PDA

View Full Version : Provisional Novice requirements, caution and race revenue

Josh Henke
06-21-2018, 12:48 PM
This post from Prov Nov, Jason Chahin in another thread got me thinking of a minor change that could see a decent return.

I have a suggestion to increase participation for the prov-novs (like me). I'm new so pardon my ignorance as I'm sure there are many good reasons for the current rules, but if the rule not to crash throughout the entire event was lifted, and instead limit the no crashing rule to 2 sprints/day, I'm sure you'd have more provnos registering for >2 races in a weekend. For example, last Saturday was my first time racing, I did ULWGP and SS500 in the morning, didn't crash and packed it up by 10am, requirements met. But I wanted to keep going! I would have gladly registered for the afternoon provnov LW, F40 LW, LW twins, etc. The common wisdom for provnovs is to not risk more than 2 races/event until you meet all requirements or you have to start over if you crash. And for a provnov starting mid-season, every event counts (including corner working).Interesting thought. Could work. Not everyone has that mindset, which I say because I didn't. I started in Round 1 of 2011 as PN, entering 5 races. I was out to win from the first green flag; I didn't. I also didn't crash. Did the same at Round 2, TWS. I did crash but kept going full bore. After the 3rd round, ECR, I completed my requirements.

The only real reason to be so cautious as a PN is to get rid of the struggle of putting on and removing the yellow shirt (and maybe the reduced air flow)! Perhaps we could make the shirts more like tank tops or "rider coach" reflective jerseys. I think it safer to have new racers wearing something as a warning to other riders. If the intent is to play it safe and merely, technically satisfy requirements, seems more dangerous for everyone once that shirt is off. If the PN jerseys were easier to deal with, perhaps more new riders would continue to wear them even after they've attained their Novice license.

Brandon Orr
06-21-2018, 02:10 PM
I think the anxiety of having to retake the PROV NOV test is what makes people overly cautious.
Honestly I could only afford 3 rounds my first year so I had to make that work or start from square one the next year.
It's not that big of a deal but as a PROV NOV I'm sure everyone worries about the "what if".

Cody Stewart
06-21-2018, 02:47 PM
I don't really understand Jason's mindset. Crashing didn't deter me from entering more races. If I wrecked, I just had to wear the shirt another weekend. IIRC, you don't have to retake anything, you just have to do another weekend.

Also, if you get your racing requirements (not to be confused with CW rqmts) done in one weekend, wouldn't some people just skip another round that they might otherwise go to because their requirements were met? So the net effect might still be zero. I wish I could have worn my prov nov shirt in my expert classes, but the rule book specifically disallows that, haha. It didn't bother me a bit wearing a yellow shirt, but I can see some people trying to get rid of it as soon as possible. I like the way the rule is now. But I don't race, so my opinion doesn't matter.
-Cody

Steve Wilson
06-21-2018, 04:10 PM
If I had known then how much room a yellow shirt affords you I would have be putting it in the grass every round since I was handed one. Respect the Shirt!!!

Jason Chahin
06-21-2018, 06:21 PM
I think the anxiety of having to retake the PROV NOV test is what makes people overly cautious.
Honestly I could only afford 3 rounds my first year so I had to make that work or start from square one the next year.
It's not that big of a deal but as a PROV NOV I'm sure everyone worries about the "what if".

This.

Michael Snyder
06-21-2018, 08:42 PM
It's not that big of a deal but as a PROV NOV I'm sure everyone worries about the "what if".You don't have to start over if you crash. You simply don't credit for that weekend and you have 12 months to finish your prov nov requirements. That 12 months can span seasons does not need to be a single season.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Brandon Orr
06-22-2018, 08:34 AM
You don't have to start over if you crash. You simply don't credit for that weekend and you have 12 months to finish your prov nov requirements. That 12 months can span seasons does not need to be a single season.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Yeah you have a rolling 12 months to complete the requirements. You could potentially have to retake the test if you crash enough or run out of funds before meeting the requirements in that time span. It wasn't as big of a deal as I thought it was when I was a PROV NOV.

dean webster
06-22-2018, 01:54 PM
I think we all have short memories. I wanted to lose my yellow shirt ASAP. I didn't want to be the slow guy with a yellow beacon advertising it. I think the mindset changes after you lose it.

Regardless, the yellow shirt serves its intended purpose. I still have 2 somehow:)

Christopher Corder
06-22-2018, 11:53 PM
I wore my shirt for several races after meeting the requirement. Not sure that is still allowed. Eric Falt told me the shirt afforded me the extra room and easing into the sport that a new racer needs. Never felt any shame. I was far too high on the endorphins of becoming a real life motorcycle racer. :-)

Tom Anderson
06-23-2018, 08:29 PM
I think we all have short memories. I wanted to lose my yellow shirt ASAP. I didn't want to be the slow guy with a yellow beacon advertising it. I think the mindset changes after you lose it.

Regardless, the yellow shirt serves its intended purpose. I still have 2 somehow:)

Man I wore mine for 4 endurance rounds after my requirements. There were about 30 other dudes on the grid that were way faster than me and with that shirt I got a ton of room on the track.

Brian Yuan
07-23-2018, 02:18 PM
I loved my Yellow Shirt, was the only time i was able to be out front in a race and people gave me uber amounts of room like i was a mad man about to crash! lol

Marissa Moreno
07-29-2018, 09:20 PM
I loved my Yellow Shirt, was the only time i was able to be out front in a race and people gave me uber amounts of room like i was a mad man about to crash! lol

Some of us have better experiences than others. Not complaining but I donít see there being a difference in space with or without my shirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken Mathews
07-30-2018, 10:06 AM
My PN buddy this weekend only entered two sprint races as well so he could complete the requirements and not have to start over. This is an interesting thought as far as revenue (I'm not sure how much real $$ it would be worth in the scheme of things), but I'm glad folks are thinking like this to help the club. If the CMRA does not make money, we all lose...

Jason Chahin
07-31-2018, 09:18 AM
My PN buddy this weekend only entered two sprint races as well so he could complete the requirements and not have to start over. This is an interesting thought as far as revenue (I'm not sure how much real $$ it would be worth in the scheme of things), but I'm glad folks are thinking like this to help the club. If the CMRA does not make money, we all lose...

Good to see I'm not the only one :)

Esteemed BoD, if you are reading this, please consider relaxing the no-crash rule to 2 consecutive sprints only in 2 separate events (or equivalent endurance time). For example, if I race 2 sprints on a Saturday morning as a provnov and don't crash, I can then race in other qualified classes that Sat afternoon or Sunday without concerns of having to start my event over to meet requirements.

With the addition of the Track Experience and other efforts to build the novice pipeline, I believe this change is a good compromise between safety/revenue and will increase overall event participation.

Nancy Selleck
07-31-2018, 09:50 AM
Just want to make sure everyone understands that a Provisional Novice racer has 12 months from the date of their school to complete their four requirements: 2 days of corner working and 2 race weekends without crashing (minimum of two races per weekend). Weekends do not have to be consecutive. If a Prov Nov crashes on a weekend, they don't start over. They just don't receive a sign-off on their license for that weekend. They try again the next weekend.

Once they have a signature on their Prov Nov license, they never have to repeat that requirement.