PDA

View Full Version : Experts mentoring novices

Barron Houston
11-05-2002, 07:53 PM
I recently heard in Roadracing World that in this sport it's kind of an accepted undertone that when you begin as a novice, hopefully some expert will take you under his wing and show you the ropes, in's and out's, such as how to prep your bike, how to save money, what's necessary & what's not. I personally haven't had a single individual expert stand out and do that, but across the board I have seen that the experts are enthusiastic about helping the beginners and are more than willing to answer as many questions as you may have. This is my first year to race competitively and to be honest..it's been an incredibly expensive learning curve, where I could've saved a bunch along the way. I'd like to endorse the concept that RRW put out and ask that it become a more developed undertone. I came to this sport from motocross and there the attitude is "if you ain't as fast as me, I don't talk to you". Changing over has been a breath of fresh air and I'd like to extend a thank you to the people that have been helpful.

Barron Houston
11-05-2002, 07:53 PM
I recently heard in Roadracing World that in this sport it's kind of an accepted undertone that when you begin as a novice, hopefully some expert will take you under his wing and show you the ropes, in's and out's, such as how to prep your bike, how to save money, what's necessary & what's not. I personally haven't had a single individual expert stand out and do that, but across the board I have seen that the experts are enthusiastic about helping the beginners and are more than willing to answer as many questions as you may have. This is my first year to race competitively and to be honest..it's been an incredibly expensive learning curve, where I could've saved a bunch along the way. I'd like to endorse the concept that RRW put out and ask that it become a more developed undertone. I came to this sport from motocross and there the attitude is "if you ain't as fast as me, I don't talk to you". Changing over has been a breath of fresh air and I'd like to extend a thank you to the people that have been helpful.

ysr612
11-05-2002, 08:31 PM
the experts in road racing moreover in this club are very helpful. however you may have noticed that there is a large number of people and teams and it is hard to tell who is helping and who is being helped.

during the year our endurance team was helped by many other teams and individuals I can not name them all but some that stand out as I type are

Piston envy
Whatever teams Gabe Mcclendon was on
Sam MacD
D. Rats
Eric K.
others that my slip my mind.

If we asked for help we were sure to get it.

ysr612
11-05-2002, 08:31 PM
the experts in road racing moreover in this club are very helpful. however you may have noticed that there is a large number of people and teams and it is hard to tell who is helping and who is being helped.

during the year our endurance team was helped by many other teams and individuals I can not name them all but some that stand out as I type are

Piston envy
Whatever teams Gabe Mcclendon was on
Sam MacD
D. Rats
Eric K.
others that my slip my mind.

If we asked for help we were sure to get it.

E. Templet
11-05-2002, 08:42 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Barron Houston:
<snip>hopefully some expert will take you under his wing and show you the ropes, in's and out's <snip> I'd like to extend a thank you to the people that have been helpful.</div></div>I've never had anyone offically take me under their wing, I just made friends, though not necessarily all experts. You learn allot from just talking at the track. No doubt you have discovered my main reason for riding with the CMRA....the people.

If you have any questions, it's probably a good idea to post them here. At the track, most of us are either racing, resting, or getting ready to race, or fixing our bikes, or eating, bathroom, cooling off, etc... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

A belated welcome to you from Soggy Bottom Racin. I can say with conviction, that I know a couple of what not to do's. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

E. Templet
11-05-2002, 08:42 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Barron Houston:
<snip>hopefully some expert will take you under his wing and show you the ropes, in's and out's <snip> I'd like to extend a thank you to the people that have been helpful.</div></div>I've never had anyone offically take me under their wing, I just made friends, though not necessarily all experts. You learn allot from just talking at the track. No doubt you have discovered my main reason for riding with the CMRA....the people.

If you have any questions, it's probably a good idea to post them here. At the track, most of us are either racing, resting, or getting ready to race, or fixing our bikes, or eating, bathroom, cooling off, etc... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

A belated welcome to you from Soggy Bottom Racin. I can say with conviction, that I know a couple of what not to do's. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

twg
11-06-2002, 08:03 PM
Barron, There are quite a few people who will help you. Jeff Lee has stepped up to help me out, unfortunately it rained a lot at the TWS track day we attended. There were others at the track who also were willing to share advice. I found it intimidating to just walk up to an expert and ask for help, but I've also found that when I need just a simple question answered they volunteer a lot more information. So far everyone has been really cool.

twg

twg
11-06-2002, 08:03 PM
Barron, There are quite a few people who will help you. Jeff Lee has stepped up to help me out, unfortunately it rained a lot at the TWS track day we attended. There were others at the track who also were willing to share advice. I found it intimidating to just walk up to an expert and ask for help, but I've also found that when I need just a simple question answered they volunteer a lot more information. So far everyone has been really cool.

twg

Barron Houston
11-06-2002, 11:02 PM
Yah, don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining in anyway. After reading through my own post, It may may have come across that way. I am saying that this sport has been much better than my experience in the motocross arena and there are plenty of eager people willing to pass on valuable info. I'm a bit impulsive and kinda jumped into things abit hastily with buying stuff I thought I needed or spent money that would've been better spent elsewhere on the bike. I guess I look back on that and wish I would've talked to a few more people or had that big brother expert to steer me another direction. That's why I'm just saying we (as I will, when I get those white plates) should really endorse the whole mentoring concept. Let's face it...in this sport, there's thousands to be spent...and saved.

