, 05:37 PM
All I have to offer is a couple non-trailer-specific comments:
1. How friggin tall are you that you hang off a queen?
2. King is no longer than queen, just a lot wider.
3. I think it's unlikely anything but a twin is gonna fit next to a bed in any trailer in the size you're looking. Anything else would have to be stood up while the bike is inside. JC Camacho sleeps like this because he loves his bike (might have something to do with people messing with it).
4. You should be able to look up specs of floor space pretty easy

Ron Mears
02-22-2015, 05:50 PM
I have a 6x10 and camp in it with a queen air mattress. But there is no room for a bike once the mattress is inflated. You'd probably need something wider that 6' for anything bigger than a queen. Length wise there is a few feet from the end for entering through the side door without stepping directly on the mattress, but not much more.

Ryan Andrews
02-22-2015, 07:04 PM
Do yourself a favor and pick one of these up. We've been using them for close to a year now, and they're freaking amazing. Honestly, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat if I had to for some reason. They're easy to air up, stay inflated and retain almost as much heat as a real mattress.

Absolutely worth the money. Even if you don't get this one, they offer other sizes for less cash.

http://www.rei.com/product/812005/exped-mega-mat-10-sleeping-pad

Tony Ugoh
02-22-2015, 08:02 PM
I'm 6'5". I have to sleep with my head on the head board for my feet to not hang off. I was always under the impression that a king was longer then I queen. I sleep on a Cal King at home, so I can be comfortable.

Tony Ugoh
02-22-2015, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the input. If they are all the same length, I should be able to make due on a twin xl if I decide to go that route.

Quan Luu
02-22-2015, 08:15 PM
I'm assuming you're installing an ac unit?

Matt Vastine
02-22-2015, 08:48 PM
Tony I built my 8.5x16 out. Take a look at tws. Wider trailer is really handy.

Steven Smith
02-22-2015, 09:12 PM
Matt - Okay if I take you up on that tour? I recently for a 7x14 that is bare inside and have been looking at For Sale pics of other peoples trailers for ideas.

chris mckinniss
02-22-2015, 09:30 PM
this is what the matt sizes are
twin = 38x75
twin xl=38x80
full =54x75
queen =60x80
king =76x80
cal king=76x84

Ron Mears
02-22-2015, 10:02 PM
Sleep diagonal on a queen?

Matt Tackel
02-22-2015, 11:42 PM
get a v-nose Tony, Joe's new trailer is a v-nose and it makes a huge difference. Also look into the floor coverings that they have for them. We put down some stuff that was really simple to cut to size, roll out and screw down, took maybe an hour to do it all, you know where we'll be at TWS check it out! The v-nose adds a nice area for a work bench/storage area without adding a ton of extra length to the trailer.

Ryan Andrews
02-23-2015, 10:36 AM
An AC is a must have. Even when it isn't that hot it's nice to have dry air circulating! I also built fold up cots to get our beds above the fender wells for more sleeping area. I can have one cot folded down and still have a full sized motorcycle loaded next to it.

https://instagram.com/p/sQKXzSSS-B/?modal=true

Steven Smith
02-23-2015, 10:57 AM
...I also built fold up cots to get our beds above the fender wells for more sleeping area....

I was just talking with the wife last night about doing something like this. What kind of hinges did you use for the wall mounts?

Ryan Andrews
02-23-2015, 01:21 PM
I was just talking with the wife last night about doing something like this. What kind of hinges did you use for the wall mounts?

Cheap door hinges, two per cot. Didn't see any reason to over think it. When the cots are in the down position they're supported by three legs each, as well as the top of the fender well. I just use loops and bungee cords to hold them up while going down the road, works great so far!

I'm going to modify them eventually so that they fold in the middle also. Right now when the cots are up they block about 2-3" of handlebar space. If they folded down the middle (longways) they would take up 1/2 the space when folded up and I could get the motorcycles even closer to the wall because the handlebars would go over the top of the cots.

