PDA

View Full Version : New to this forum!

Daniel Kyle
02-24-2015, 03:36 PM
I am interested in getting into ridding again. It has been about 15 years since I was on a bike and I was wondering about classification for races and bikes? I don't really know where to start? Any help is appreciated.

Steven Smith
02-24-2015, 03:51 PM
Welcome back to riding. You can find the classes in the rulebook.. http://www.cmraracing.com/content.php?24-2014-Rule-Book&tabid=123

David Adams11
02-24-2015, 03:54 PM
There are classes for pretty much any bike. The rule book will help you figure out what classes it works for. Before you race though you will need to take the cmra racing license school with lone star track days, ridesmart or fast line. Once you complete that you can apply for your prov nov license and start racing. Another pro tip, I would corner work or show up to a race weekend and hang out and see what it is all about. Getting your first exposure and seeing what it is like with out the added stress of riding is nice.

Daniel Kyle
02-24-2015, 05:07 PM
In Y'all's opinion what size of bike should a 43 year old rookie start out on?

Rodrigo DaCunha
02-24-2015, 05:15 PM
Welcome to the forum. You are the perfect fit for F40... See you at the grid!

Kasey Lewis
02-24-2015, 05:24 PM

1400cc hyabusa....... I kid. I'd say ride whatever you did before, you'll be comfortable and there should be several classes you can run. What did you ride before?

David Adams11
02-24-2015, 05:31 PM

Whatever you are comfortable on. 250/300 bikes are easy to ride. Just kinda depends on what you are comfortable on and what your budget is. I won't even selfishly suggest an Aprilia rsvr(selling one)

Daniel Kyle
02-24-2015, 05:32 PM
Sportster 883 in one direction.....straight! I had a Seca 400 25 years ago.

Kasey Lewis
02-24-2015, 05:34 PM
Well, Pearson runs an xr1200, he's no spring chicken. +1 on the 250/300 route. Little bike would be good to dip your toes back in.

Brad Thomas
02-24-2015, 07:00 PM
WELCOME BACK!

The rule book is a good source and so is the 2015 Class Courtesy Guide (http://www.cmraracing.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=498&d=1421005537) on the Forms page our race director Walter Walker puts together every year.

Ninja 250 fits into 4 classes/3 races on Saturday morning, ESS (E Superstock), ESB (E Superbike), ULWGP (Ultra Lightweight GP) and 500SS (500 Superstock).

500SS and ESB classes run together but are scored separately.

Michael De Simone
02-25-2015, 01:00 AM
Get a 250 and a Grom. Worth it! Welcome back!

mark niemi
02-25-2015, 07:20 AM
15 years since you've been on any bike?
what was your previous level of experience?

Daniel Kyle
02-25-2015, 08:09 AM
Nothing compared to what you guys are doing on YouTube! WOW!

I am thinking a 250 to get my feet wet and learn and then step up to a cbr500 or Yamaha 600 in future.

Does that sound reasonable?

Yorke Oldfather
02-25-2015, 08:28 AM
Yes! Very reasonable, and welcome! The 250 is the cheapest and by far the most fun you can have on 2 wheels at the track.

David Adams11
02-25-2015, 08:30 AM
Sportster 883 in one direction.....straight! I had a Seca 400 25 years ago.

Have you had much track experience? If not you can start with track days, which can usually be a very good learning environment that will help you learn the lines and how to go faster.

mark niemi
02-25-2015, 09:47 AM
I would agree with david.
I'd start with a little ninja 250( but truly, 90 percent of the fun is there no matter what you are on), do a bunch of track days, talk to some racers for feedback, be sure your level of fitness is intact, throw away your ego, then make a plan.
I'd also meet nancy and alan in person, watch how the whole program works and take baby steps towards an achievable goal.
don't worry about your age. its just a number.

David Tiede
02-25-2015, 11:18 AM

Yup. Start the the small ones. Ton of fun and can learn to carry the corner speed which transfers to anything.

Dean Darnell
02-25-2015, 11:45 AM

Yup. Start the the small ones. Ton of fun and can learn to carry the corner speed which transfers to anything.

Definitely!

Eric Falt
02-25-2015, 12:14 PM
Also hang around with some racers...they will be glad to show you some ropes. :burnout:

Brandon Orr
02-25-2015, 02:12 PM
I think Felio nailed it awhile back ago so I will just put this here.