Barron Houston
11-06-2002, 11:02 PM
Yah, don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining in anyway. After reading through my own post, It may may have come across that way. I am saying that this sport has been much better than my experience in the motocross arena and there are plenty of eager people willing to pass on valuable info. I'm a bit impulsive and kinda jumped into things abit hastily with buying stuff I thought I needed or spent money that would've been better spent elsewhere on the bike. I guess I look back on that and wish I would've talked to a few more people or had that big brother expert to steer me another direction. That's why I'm just saying we (as I will, when I get those white plates) should really endorse the whole mentoring concept. Let's face it...in this sport, there's thousands to be spent...and saved.

Bryan West
11-07-2002, 12:49 AM
on that note,.... i'd like to take a second to thank mike and gabe sanchez for helping me learn the ropes and get into racing and how to win and for everything they've done for me so far! i must be one of the lucky few who had a little help learning, im trying not to take it for granted, so MANY THANKS TO THE SANCHEZ BRO'S!!!!!!!
Bryan West #955

Bryan West
11-07-2002, 12:49 AM
on that note,.... i'd like to take a second to thank mike and gabe sanchez for helping me learn the ropes and get into racing and how to win and for everything they've done for me so far! i must be one of the lucky few who had a little help learning, im trying not to take it for granted, so MANY THANKS TO THE SANCHEZ BRO'S!!!!!!!
Bryan West #955

Allan Stevens
11-07-2002, 06:43 AM
To be an expert, ask an expert. Shyness will only ensure back row grid positions.

Allan Stevens
11-07-2002, 06:43 AM
To be an expert, ask an expert. Shyness will only ensure back row grid positions.

Brooks Gremmels
11-07-2002, 07:46 AM
Barron, your points about the value of receiving help as you enter this sport are well taken. Kelly Moody, Harry Tomlinson, Eric Falt and sam McDonald were some of the many folks who taught me the ropes. There is a wealth of literature on the subject as well. Having a formal mentoring program is conceiveable but would be one more layer of formal structure to try to administrate. But you are right about experienced people in this sport being willing to help newcomers. I don't recall having been asked by you for help but I promise I would consider it a responsibility to do so if requested. You really need to approach others at the track or on the mboard to solicit their help. Keep at it until you find someone who's personality and level of experience fits you. This is the critical part that a mentoring program can't guarentee. Perhaps you might throw out the idea of needing help on the mbaord and see if you don't find a volunteer to help at a track day or at the races. Sometimes I instruct for Jasomn Pridmore's Star School and I can tell you that the students who receive the most one-on-one help are the ones that grab an instructor and say, I need your help with such and such (the more specific the better). We're here to help, let us know how.
Brooks

Brooks Gremmels
11-07-2002, 07:46 AM
Barron, your points about the value of receiving help as you enter this sport are well taken. Kelly Moody, Harry Tomlinson, Eric Falt and sam McDonald were some of the many folks who taught me the ropes. There is a wealth of literature on the subject as well. Having a formal mentoring program is conceiveable but would be one more layer of formal structure to try to administrate. But you are right about experienced people in this sport being willing to help newcomers. I don't recall having been asked by you for help but I promise I would consider it a responsibility to do so if requested. You really need to approach others at the track or on the mboard to solicit their help. Keep at it until you find someone who's personality and level of experience fits you. This is the critical part that a mentoring program can't guarentee. Perhaps you might throw out the idea of needing help on the mbaord and see if you don't find a volunteer to help at a track day or at the races. Sometimes I instruct for Jasomn Pridmore's Star School and I can tell you that the students who receive the most one-on-one help are the ones that grab an instructor and say, I need your help with such and such (the more specific the better). We're here to help, let us know how.
Brooks

SMILEYMAN
11-07-2002, 08:10 AM
It is better to give than recieve! I think one thing guys overlook is instead of hanging around asking questions when an expert is trying to enjoy a race weekend volunteer to help one.
You can get to know people and find someone you think you can learn from, then volunteer to help that person in the pits. You can find out more about how they prep their bike, how they structure their weekend, how they focus and prepare for the race. You pay them back for their expertice by carrying tires, filling tanks, checking grid positions, swapping on warmers, ect.
I did this along with corner working, spectating, and researching for a former CMRA champ for two years before I started competing on a regular basis. Yes it was mainly because I couldn't afford any deeper level of involvement with the sport, but it kept me involved and informed.
Maybe we need to forward this suggestion on in our literature, web site and, rider school in order for newby riders to understand they can get an inside look into a successful program faster by volunteering than going it all on their own or pestering the fire out of racers on race weekend. Not that I have ever heard an unkind word to any one who I have seen looking for answers. The CMRA is full of good advice.
Chris Smiley 506

