PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone race Katy this weekend?

Chris Thomas
11-04-2002, 10:35 PM
I didn't go 'cause it looked to be a trd-floater. Tell me I didn't miss anything, or did it turn out OK with the weather?

c

Chris Thomas
11-04-2002, 10:35 PM
I didn't go 'cause it looked to be a trd-floater. Tell me I didn't miss anything, or did it turn out OK with the weather?

c

ysr612
11-05-2002, 05:18 AM
you missed the best race I saw all year Jack G. and Smoking Joe P.

http://home.swbell.net/gow/jack-joe.jpg

ysr612
11-05-2002, 05:18 AM
you missed the best race I saw all year Jack G. and Smoking Joe P.

http://home.swbell.net/gow/jack-joe.jpg

raysmith
11-05-2002, 12:21 PM
does that say shreveport on the side of his leathers?

Ray

raysmith
11-05-2002, 12:21 PM
does that say shreveport on the side of his leathers?

Ray

ysr612
11-05-2002, 12:54 PM
it looks like it but I am not sure
http://home.swbell.net/gow/joeside.jpg

ysr612
11-05-2002, 12:54 PM
it looks like it but I am not sure
http://home.swbell.net/gow/joeside.jpg

Chris Thomas
11-05-2002, 02:29 PM
Oh great...
Did it rain Sunday??

C

Chris Thomas
11-05-2002, 02:29 PM
Oh great...
Did it rain Sunday??

C

ysr612
11-05-2002, 02:57 PM
I just wanted to make you feel good. Sprints were on SAt I did not go on sunday took me three hours to ride back on sat and it rain from mid afternoon on.

ysr612
11-05-2002, 02:57 PM
I just wanted to make you feel good. Sprints were on SAt I did not go on sunday took me three hours to ride back on sat and it rain from mid afternoon on.

waytooslow
11-05-2002, 04:41 PM
Glen,

I am "dying" to find a group I can race/practice with the XR100 - looks like fun, but the TMPG site doesn't have much info... any help would be appreciated..

Thanks,

Scott

waytooslow
11-05-2002, 04:41 PM
Glen,

I am "dying" to find a group I can race/practice with the XR100 - looks like fun, but the TMPG site doesn't have much info... any help would be appreciated..

Thanks,

Scott

11-05-2002, 05:11 PM
Did it rain Sunday? Hell yes! At least in the A.M. I left west Houston around 9:30 and it was pouring rain by the time I passed the Pederson road exit. Wasn't just one cow pissing on a rock... it was a herd!

RTP

11-05-2002, 05:11 PM
Did it rain Sunday? Hell yes! At least in the A.M. I left west Houston around 9:30 and it was pouring rain by the time I passed the Pederson road exit. Wasn't just one cow pissing on a rock... it was a herd!

RTP

ysr612
11-05-2002, 06:42 PM
that was the last race of the season I will let you know as soon as I find out more Denny is on this board at times. There is large overlap of members between the two clubs. As soon as I find anything I will let you know.

I see you are from up big D area. I heard some people up there in the off season would do a little clandestin stuff in the parking lots.

I know there were a number of them at msr.

ysr612
11-05-2002, 06:42 PM
that was the last race of the season I will let you know as soon as I find out more Denny is on this board at times. There is large overlap of members between the two clubs. As soon as I find anything I will let you know.

I see you are from up big D area. I heard some people up there in the off season would do a little clandestin stuff in the parking lots.

I know there were a number of them at msr.

Chris Thomas
11-05-2002, 10:23 PM
Clandestine stuff in the parking lots?!?!

Hmmmmm That sounds like a good winter activity. I drive a lot at work and all I do is look at parking lots and think of how they would suit those needs!! Problem is finding a good enough lot that is remote enough not to draw attention. Rural high schools would be good if Barney Fife would leave ya be.
Dell Diamond's lot is perfect, but you would be run off in a second.

C

Chris Thomas
11-05-2002, 10:23 PM
Clandestine stuff in the parking lots?!?!

Hmmmmm That sounds like a good winter activity. I drive a lot at work and all I do is look at parking lots and think of how they would suit those needs!! Problem is finding a good enough lot that is remote enough not to draw attention. Rural high schools would be good if Barney Fife would leave ya be.
Dell Diamond's lot is perfect, but you would be run off in a second.

C

Barb Prussiano
11-06-2002, 08:52 AM
For those of you who didn't make it out to the TMGP on Sunday you really missed out. It DID rain but despite the rainy weather it was a great day. At the end of the day Denny had a drawing (as usual) and gave away six of those little bicycles he's had out there all season. Also a set of tires was given away as well as bike stands, grips, oil, tools, and tons of other cool stuff ~ oh and that "horse-chokin' wade of cash" too!! The TMGP had about 20 or so pizzas delivered and the comeraderie was great. Year end awards were handed out with really cool T-shirts (I think Scott McDermott did 'em). Thanks goes out to this club who caters to us mini-bike riders. Looking forward to next season!

Barb Prussiano
#49 Team WRW Racing

Barb Prussiano
11-06-2002, 08:52 AM
For those of you who didn't make it out to the TMGP on Sunday you really missed out. It DID rain but despite the rainy weather it was a great day. At the end of the day Denny had a drawing (as usual) and gave away six of those little bicycles he's had out there all season. Also a set of tires was given away as well as bike stands, grips, oil, tools, and tons of other cool stuff ~ oh and that "horse-chokin' wade of cash" too!! The TMGP had about 20 or so pizzas delivered and the comeraderie was great. Year end awards were handed out with really cool T-shirts (I think Scott McDermott did 'em). Thanks goes out to this club who caters to us mini-bike riders. Looking forward to next season!

Barb Prussiano
#49 Team WRW Racing

ysr612
11-06-2002, 11:10 AM
barb what tires was Joe running. I think skinned shin but what model.

the tmgp is a great bunch of people but lets not forget the amout of track time mini riders get in the cmra. I wish I would have brought my ysr instead of my camera. I think I missed my one and only chance to change be to beat Logan.

ysr612
11-06-2002, 11:10 AM
barb what tires was Joe running. I think skinned shin but what model.

the tmgp is a great bunch of people but lets not forget the amout of track time mini riders get in the cmra. I wish I would have brought my ysr instead of my camera. I think I missed my one and only chance to change be to beat Logan.

Barb Prussiano
11-06-2002, 02:25 PM
Glen, Don't know what tires Joe was using. Any old ones he could get his hands on I imagine! :-) And in the earlier photo, it does say Shreveport on his leathers. Those are really old leathers he's had for years and it says Kawasaki of Shreveport on them. I missed the race on Saturday but heard it WAS a great race. They were still talking about it on Sunday! Denny also gave out some "tips" from Joe on setting up the XR100. I'm not sure how much of it was "real" and how much of it was "made up". haha

And yes I agree racing the YSR's with the CMRA is the best! It has been the bulk of my racing through the years. I'll probably be 80 years old and still be going to the CMRA events racing YSR's. Me and Chuck Ergle. haha

Barb Prussiano
#49 Team WRW Racing

Barb Prussiano
11-06-2002, 02:25 PM
Glen, Don't know what tires Joe was using. Any old ones he could get his hands on I imagine! :-) And in the earlier photo, it does say Shreveport on his leathers. Those are really old leathers he's had for years and it says Kawasaki of Shreveport on them. I missed the race on Saturday but heard it WAS a great race. They were still talking about it on Sunday! Denny also gave out some "tips" from Joe on setting up the XR100. I'm not sure how much of it was "real" and how much of it was "made up". haha

And yes I agree racing the YSR's with the CMRA is the best! It has been the bulk of my racing through the years. I'll probably be 80 years old and still be going to the CMRA events racing YSR's. Me and Chuck Ergle. haha

Barb Prussiano
#49 Team WRW Racing

Chris Thomas
11-06-2002, 05:32 PM
Whoa!!!!

I just realized Jack is riding a 80 at Katy. Is there a class you can run 80 cc mini motos in????
I got a CR ready and waiting.

