PDA

View Full Version : sleepy eyed corner workers...

Merry Burleson
03-21-2005, 10:00 AM
Just curious to know what was done about or to the 2 corner workers who fell asleep in the rattlesnake corners while a bike crashed in front of them...and what about the 2 guys who ran out there to wake them up? (in such a polite manor by throwing them out of thier chairs) anything done in this instance?

Merry Burleson
03-21-2005, 10:00 AM
Just curious to know what was done about or to the 2 corner workers who fell asleep in the rattlesnake corners while a bike crashed in front of them...and what about the 2 guys who ran out there to wake them up? (in such a polite manor by throwing them out of thier chairs) anything done in this instance?

03-21-2005, 11:25 AM
Hopefully if the cornerworkers were prov-nov's trying to get their license, they will get some type of suspension from the club...

I'd like to think if they were volunteering or getting paid for cornerworking that they would not be allowed back!

Lucky #13
AM #131

03-21-2005, 11:25 AM
Hopefully if the cornerworkers were prov-nov's trying to get their license, they will get some type of suspension from the club...

I'd like to think if they were volunteering or getting paid for cornerworking that they would not be allowed back!

Lucky #13
AM #131

Ronnie Hay
03-21-2005, 11:28 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(in such a polite manor by throwing them out of thier chairs) anything done in this instance? </div></div>I have no idea what punishment, if any, was leveled upon the two Rip Van Winkles.

But if Race Control was as firm with them as they were with the gent who ruined their nap then we should not see either of those two for the next 12 months.
--
Ronnie

Ronnie Hay
03-21-2005, 11:28 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(in such a polite manor by throwing them out of thier chairs) anything done in this instance? </div></div>I have no idea what punishment, if any, was leveled upon the two Rip Van Winkles.

But if Race Control was as firm with them as they were with the gent who ruined their nap then we should not see either of those two for the next 12 months.
--
Ronnie

DMS Racing
03-21-2005, 11:46 AM
Hey Ronnie! Nice going this weekend! I now know what it takes to qualify as a mofo....about 10 secs off my lap times /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

DMS Racing
03-21-2005, 11:46 AM
Hey Ronnie! Nice going this weekend! I now know what it takes to qualify as a mofo....about 10 secs off my lap times /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

TX_03_RC51
03-21-2005, 01:42 PM
They were also asleep when Austin Hlavaty (sp?) took a spill during the Mini Endurance race and were casually waving the yellow when they should have been waving it feverishly as he was laying in the grass in a very bad spot going into rattlesnake. It also took them quite some time to get out of their chairs. They also had a delayed response when a rider went down in Rattlesnake towards the end of the race and the bike was laying in the middle of the track. I hope they were dealt with accordingly as their actions (or lack thereof) could have gotten other riders seriously injured.

Robert

TX_03_RC51
03-21-2005, 01:42 PM
They were also asleep when Austin Hlavaty (sp?) took a spill during the Mini Endurance race and were casually waving the yellow when they should have been waving it feverishly as he was laying in the grass in a very bad spot going into rattlesnake. It also took them quite some time to get out of their chairs. They also had a delayed response when a rider went down in Rattlesnake towards the end of the race and the bike was laying in the middle of the track. I hope they were dealt with accordingly as their actions (or lack thereof) could have gotten other riders seriously injured.

Robert

Jonathan Wright
03-21-2005, 01:58 PM
Our rider (Carlo) went down during the big bike endurance in the ricochet and the spectators had to tell the cornerworkers there was trouble.

I just about ran over there and did some "manual seat adjustments" myself.

Having the guy thrown out of the track that pushed them I can KINDA understand (assault and all)...but the cornerworkers need their noses tweaked for sure.

I'm glad Carlo wasn't hurt or else I would have raised a really, really big stink and perhaps even a polite conversation with the corner workers myself.

I mean - think about it. It's a very important job on the track!

Jonathan Wright
03-21-2005, 01:58 PM
Our rider (Carlo) went down during the big bike endurance in the ricochet and the spectators had to tell the cornerworkers there was trouble.

I just about ran over there and did some "manual seat adjustments" myself.

Having the guy thrown out of the track that pushed them I can KINDA understand (assault and all)...but the cornerworkers need their noses tweaked for sure.

I'm glad Carlo wasn't hurt or else I would have raised a really, really big stink and perhaps even a polite conversation with the corner workers myself.

I mean - think about it. It's a very important job on the track!

Tony Wang
03-21-2005, 02:15 PM
Dang, I miss one race and all hell breaks loose...

I obviously don't know all the details, and I realized that I'm new and all... But I'm of the oppinion that if a cornerworker falls asleep while at their post, that's the equivalent of sabotoging someone's bike and should be delt with in a manner that reflects the severity of this wrongdoing.

Then again I could just be over reacting. However, I seriously doubt it...

Tony Wang
03-21-2005, 02:15 PM
Dang, I miss one race and all hell breaks loose...

I obviously don't know all the details, and I realized that I'm new and all... But I'm of the oppinion that if a cornerworker falls asleep while at their post, that's the equivalent of sabotoging someone's bike and should be delt with in a manner that reflects the severity of this wrongdoing.

Then again I could just be over reacting. However, I seriously doubt it...

Jonathan Wright
03-21-2005, 02:19 PM
But hey - I'm NOT being critical of the CMRA staff or Barry for that matter.

They shouldn't have to baby sit folks that we trust with our safety.

