PDA

View Full Version : Gold Rush report

Brooks Gremmels
11-18-2002, 09:05 AM
First of all, I have never raced a dirt bike so I can't compare this weekend's Gold Rush crosscountry endros to any ather events of its kind. What I can report is that I had more fun than I can remember in a mighty long time.
Norm McDonald, his son, Pat and a partner have been putting on these events for the past 7 years. K&N Yamaha has organized 22 dealers to contribute to the event and there are tons of volunteers to help. Pat lays out a 7.5 mile course through the woods surrounding Hallett Raceway. The woods are thick with a narrow, tight trail cut that's marked with arrows and tape. Lots of elevation with creek crossings and rock-strewn hills that were covered with slick mud after the first few riders passed through.
Gary Sinclair and I partenered on the 3 hour race on Sat. Our intention was to just ride the course and get a hang of it without thinking aboout going the whole race. Next thing we knew 2 hours had passed and we completed the race. The first lap was a killer and I couldn't wait to hand the TT125R to Gary. Later, 2 laps was no problem and by Sunday, riding in the 3 hour race, 3 laps was no problem.
There were maybe 20 CMRA members out of pover 250 entries, many of which were 4-wheel racers. The weather was perfect. Mostly what I liked was the laid back atmosphere of the entire weekend. I'd like to thank the McDonalds for introducing me to another form of 2-wheel fun! Count me in for next year.
Brooks

Brooks Gremmels
11-18-2002, 09:05 AM
First of all, I have never raced a dirt bike so I can't compare this weekend's Gold Rush crosscountry endros to any ather events of its kind. What I can report is that I had more fun than I can remember in a mighty long time.
Norm McDonald, his son, Pat and a partner have been putting on these events for the past 7 years. K&N Yamaha has organized 22 dealers to contribute to the event and there are tons of volunteers to help. Pat lays out a 7.5 mile course through the woods surrounding Hallett Raceway. The woods are thick with a narrow, tight trail cut that's marked with arrows and tape. Lots of elevation with creek crossings and rock-strewn hills that were covered with slick mud after the first few riders passed through.
Gary Sinclair and I partenered on the 3 hour race on Sat. Our intention was to just ride the course and get a hang of it without thinking aboout going the whole race. Next thing we knew 2 hours had passed and we completed the race. The first lap was a killer and I couldn't wait to hand the TT125R to Gary. Later, 2 laps was no problem and by Sunday, riding in the 3 hour race, 3 laps was no problem.
There were maybe 20 CMRA members out of pover 250 entries, many of which were 4-wheel racers. The weather was perfect. Mostly what I liked was the laid back atmosphere of the entire weekend. I'd like to thank the McDonalds for introducing me to another form of 2-wheel fun! Count me in for next year.
Brooks

Jack Giesecke
11-18-2002, 02:00 PM
Brooks, was there a XR100 class? Give me the spill on class structure. I'd like to do this next year if I have a suitable bike for it.

Jack Giesecke
11-18-2002, 02:00 PM
Brooks, was there a XR100 class? Give me the spill on class structure. I'd like to do this next year if I have a suitable bike for it.

Brooks Gremmels
11-19-2002, 02:15 PM
I raced in a beginners class for up to 200cc's. There were Amateur and Expert classes but I will have to look-up the exact classes.
Brooks

Brooks Gremmels
11-19-2002, 02:15 PM
I raced in a beginners class for up to 200cc's. There were Amateur and Expert classes but I will have to look-up the exact classes.
Brooks

Norm McDonald
11-19-2002, 04:52 PM
Jack we have a class for about everything. Marc Gifford rode a XR 100 he drew a lot of attention. I'm sorry I missed his name on the list above. Norm

Norm McDonald
11-19-2002, 04:52 PM
Jack we have a class for about everything. Marc Gifford rode a XR 100 he drew a lot of attention. I'm sorry I missed his name on the list above. Norm

Jack Giesecke
11-19-2002, 05:09 PM
I'll plan on it next year for sure.

Jack Giesecke
11-19-2002, 05:09 PM
I'll plan on it next year for sure.

waytooslow
11-19-2002, 05:42 PM
Norm... what about a CRF230... class for that as well?? or do I have to run with the big boys??

Scott

waytooslow
11-19-2002, 05:42 PM
Norm... what about a CRF230... class for that as well?? or do I have to run with the big boys??

Scott