C

Chris Thomas
11-06-2002, 05:32 PM
Whoa!!!!

I just realized Jack is riding a 80 at Katy. Is there a class you can run 80 cc mini motos in????
I got a CR ready and waiting.

C

ysr612
11-06-2002, 05:37 PM
Jack runs the protest me when you want class I know I am cheating but I am having fun. Joe knew he was out horse powered but torque was pretty equal. Denny was heard to say three more of those show up we will have a class.

ysr612
11-06-2002, 05:37 PM
Jack runs the protest me when you want class I know I am cheating but I am having fun. Joe knew he was out horse powered but torque was pretty equal. Denny was heard to say three more of those show up we will have a class.

waytooslow
11-06-2002, 05:54 PM
how about 100 4 strokes.. is there a class for those??

Scott

waytooslow
11-06-2002, 05:54 PM
how about 100 4 strokes.. is there a class for those??

Scott

Jiveturky
11-06-2002, 06:10 PM
Scott,

Yes there is a class for a 100 cc 4 stroke. The Texas Mini GP is a great place to race your XR-100. It also is somewhat more economical that other series.

Later, Eric

Jiveturky
11-06-2002, 06:10 PM
Scott,

Yes there is a class for a 100 cc 4 stroke. The Texas Mini GP is a great place to race your XR-100. It also is somewhat more economical that other series.

Later, Eric

ysr612
11-06-2002, 08:15 PM
then there is that scoff law Dastardly Dennis and he is trying to entice other to his nefarious schemes
http://pub122.ezboard.com/fhoustonsportb...tart=21&stop=25 (http://pub122.ezboard.com/fhoustonsportbikenetworkfrm1.showMessageRange?topi cID=395.topic&start=21&stop=25)

ysr612
11-06-2002, 08:15 PM
then there is that scoff law Dastardly Dennis and he is trying to entice other to his nefarious schemes
http://pub122.ezboard.com/fhoustonsportb...tart=21&stop=25 (http://pub122.ezboard.com/fhoustonsportbikenetworkfrm1.showMessageRange?topi cID=395.topic&start=21&stop=25)

Jack Giesecke
11-07-2002, 06:25 AM
Actually, Chris, the 80s are legal in Unlimited and the Backwards race. Dennie and Jeff usually let me run in "superbike/super 60" and anyone that wants to protest can, but at Katy I didn't run that class cause I knew there were guys going for season championships and I didn't wanna get in anyone's way when that was on the line for them. I was hanging out around the paddock when Jeff comes up and says, "We're putting together a big wheel motard race (aka "other" class), are you in?" Of course, I was. There were five of us with motards there that weekend, rather unusual. I suppose that's what Dennie was talking about.

At Katy, the place is very tight. It is much easier to ride on an XR and the place has no straights, really, so the XRs are pretty equal to the KX when well ridden. The power helps me with the hole shot, very important, and I can get a little down the "straight", but other than that the XRs can gain in that you don't shift but a couple times a lap. On an 80, I'm downshifting two, sometimes three times for a corner, at least once for any corner there. That takes time, and when you're talking 30 second lap times, it adds up. Plus, you can't be quite as smooth doing all that shifting. SO, that and the fact that you can run three classes on an XR (four if you get top four in superbike, you get to run superbike "race of champions") and most folks go for the XR which can run up to 120cc. BUT, I had the KX sitting in my garage collecting dust after my daughter lost interest in it and started chasing boys, so I figured what the heck and built it.

If some more 80s and XRs and other motards start showing up, I'll bet Dennie and Jeff create a motard class for us. THAT would be way cool for me! Then I could have three LEGIT classes to run in, LOL! So, BUILD THOSE 80s AND XRs up and get them out there with us! The YSRs are cool, but some of us feel more comfortable not humping the football! And, I hear the 80s are a little more the thing to have for unlimited class at Denton, a little more open where you can use the horsepower. Shame we lost Hitchcock, or I guess we did. It was really cool on an 80, the perfect size. But, I even had Dennie, Bradley Champion, Phillip Fisher, and other pressure me there on XRs and I DID have the power advantage down that little straight.