SMILEYMAN
11-07-2002, 08:10 AM
It is better to give than recieve! I think one thing guys overlook is instead of hanging around asking questions when an expert is trying to enjoy a race weekend volunteer to help one.
You can get to know people and find someone you think you can learn from, then volunteer to help that person in the pits. You can find out more about how they prep their bike, how they structure their weekend, how they focus and prepare for the race. You pay them back for their expertice by carrying tires, filling tanks, checking grid positions, swapping on warmers, ect.
I did this along with corner working, spectating, and researching for a former CMRA champ for two years before I started competing on a regular basis. Yes it was mainly because I couldn't afford any deeper level of involvement with the sport, but it kept me involved and informed.
Maybe we need to forward this suggestion on in our literature, web site and, rider school in order for newby riders to understand they can get an inside look into a successful program faster by volunteering than going it all on their own or pestering the fire out of racers on race weekend. Not that I have ever heard an unkind word to any one who I have seen looking for answers. The CMRA is full of good advice.
Chris Smiley 506

shane carter
11-07-2002, 08:43 AM
I can fix it. The riders wanted section. Change it to "riders/help wanted" section. Newbies can post prior to a race that they would like some help. Whichever racer wants to volunteer, can. A word of advise though, just because he has white plates doesn't mean he's the ace coom boom, budda of racing. You can get just as good of help from second year amatuers. I for one, believe very strongly in this subject. Your help, could save someones bike. :-) Plus, it sucks being there by yourself. Half the fun of racing, is the comeradaty <sp in the pits with the group of guys.

shane carter
11-07-2002, 08:43 AM
I can fix it. The riders wanted section. Change it to "riders/help wanted" section. Newbies can post prior to a race that they would like some help. Whichever racer wants to volunteer, can. A word of advise though, just because he has white plates doesn't mean he's the ace coom boom, budda of racing. You can get just as good of help from second year amatuers. I for one, believe very strongly in this subject. Your help, could save someones bike. :-) Plus, it sucks being there by yourself. Half the fun of racing, is the comeradaty <sp in the pits with the group of guys.

Jeff the jet Lee
11-07-2002, 02:08 PM
I am not one of the fast guys and probably never will be, but I try as hard as I can to go as fast as I can and I still have a sh**load to learn,even the really fast guys have a lot that they can still learn. I'm sure that if you asked Colin Edwards if he is still learning he would say yes even though I watch him on t.v. and he appears to have all the answers on the track,we all have more to learn to get faster.I am happy to help anyone out that asks for help,I still need help all of the time and I am not afraid to ask for it,from other racers, or the guys at Racer Supply or the guy who beat me by a bike length at the last race...especially that guy!I always go into a race weekend with an agenda,I need to learn how to enter this turn or that turn different or better or...you get the idea,also I try and follow fast guys in practice(for as long as I can anyway)I learn alot trying to follow Haner or Stoyko or some of the other really fast guys out there in practice and in races. The thing that makes our club so great is the people,I am willing to help out anyone,it's good karma,everybody that I've asked for help at the track has always been kind and generous with their advice and answers to my questions.Don't be afraid to ask for help,there is a of of experience in the paddock,use it,ask for it,to remain the fastest club in the WORLD we all need to help our fellow racers and club members out, and you just might form some really strong freindships,I have.Remember we are all one big happy family of roadracers,lets keep it that way! IMHO. And heck, I'm only an expert because they would'nt let me be a novice for a third year...but one of these days I will win a race as an expert!!! 3rd year expert and still ain't won a race(but I will) Jeff Lee 752 /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Jeff the jet Lee
11-07-2002, 02:08 PM
I am not one of the fast guys and probably never will be, but I try as hard as I can to go as fast as I can and I still have a sh**load to learn,even the really fast guys have a lot that they can still learn. I'm sure that if you asked Colin Edwards if he is still learning he would say yes even though I watch him on t.v. and he appears to have all the answers on the track,we all have more to learn to get faster.I am happy to help anyone out that asks for help,I still need help all of the time and I am not afraid to ask for it,from other racers, or the guys at Racer Supply or the guy who beat me by a bike length at the last race...especially that guy!I always go into a race weekend with an agenda,I need to learn how to enter this turn or that turn different or better or...you get the idea,also I try and follow fast guys in practice(for as long as I can anyway)I learn alot trying to follow Haner or Stoyko or some of the other really fast guys out there in practice and in races. The thing that makes our club so great is the people,I am willing to help out anyone,it's good karma,everybody that I've asked for help at the track has always been kind and generous with their advice and answers to my questions.Don't be afraid to ask for help,there is a of of experience in the paddock,use it,ask for it,to remain the fastest club in the WORLD we all need to help our fellow racers and club members out, and you just might form some really strong freindships,I have.Remember we are all one big happy family of roadracers,lets keep it that way! IMHO. And heck, I'm only an expert because they would'nt let me be a novice for a third year...but one of these days I will win a race as an expert!!! 3rd year expert and still ain't won a race(but I will) Jeff Lee 752 /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif