PDA

View Full Version : An inch an hour, two feet a day...

Linz Leard
09-03-2002, 12:27 PM
...which has nothing to do with my request. But anyway, I see that the last event of the CMRA season at Cresson has a two-hour mini endurance and a four-hour big bike endurance according to one schedule, but does not have a time limit listed for the mini endurance on another schedule posted on the CMRA web site. There appears to be time, so raise your hand if you would like a three-hour mini endurance. Yes, my hand is raised. Hey BOD - is this possible? Yes? Okay, then! It's settled!

Linz Leard
09-03-2002, 12:27 PM
...which has nothing to do with my request. But anyway, I see that the last event of the CMRA season at Cresson has a two-hour mini endurance and a four-hour big bike endurance according to one schedule, but does not have a time limit listed for the mini endurance on another schedule posted on the CMRA web site. There appears to be time, so raise your hand if you would like a three-hour mini endurance. Yes, my hand is raised. Hey BOD - is this possible? Yes? Okay, then! It's settled!

Eric Kelcher
09-03-2002, 01:17 PM
hate to be the bearer of bad news but Hallet with a 2/5 split was difficult to get done, I don't see putting that many hours of on track time on the schedule again.
Second where were all the Mini teams at the last two endurance races? :rolleyes:

Eric Kelcher
09-03-2002, 01:17 PM
hate to be the bearer of bad news but Hallet with a 2/5 split was difficult to get done, I don't see putting that many hours of on track time on the schedule again.
Second where were all the Mini teams at the last two endurance races? :rolleyes:

Linz Leard
09-03-2002, 03:35 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Eric Kelcher:
Second where were all the Mini teams at the last two endurance races?</div></div>Good question - with what I believe to be an easy answer. If you look at the points, there are but a few that have a chance at a podium - at least in the HW class (I don't know about the MW and LW classes). Except for the thrill of racing (which should be enough), who wants to show up when they have no real chance of moving up in the points? This is really a double edged sword because some of the teams that missed the last two rounds could have moved up significantly in the standings had they shown up. But they didn't and that led (in part) to low entries and ultimately these teams hurt themselves in the overall points. On the other hand, what difference does it make to finish 5th in class or 8th in class? Kenny Roberts, Sr. once said, "If you're going to race, then race." I like that idea.

But, Eric, you bring up an interesting point regading the low turnout of the minis this season. The bikes are drying up (YSRs especially) and the class is being numerically reduced slowly but surely. This is a bad thing, I think. I would hope that more people move to the HW class where bikes are still plentiful and the know how to cram an 80 engine into a GP chassis is more than widely available. Yes, I miss riding the big bikes dearly, but when tires cost $400+ a set and the costs of going big bike endurance racing is exponentially higher than with the minis, I can't see how people can sustain the costs. I am still paying for the big bike racing I did from '87 through '96. Or at least it feels like it.

Linz Leard
09-03-2002, 03:35 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Eric Kelcher:
Second where were all the Mini teams at the last two endurance races?</div></div>Good question - with what I believe to be an easy answer. If you look at the points, there are but a few that have a chance at a podium - at least in the HW class (I don't know about the MW and LW classes). Except for the thrill of racing (which should be enough), who wants to show up when they have no real chance of moving up in the points? This is really a double edged sword because some of the teams that missed the last two rounds could have moved up significantly in the standings had they shown up. But they didn't and that led (in part) to low entries and ultimately these teams hurt themselves in the overall points. On the other hand, what difference does it make to finish 5th in class or 8th in class? Kenny Roberts, Sr. once said, "If you're going to race, then race." I like that idea.

But, Eric, you bring up an interesting point regading the low turnout of the minis this season. The bikes are drying up (YSRs especially) and the class is being numerically reduced slowly but surely. This is a bad thing, I think. I would hope that more people move to the HW class where bikes are still plentiful and the know how to cram an 80 engine into a GP chassis is more than widely available. Yes, I miss riding the big bikes dearly, but when tires cost $400+ a set and the costs of going big bike endurance racing is exponentially higher than with the minis, I can't see how people can sustain the costs. I am still paying for the big bike racing I did from '87 through '96. Or at least it feels like it.

Eric Kelcher
09-03-2002, 04:16 PM
Yes the realization that the YSR made from 88-92 (I think I have the years right???) are drying up, I know I have one that I will not sell sitting in my garage that I really want to race again but don't have the time.
So this year we introduced the Light Super class for the minis to try and get the new YSR replacements a place to race (NSR50, RS50, GPR50 etc). I hope this class contiues to grow as it is the new starter class for the younger riders. Hopefully thegrids start filling with these bikes or any of the other "creations" for the middle and heavy classes.