So, with all the riding I've been doing with TMGP, my next project is a motard XR. I'm going to pick the bike up in SA Saturday. Frank Springett and I are going to build it to run TMGP endurance with. It's so danged affordable, so fun, and there are only 6 or 7 dates on the calender so I can use vacation where needed and actually do the series. I'm still going to run the KX in sprints with TMGP and with CMRA where I can on weekends I can make that I don't have to work.

Jack Giesecke
11-07-2002, 06:25 AM
Actually, Chris, the 80s are legal in Unlimited and the Backwards race. Dennie and Jeff usually let me run in "superbike/super 60" and anyone that wants to protest can, but at Katy I didn't run that class cause I knew there were guys going for season championships and I didn't wanna get in anyone's way when that was on the line for them. I was hanging out around the paddock when Jeff comes up and says, "We're putting together a big wheel motard race (aka "other" class), are you in?" Of course, I was. There were five of us with motards there that weekend, rather unusual. I suppose that's what Dennie was talking about.

At Katy, the place is very tight. It is much easier to ride on an XR and the place has no straights, really, so the XRs are pretty equal to the KX when well ridden. The power helps me with the hole shot, very important, and I can get a little down the "straight", but other than that the XRs can gain in that you don't shift but a couple times a lap. On an 80, I'm downshifting two, sometimes three times for a corner, at least once for any corner there. That takes time, and when you're talking 30 second lap times, it adds up. Plus, you can't be quite as smooth doing all that shifting. SO, that and the fact that you can run three classes on an XR (four if you get top four in superbike, you get to run superbike "race of champions") and most folks go for the XR which can run up to 120cc. BUT, I had the KX sitting in my garage collecting dust after my daughter lost interest in it and started chasing boys, so I figured what the heck and built it.

If some more 80s and XRs and other motards start showing up, I'll bet Dennie and Jeff create a motard class for us. THAT would be way cool for me! Then I could have three LEGIT classes to run in, LOL! So, BUILD THOSE 80s AND XRs up and get them out there with us! The YSRs are cool, but some of us feel more comfortable not humping the football! And, I hear the 80s are a little more the thing to have for unlimited class at Denton, a little more open where you can use the horsepower. Shame we lost Hitchcock, or I guess we did. It was really cool on an 80, the perfect size. But, I even had Dennie, Bradley Champion, Phillip Fisher, and other pressure me there on XRs and I DID have the power advantage down that little straight.

So, with all the riding I've been doing with TMGP, my next project is a motard XR. I'm going to pick the bike up in SA Saturday. Frank Springett and I are going to build it to run TMGP endurance with. It's so danged affordable, so fun, and there are only 6 or 7 dates on the calender so I can use vacation where needed and actually do the series. I'm still going to run the KX in sprints with TMGP and with CMRA where I can on weekends I can make that I don't have to work.

Chris Thomas
11-07-2002, 09:14 AM
I think motard is gonna be the way in the minis. I mean they havent made a ysr in what 20 - 30 years???
There are so many cheap XR's and 80's out there, the class has to grow. I have an XR and a CR, both are ready.

C

Chris Thomas
11-07-2002, 09:14 AM
I think motard is gonna be the way in the minis. I mean they havent made a ysr in what 20 - 30 years???
There are so many cheap XR's and 80's out there, the class has to grow. I have an XR and a CR, both are ready.

C

ysr612
11-07-2002, 11:13 AM
I post the link to the Scott thing and they move the post on me

ysr612
11-07-2002, 11:13 AM
I post the link to the Scott thing and they move the post on me

Scott Dennis
11-07-2002, 11:52 AM
Glen, Thanks for the info. This link should give you the full message thread.

http://pub122.ezboard.com/fhoustonsportbikenetworkfrm1.showMessage?topicID=3 95.topic

Basically, I was thinking about reviving our old Sunday night YSR parking lot races here in Houston. This was really active five or six years ago, and was tons of fun. <Legal Disclaimer = ON> Totally unsanctioned, ride at your own risk, bring your own bail money. <Legal Disclaimer = OFF> If there's enough interest, maybe we could give it another try.

