PDA

View Full Version : Introducing 12 year old son to Road Racing

Alan Greenwell
12-17-2017, 08:37 PM
Good Evening,
My 12 year old son is interested in road racing, and honestly I have no clue where to even start.
He has raced MX/ cross country for the past 7 years, so we are familiar with motor sports.

We have a KLX110/ KX85/ KTM65 to use as a base for a bike build.

Is there any where around North Texas that we can watch some races in the near future?
What changes are required to the machine?
Tire/ Wheel Supplier?
Gear Supplier?
Is there anywhere we can get him on track?

Any information is Greatly Appreciated.

Thanks

Brad Boyle
12-17-2017, 09:45 PM
Love seeing the young guy is interested in road racing. Welcome to the forum. I’m not an expert on the jr racers but there’s allot of them on here. The closest track to you is MSR (motorsports ranch) in cresson, tx. Should be less than on hour from you. First race there is in April. But I know they have track days for motorcycles. When ?you would have to look it up. It wouldn’t be racing but you could get an idea. They also have a orginization called RideSmart (some racers aren’ big fans) but that’s a good way to get started you supply the bike and helmet and gloves and they have leathers and boots they’ll lend you (if they have his size) so that’s a cost savings to give it a try. I know they let minors but how young I don’t know. Very controlled setting with instruction and classes. Most instructors are racers or former racers. Also the bike doesn’t have to be race ready just a set of good street tires on any of the bikes you named. A tire manufacturer is at most events for them. But find out if they have that size b4 you show up. The CMRA has a class you must take before you race but it’s nothing dramatic and you can race the same weekend. We also have a Friday practice before the race weekend. So come out and have some fun. I’m sure some others will join in with some great advice.

Carter Rossner
12-17-2017, 11:01 PM
Brad mentioned RideSmart, and they're a good org, but they don't allow bikes under 250cc. None of the bikes you mentioned would be able to get on track with them.

Scott McDaniel
12-18-2017, 07:14 AM
Alan, Ridesmart wont allow any of those bikes on the track and pretty sure they wont allow anyone at his age either. I ran into the same problem when my 14 year old got involved last year.
Best thing to do for track time is TMGP "Texas Mini Grand Prix" but they have a season just as we do. We raced prepped a CRF100 and started my son with CMRA because I race as well.
Danny Dominguez runs our riders school. You can get in touch with him, but he will probably chime in here shortly. We do have dedicated track time for junior motard riders.
Go to texasminigp.com for their info. We do have multiple classes that you can run the KLX in. Race prep is pretty easy for that bike, all you will need is tires and safety wire. Kevin Nolde with gatorrimz.com can get you set up with wheels and tires. You can also look him up on Facebook. I love seeing kids racing at CMRA and will help you out any way that I can. Kids are the future of this great sport and we need more of them involved! If you want to talk or need help with anything at all, message me your number and I'll call you.
Scott

Robert Bremer
12-18-2017, 08:49 AM
TMGP is where its at for kids of all ages to race little bikes. TMGP race season will probably start up sometime in March and they race at Gulf coast kartway in Katy Tx (near Houston) and North Texas Karters in Denton. Other than TMGP and CMRA I don't know of any way to get minibike roadracing track time. NTK club does not allow minibikes to practice other than TMGP weekends.

Michael De Simone
12-18-2017, 09:58 AM
Website for TMGP http://texasminigp.com/

I would also call Sport Rider Coaching http://sportridercoaching.com/ The guys that run it are very solid guys and may be able to work with you. They may even have rental bikes your son could use. The only thing I can think of that would prevent him from being able to ride with them is their insurance. Worst case is you go out to ECR and watch and eat some good food.

They have their school at http://eaglescanyon.com/

Brad Boyle
12-18-2017, 10:13 AM
My apologizes for not mentioning bike size. Thought I remembered them taking minis out at lunch time with an instructor. But that could have been elsewhere. Anyway would love to see you in cmra it keeps the sport healthy. New you’d get allot of help here. Side note where have u been Robert.

David_Gonzalez
12-18-2017, 04:03 PM
Get in touch with specialized racing gear for leather suit needs.

specializedrg@gmail.com

Matt Tackel
12-19-2017, 04:04 PM
Sent you a pm Alan

Derek Thomas
12-19-2017, 08:39 PM
Alan,
CMRA and TMGP are the only two organizations I know of. My son Brady and I will try a full TMGP season in 2018(currently waiting their schedule). Lots of current and former CMRA racers. Lots of really fast people...never underestimate how fast someone can go on a little 65! Check out the rules. I know your son could ride the 110, but believe he'd have to be evaluated for the 65. Race director looks at riding level, etc....and age, to determine safety on-track. Don't think 2-smoke 85 is legal. They allow bigger 4 stokes, but I think 65ish is the limit for the smokers.
Last Katy race, I spent $85 for 1.5 hrs of practice and I believe it was 6 races....kid was grinning ear-to-ear all the way home!

In a previous post, Scott M mentioned Kevin Nolde and Gatorrimz(sp?)....Kevin is active in the club and has a lot of knowledge and a parts and supply shop...gear and all.

PM number and or find us in CMRA/TMGP paddock!

Good luck!

Brady(son) #47 and Derek Thomas #471

John Deutschlander
12-20-2017, 07:11 AM
Our boys started in TMGP and CMRA on 110's and Groms 3 years ago at the ages of 10 and 13 and have progressed pretty well. They are both great organizations with TMGP being the best bang for your buck. The track in Katy offers memberships to motorcycle peeps and is a great valve @ around 300.00 per year. The karters are pretty fair about sharing track time.
We started them out with gatorskinz leathers from the Noldes @ K&J Racing solutions. They have a shop on ebay and we received the suits a couple days after ordering.

I have a set of rims- currently mounted with Rains for the KLX- 100.00

You can go with either PMT's or Mitas for tires, they're both really good. The PMT's on the 110's lasted us a complete season. Scott Giarratano (you can find on FB) with 3K racing is the local PMT supplier and Alan Phillips sells the Mitas. You can order them from the TMGP website.

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions, shoot me a PM or you can find me on FB. Glad to see another kid entering the sport!!

John Deutschlander
Aces High Racing

Alan Greenwell
12-26-2017, 07:40 PM
Gentlemen,

Hope that everyone has had a great XMAS, and I appreciate all of the information

Thank You