I'd be happy to show anyone how it all works when we're at the track. In my van the measurements aren't perfectly square because the van isn't perfectly square front to back (obviously). If you have a welder and some square tubing it's easy. It'd be really easy to do in a trailer with square measurements.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j24/ryan481/vancot_zps9951c054.jpg

Brandon Persell
02-23-2015, 02:26 PM
I bought and built up 2012 Cargo Craft 6x12 tandem axle enclosed trailer for race weekends. I sealed up the underside with expandable foam in all the voids, put Pink Panther foam insulation sheets behind the plywood and on the ceiling, then covered the ceiling insulation with a Thermo liner, I painted the inside walls white. Installed a breaker box inside, ran two 4 foot lights, a 4 plug interior electrical outlet, a 4 plug exterior outlet, Installed a Coleman Mach III air conditioner with a heat strip. Installed a 32" TV inside the nose. I can HDMI movies from my laptop and use it as a monitor for my GoPro. I have a 75' Generator cable with a 30 amp plug that plugs into the exterior front of the trailer and will power everything. I use a 5500 watt generator to power it all. I sleep two people on army cots that fold up out of the way when not in use. If its really cold, I also use a space heater. Pit Bull Trailer Restraint holds the bike while traveling. E-Track everywhere. I used the 2x4 e-track brackets to make a shelf up front. me. I still want to put a nice floor inside, other than painted plywood. I'd be happy to show anyone interested at TWS. I'll be pit out by "Horseshoe" Trailer is black with a larger CMRA sticker on the ramp door. #901
For me, and my truck, this is setup works well for me.

Will Shupak
02-23-2015, 04:28 PM
I'd recommend spray foam for the whole interior. Last i checked, it was @$1/sq ft at 1" thick. Also, Paint the top(exterior) with a commercial radiant barrier. I found some that is ceramic infused and really helps keep trailer from cooking. Nice to have couple of top vents for light when genset isnt going. smoke/CO alarm is a definate +

Jeff Hughes
03-01-2015, 06:51 PM
Tony, depending on what your budget is, I highly, highly, highly recommend going with a 7' or 8.5' width. I've owned and slept in a 10x5, 12x6, and now a 16x8.5(v-nose). Don't even think about the 5x10. My 6x12 was set-up really well with insulated walls/ceiling (a must) and a stand-up A/C unit bolted to a small stand at the front and ducted out. A Honda eu2000 ran it almost all night before running out of gas. In the 6x12, once the queen is aired-up, you still have room in front or behind but not on the sides and only if the bike it outside. Very doable. If you can, you'll appreciate the extra room in a wider trailer once the bike, tools, spares, other junk are in. With a 16x8.5, you can lock the bike in with a Pit Bull or STS trailer mount and still have room for the bed in case the weather is crappy when you arrive. You can also set the XL bed sideways and build a removable bed mount/rack using E-tracks and a few 2x4s and plywood.

I'll be in a black/gray motorhome (or white Ram crewcab) pulling a white/red trailer at TWS. Stop by anytime to check it out and get some ideas. Maybe Ryan Max Johnson will bring my old 12x6 trailer and you can see them both side by side.

Mitch Williams
03-01-2015, 10:18 PM
I agree with Jeff. Get a wide trailer. I've had both and the extra width is a big plus. Jeff has the nicest bumper pull trailer I've ever seen. I'm suffering from trailer envy.

Jeff Hughes
03-02-2015, 09:53 AM
Thanks Mitch. It was our discussion about your trailer (which I also like) to go ahead and get the 8.5 footer and glad you talked me into it. When the opportunity to buy this one came up, I couldn't pass up the deal.

Cody Stewart
03-06-2015, 10:30 AM
I'm in the market for an enclosed trailer now. Looking for a 6x10 V-nose, single axle in white.

Found a 2011 Pace that meets those qualifications as well as looks to be insulated with an in-roof AC, for $2600.

Couple questions...does that sound like a decent deal? Tires are also fairly new.

Second question, do those in-roof AC's require an inverter style generator? All I have is a Harbor Freight one. I know people run the portable AC's on regular generators, but I didn't know if the ones in the ceiling are more picky.
-Cody

Brandon Persell
03-06-2015, 10:49 AM
I run my Coleman Mach III off raw generator power with zero issues.

Brandon Persell
03-06-2015, 11:06 AM
I think that price is what it is worth with a roof a/c. I would not consider it a "Deal" but more of market value. IMHO...

Cody Stewart
03-06-2015, 11:26 AM
Thanks Brandon, I appreciate your knowledge and input. It's been on CL for 2 months, so we'll see. I don't pay market value, so I can wait if need be...haha.

This is the link:
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/4842307544.html

No one go out and buy it from under me though! haha

The size and style is exactly what I'm wanting. I would put e-track in, some is there, but I want more in the floor. Does appear to at least have roof insulation. No real racks to speak of, looks like no trailer jack stabilizers, no external lighting, no forward cabinet - all of which I'd like to have and if someone can foot the bill and I get a deal on it used, that'd be preferred...haha.
-Cody