Scott Dennis
11-07-2002, 11:52 AM
Glen, Thanks for the info. This link should give you the full message thread.

http://pub122.ezboard.com/fhoustonsportbikenetworkfrm1.showMessage?topicID=3 95.topic

Basically, I was thinking about reviving our old Sunday night YSR parking lot races here in Houston. This was really active five or six years ago, and was tons of fun. <Legal Disclaimer = ON> Totally unsanctioned, ride at your own risk, bring your own bail money. <Legal Disclaimer = OFF> If there's enough interest, maybe we could give it another try.

Jack Giesecke
11-07-2002, 04:08 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Chris Thomas:

C</div></div>COOL! I really hope others will join us and motard will become a big class. Yeah, the YSRs are about 15 years in the past now. You can still find them about, but they are getting a little expensive for what they are. I know the arguments about keeping the power even and learning to ride rather than "hiding behind horsepower", but would not a dozen 80s on the line at Katy be pretty equal? I just don't care for the "humping the football" thing. I'd rather be on a motard. To each his own, but I'm really hoping that the motard idea continues to grow. They are fast at even the little Katy track and are a real blast to ride.

You shoulda seen Joe P. backing that XR into the horseshoe there. Guy was sideways more than he was straight! He had a knee puck taped to his boot and he was flat tracking everywhere in dirt off the track, what ever it took to get in front, LOL. I couldn't believe the start he got in unlimited in the rain, off the course in the dirt at one point but never off the throttle! That guy is one HELL of a good rider. I got chicken in the rain and put the bike up, had slicks and didn't really wanna ride it in the wet. I had more fun, I think, watching Joe P. work his magic on that old XR. He was sort of messing with Casley's head all day and I got to feeling sorry for John with all that abuse, LOL! But, it was all in great fun, like one big happy family, and that's probably the biggest attraction TMGP has for me. There's not a tighter group of racers in all of racing.

Jack Giesecke
11-07-2002, 04:08 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Chris Thomas:

C</div></div>COOL! I really hope others will join us and motard will become a big class. Yeah, the YSRs are about 15 years in the past now. You can still find them about, but they are getting a little expensive for what they are. I know the arguments about keeping the power even and learning to ride rather than "hiding behind horsepower", but would not a dozen 80s on the line at Katy be pretty equal? I just don't care for the "humping the football" thing. I'd rather be on a motard. To each his own, but I'm really hoping that the motard idea continues to grow. They are fast at even the little Katy track and are a real blast to ride.

You shoulda seen Joe P. backing that XR into the horseshoe there. Guy was sideways more than he was straight! He had a knee puck taped to his boot and he was flat tracking everywhere in dirt off the track, what ever it took to get in front, LOL. I couldn't believe the start he got in unlimited in the rain, off the course in the dirt at one point but never off the throttle! That guy is one HELL of a good rider. I got chicken in the rain and put the bike up, had slicks and didn't really wanna ride it in the wet. I had more fun, I think, watching Joe P. work his magic on that old XR. He was sort of messing with Casley's head all day and I got to feeling sorry for John with all that abuse, LOL! But, it was all in great fun, like one big happy family, and that's probably the biggest attraction TMGP has for me. There's not a tighter group of racers in all of racing.

Jiveturky
11-07-2002, 04:30 PM
What is the address for the TMGP website. I keep running a search and the old one is all that comes up.

Thanks, Eric

Jiveturky
11-07-2002, 04:30 PM
What is the address for the TMGP website. I keep running a search and the old one is all that comes up.

Thanks, Eric

Jack Giesecke
11-07-2002, 04:43 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Eric Yost:

Thanks, Eric</div></div> http://www.tmgps.8k.com They don't often update things, but they will post next season's schedule there probably about late February. The BBS there is kinda dead, well, very dead, LOL. Everyone is over here I guess.

BTW, I hope I'm not overpromoting another organization on this BBS. I'm not connected with either one, though I'm a member of both. Many of the TMGP guys, like myself, run both clubs and will continue to do so. I'm determined to get that XR ready before the June six hour, sort of the superbowl of mini endurance racing, LOL. I've had guys from back east beg me for a spot in the six hour, LOL, seems it has a reputation. But, I've yet to run it myself.