I’m clearly not fit for Mentoring, but I’m willing to generously share some of my lessons-learned-the-hard-way by a freshly-minted Novice. This is free of charge to all ProvNov’s:

DO NOT try to knock out your Prov Nov races with an EX250 on tracks you’ve never been on before in your life. And it doesn’t work to try to learn them on the night before by watching Danny Kelsey’s GoPro feeds on Youtube.<br>

Nancy is not “connected” so don’t talk about it. Just understand if you piss her off, she’ll just smile sweetly and say “I’ll fix it for you”, but then your trash collection might be mysteriously overlooked the next 3 Wednesdays in a row. You also can’t bribe her with a $20 for a better spot in the grids.

Don't try to watch Netflix by connecting directly to the CMRANet during the 6 hour endurance races. It doesn't work, so stop trying.

There is no “Jim Whitten”. Its Tony Stark dressed up in a Jim Whitten suit, so don’t try to do what he does. No idea why he’s trying to infiltrate the CMRA by impersonating a real estate tycoon. Just don’t follow him too closely when he’s driving his Aston-Martin - it can deploy stuff.

If Linz says you’re going 31.4 mph in the pits, then you’re going 31.4 mph in the pits.

Don't assume motards are all slow just because they look stupid. Motard Racers are natural-born liars, and so they like the idea of whooping your a$s on something that looks like they just stole it off a bum under a bridge. And don’t accept candy from any of them. Or play golf with them.

DO NOT leave your bike out in a rain-storm at ECR overnight before a track day, then hop right on it without checking the lower fairing for rain water. You’ll crash in turn 3 on your own wet-spot and pull your stupid groin. (Contributed by Mr. Sean Brown, Comp #184)

Always spring for good rubber. But don’t ever say it that way at the tire Vendor's trailer.

Most important: If you crash during one of your ProvNov races, the sun still comes up in the morning.

Kyle Fox
02-25-2015, 02:31 PM
Hard to beat Felio's advice...

From another old timer (age-wise; 45, but just started racing late last season), welcome. I didn't listen to good advice, and I started on a 600. Tons o fun, but would have been better starting on an SV or a 250. (PS, I've got a Ninja 250 commuter for sale if you PM me.) Now I'm riding both a 600 and a 250 (different one), and the 250 is more fun.

Also, I rode track days (classes) for almost 2 years before I started racing. Well worth it.

Hope to see you out there.

Heinz Roy
02-25-2015, 03:15 PM
I am interested in getting into ridding again. It has been about 15 years since I was on a bike and I was wondering about classification for races and bikes? I don't really know where to start? Any help is appreciated.

I took off 30 years between stints. It took me awhile to be comfortable again. I endurance a race a 250. Well, I am out there. Tons of fun and least expensive racing there is. The racers in this E Superstock class are fun to race and hang with. They tolerate my slow, old, and rather large tail...and sometimes my dumb old man (reference for Kasey here) jokes.

I saw a post to corner work. That in its self is a great suggestion. Come hang at a race local to you. Don't be afraid to ask questions at the track. Endurance racers are usually bored between stints and love to help. If you are ever at a Lightweight Endurance event, look for a pink EZ Up with "58" on it. That's me and my crew.

Dave Felio
02-25-2015, 06:42 PM
Love the new Avatar, Brandon...

You might want to add a special Torch-authored entry to the list as well ?

Shaun Guy
02-25-2015, 06:46 PM
I raced my RMZ450 motard at my first CMRA event last year at Cresson, had a blast and scored a second in class, some faster guys fell off, but came away wishing I had a Ninja 250/300, bigger classes and looked like a lot of fun. I had previous race experience in AHRMA Thruxton series and UK supersport and gp 250 classes in the 1990s, but had about 15 years off due to work, travel, family etc, its great to be back out on the track. I found the CMRA folks to be really friendly and well organized, my advice would be to get a bike that does not scare you and spend money on decent tires and suspension

Jordan Pence
02-25-2015, 07:04 PM
Nothing compared to what you guys are doing on YouTube! WOW!

I am thinking a 250 to get my feet wet and learn and then step up to a cbr500 or Yamaha 600 in future.

Does that sound reasonable?
The sv650 is a pretty good bike to start on. And there are 4 or 5 races you can run it in and be competitive.

Jason Kinsey
02-26-2015, 03:48 PM
Great advice and input on here, welcome back. I'm in same boat- over 40 and wanted to get back into it. I picked up a ninja 250 that I'm getting ready and looking for classic/ modern classic 600 also.

Good luck and hope to see you at track.