Eric Kelcher
09-03-2002, 04:16 PM
Yes the realization that the YSR made from 88-92 (I think I have the years right???) are drying up, I know I have one that I will not sell sitting in my garage that I really want to race again but don't have the time.
So this year we introduced the Light Super class for the minis to try and get the new YSR replacements a place to race (NSR50, RS50, GPR50 etc). I hope this class contiues to grow as it is the new starter class for the younger riders. Hopefully thegrids start filling with these bikes or any of the other "creations" for the middle and heavy classes.

jscottyk
09-03-2002, 04:56 PM
Hey don't forget the K&R Minimotard XR120. We are also cooking us some ideas to campaign in Heavyweight Mini next year. Stay tuned.

jscottyk
09-03-2002, 04:56 PM
Hey don't forget the K&R Minimotard XR120. We are also cooking us some ideas to campaign in Heavyweight Mini next year. Stay tuned.

ysr612
09-03-2002, 05:39 PM
I have two ysr's but I think production 50 should include any 50 that was sold as street legal by the company in the usa. This would start getting a few more bikes out maybe.

the ones I know of that would work

Ape rs50
derbi rs50
beta rs50
honda nsr 50 I think they sold it in the early 90

ysr612
09-03-2002, 05:39 PM
I have two ysr's but I think production 50 should include any 50 that was sold as street legal by the company in the usa. This would start getting a few more bikes out maybe.

the ones I know of that would work

Ape rs50
derbi rs50
beta rs50
honda nsr 50 I think they sold it in the early 90

Bryan Norton
09-03-2002, 06:07 PM
I haven't been out there the last couple of races mostly due to money and a dismal start earlier this year, but I am hoping to race at Hallett (hint hint Keith)

For what it's worth, I have a TZ125 frame modified for an XR100(or whatever is compatible motor-mount wise) for sale, only $125.
(This is a frame only, no swingarm etc. and the welding is very well done).

This would make a killer Mediumweight platform!!!

Bryan Norton
09-03-2002, 06:07 PM
I haven't been out there the last couple of races mostly due to money and a dismal start earlier this year, but I am hoping to race at Hallett (hint hint Keith)

For what it's worth, I have a TZ125 frame modified for an XR100(or whatever is compatible motor-mount wise) for sale, only $125.
(This is a frame only, no swingarm etc. and the welding is very well done).

This would make a killer Mediumweight platform!!!

Linz Leard
09-04-2002, 07:06 AM
"An inch an hour, two feet a day... "

Interesting, isn't it? Or not. But anyway, I have been getting a little bit of off-message board interest in this subject title, so I tell you what I will do. I want to sponsor a racer - sort of. I will put a crisp ten dollar bill (Yes! That's ten whole bucks! Imagine what you could do with that!) in the first person's hand that can tell me where I got this subject title from. Here are the rules:

1) You have to post your answer here on the message board.
2) Your answer has to match my inspiration exactly.
3) No one from Mystery Dance (yes, Raymond, that's you and yours!) or Centrifugal Force (yes, Linz, that's you and yours) is eligible.
4) The "contest" ends at midnight, September 6, 2002.

Here is a hint: The answer can be found on something that has a diameter of 4.718" and is .0465" thick.

Linz Leard
09-04-2002, 07:06 AM
"An inch an hour, two feet a day... "

Interesting, isn't it? Or not. But anyway, I have been getting a little bit of off-message board interest in this subject title, so I tell you what I will do. I want to sponsor a racer - sort of. I will put a crisp ten dollar bill (Yes! That's ten whole bucks! Imagine what you could do with that!) in the first person's hand that can tell me where I got this subject title from. Here are the rules:

1) You have to post your answer here on the message board.
2) Your answer has to match my inspiration exactly.
3) No one from Mystery Dance (yes, Raymond, that's you and yours!) or Centrifugal Force (yes, Linz, that's you and yours) is eligible.
4) The "contest" ends at midnight, September 6, 2002.

Here is a hint: The answer can be found on something that has a diameter of 4.718" and is .0465" thick.

ysr612
09-04-2002, 07:53 AM
so you got it from the cd. and that is tragic

ps just tryng to shed some light into your night

ysr612
09-04-2002, 07:53 AM
so you got it from the cd. and that is tragic

ps just tryng to shed some light into your night

Stuart Fulton
09-04-2002, 09:02 AM
What about the thought of expanding the mini motard into the lightweight class with the XR 80? It could be production based the same as the YSR 50 and it might open the doors to some kids who have the bike but not yet able to buy a YSR or their parents are not willing risk buying a race specific bike if they are not sure if their kid will really be interested.

Stuart Fulton
09-04-2002, 09:02 AM
What about the thought of expanding the mini motard into the lightweight class with the XR 80? It could be production based the same as the YSR 50 and it might open the doors to some kids who have the bike but not yet able to buy a YSR or their parents are not willing risk buying a race specific bike if they are not sure if their kid will really be interested.

Chris Thomas
09-04-2002, 09:40 AM
We are joining in on the Mini Motard end of it. There are two more teams on XR's that will be there at Cresson in Oct.

Chris Thomas
09-04-2002, 09:40 AM
We are joining in on the Mini Motard end of it. There are two more teams on XR's that will be there at Cresson in Oct.

Linz Leard
09-04-2002, 10:37 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Glen Weir:
cd tragic light night</div></div>You're much too Hip, Glen. And you have Grace, Too! May I kindly offer you $10 in sponsorship money at Cresson in October? That's 1/3 of your race entry!

Linz Leard
09-04-2002, 10:37 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Glen Weir:
cd tragic light night</div></div>You're much too Hip, Glen. And you have Grace, Too! May I kindly offer you $10 in sponsorship money at Cresson in October? That's 1/3 of your race entry!

ysr612
09-04-2002, 02:37 PM
yeepeee Mad Dog is back racing.

ysr612
09-04-2002, 02:37 PM
yeepeee Mad Dog is back racing.