Jack Giesecke
11-07-2002, 04:43 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Eric Yost:

Thanks, Eric</div></div> http://www.tmgps.8k.com They don't often update things, but they will post next season's schedule there probably about late February. The BBS there is kinda dead, well, very dead, LOL. Everyone is over here I guess.

BTW, I hope I'm not overpromoting another organization on this BBS. I'm not connected with either one, though I'm a member of both. Many of the TMGP guys, like myself, run both clubs and will continue to do so. I'm determined to get that XR ready before the June six hour, sort of the superbowl of mini endurance racing, LOL. I've had guys from back east beg me for a spot in the six hour, LOL, seems it has a reputation. But, I've yet to run it myself.

ysr612
11-07-2002, 05:53 PM
hey Denny pushes the cmra at the tmgp so why not the other way. The two clubs sort of mesh together.

ysr612
11-07-2002, 05:53 PM
hey Denny pushes the cmra at the tmgp so why not the other way. The two clubs sort of mesh together.

Chris Thomas
11-08-2002, 11:10 AM
I am ready for next season in both CMRA and TMGP. I will have the hundred for me and the kid to endurance and I can sprint it too. He would ride the 80 in the sprints. I am thinking of setting up the crf 450 as a super moto for big bike sprints at CMRA's shorter courses.

Chris Thomas
11-08-2002, 11:10 AM
I am ready for next season in both CMRA and TMGP. I will have the hundred for me and the kid to endurance and I can sprint it too. He would ride the 80 in the sprints. I am thinking of setting up the crf 450 as a super moto for big bike sprints at CMRA's shorter courses.

Linz Leard
11-13-2002, 05:46 AM
I'm building an XR-100 Mo-turd, too. Jack and I are gonna duke it out at Katy in '03!

Linz Leard
11-13-2002, 05:46 AM
I'm building an XR-100 Mo-turd, too. Jack and I are gonna duke it out at Katy in '03!

Jack Giesecke
11-13-2002, 08:39 AM
WOO HOO, bring it on! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif A lot cheaper than 125GP, Linz, and a barrel of fun! Just don't you go mounting any weapons on that thing, keep it clean, LOL. Now, you ain't gonna cheat and get Chuck to ride that too, are ya? /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

Jack Giesecke
11-13-2002, 08:39 AM
WOO HOO, bring it on! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif A lot cheaper than 125GP, Linz, and a barrel of fun! Just don't you go mounting any weapons on that thing, keep it clean, LOL. Now, you ain't gonna cheat and get Chuck to ride that too, are ya? /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

Linz Leard
11-13-2002, 07:37 PM
What's 125GP? /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Aw, come on now, Jack! You know me better than that! I've never *needed* Chuckie for me to finish second (first loser) before - I've always managed to do that on my own! Hell, I'm famous for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!

That said, Chuckie and I will be paired up again this weekend...and we'll be riding an "XR" on steroids through the woods. Some people can "feel the love," but I can feel the pain!

Linz Leard
11-13-2002, 07:37 PM
What's 125GP? /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Aw, come on now, Jack! You know me better than that! I've never *needed* Chuckie for me to finish second (first loser) before - I've always managed to do that on my own! Hell, I'm famous for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!

That said, Chuckie and I will be paired up again this weekend...and we'll be riding an "XR" on steroids through the woods. Some people can "feel the love," but I can feel the pain!

Jack Giesecke
11-13-2002, 07:47 PM
Have fun in the woods and e-m me how it was. I may wanna do that some time, sounds like fun. All I have to do it on, though, is a stock XR100 and an old clapped out XL600R. The KX's suspension would beat me to death in the woods, LOL.

Jack Giesecke
11-13-2002, 07:47 PM
Have fun in the woods and e-m me how it was. I may wanna do that some time, sounds like fun. All I have to do it on, though, is a stock XR100 and an old clapped out XL600R. The KX's suspension would beat me to death in the woods, LOL.