Jonathan Wright
03-21-2005, 02:19 PM

They shouldn't have to baby sit folks that we trust with our safety.

TX_03_RC51
03-21-2005, 02:27 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Jonathan Wright:

They shouldn't have to baby sit folks that we trust with our safety. </div></div>Ditto, Barry does an excellent job, along with the rest of the CMRA staff

TX_03_RC51
03-21-2005, 02:27 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Jonathan Wright:

They shouldn't have to baby sit folks that we trust with our safety. </div></div>Ditto, Barry does an excellent job, along with the rest of the CMRA staff

Barry Nichols
03-21-2005, 02:59 PM
That was a bad incident all the way around. First of all I take full responsibility for their actions. They were young and I should not have put them on a corner by their selves. They were volunteers as many of our corner workers are. They had worked before without problems and I asked them to work a corner where we do not typically put workers. My instructions were to throw flags only and not cross the track. Crashes in turn nine were the responsibility of the corner station on the hill. These two were just supposed to give extra notice to racers in the straight after turn eight that a problem was coming up. They should not have fallen asleep. That was wrong of them. After the incident I verbally reprimanded them and took away their chairs so they could not sleep again without being noticed. They apologized and that was that. The incident that followed should NEVER have happened. Spectators have no business on the track. First of all no one knows how I instruct corners to perform but myself, the Race Director, and Control. We deal with serious crashes all weekend long every year. Once a crash has occurred, there are other safety factors to consider in addition to the racer who is injured. We move to the problem as quickly as possible while doing our best to avoid causing another and making the situation worse. A spectator, acting even under what they consider the best of intentions, only adds to the danger and confusion. Each year this problem comes up in one form or another. We have penalties for entering a “hot” track. Please let the staff handle the situation. We also have penalties for physical or verbal abuse at our events. The actions that ensued were unwarranted and uncalled for. In order for the CMRA to thrive, every one needs to feel safe. The quickest way to the front gate is putting your hands on another person. Enough said.

Barry Nichols
03-21-2005, 02:59 PM
That was a bad incident all the way around. First of all I take full responsibility for their actions. They were young and I should not have put them on a corner by their selves. They were volunteers as many of our corner workers are. They had worked before without problems and I asked them to work a corner where we do not typically put workers. My instructions were to throw flags only and not cross the track. Crashes in turn nine were the responsibility of the corner station on the hill. These two were just supposed to give extra notice to racers in the straight after turn eight that a problem was coming up. They should not have fallen asleep. That was wrong of them. After the incident I verbally reprimanded them and took away their chairs so they could not sleep again without being noticed. They apologized and that was that. The incident that followed should NEVER have happened. Spectators have no business on the track. First of all no one knows how I instruct corners to perform but myself, the Race Director, and Control. We deal with serious crashes all weekend long every year. Once a crash has occurred, there are other safety factors to consider in addition to the racer who is injured. We move to the problem as quickly as possible while doing our best to avoid causing another and making the situation worse. A spectator, acting even under what they consider the best of intentions, only adds to the danger and confusion. Each year this problem comes up in one form or another. We have penalties for entering a “hot” track. Please let the staff handle the situation. We also have penalties for physical or verbal abuse at our events. The actions that ensued were unwarranted and uncalled for. In order for the CMRA to thrive, every one needs to feel safe. The quickest way to the front gate is putting your hands on another person. Enough said.

Merry Burleson
03-21-2005, 03:13 PM
I saw the whole thing, wasnt esp happy with the whole instance. Having just completed my corner-working, I know it can be a long drawn out day, but still, its not a job that should be taken lightly. All Prov-Novs should realize its not just a job fulfillment to get a license, but a way to help the CMRA and develope a respect for all the "behind the scenes" work done at a race. besides...free lunch! I kinda hope theyre not going to have to "re-do" thier corner working, due to their lack of service in the first place, rather a denial of a license would better suit the occasion if you ask my opinion. (not that my lil ole opinion matters much)

Merry Burleson
03-21-2005, 03:13 PM
I saw the whole thing, wasnt esp happy with the whole instance. Having just completed my corner-working, I know it can be a long drawn out day, but still, its not a job that should be taken lightly. All Prov-Novs should realize its not just a job fulfillment to get a license, but a way to help the CMRA and develope a respect for all the "behind the scenes" work done at a race. besides...free lunch! I kinda hope theyre not going to have to "re-do" thier corner working, due to their lack of service in the first place, rather a denial of a license would better suit the occasion if you ask my opinion. (not that my lil ole opinion matters much)

Merry Burleson
03-21-2005, 03:17 PM
Thanks Berry, we know you do youre best.

Merry Burleson
03-21-2005, 03:17 PM
Thanks Berry, we know you do youre best.

TX_03_RC51
03-21-2005, 03:50 PM
Thank you for your input Barry

TX_03_RC51
03-21-2005, 03:50 PM
Thank you for your input Barry

Jonathan Wright
03-21-2005, 03:58 PM
Yeah, we need to trust the staff to do their jobs.

Barry can't predict the future.

While I certainly trust all the volunteers and paid staff at the races I hope that those corner workers understand how serious this is.

Thanks, Barry.

Jonathan Wright
03-21-2005, 03:58 PM
Yeah, we need to trust the staff to do their jobs.

Barry can't predict the future.

While I certainly trust all the volunteers and paid staff at the races I hope that those corner workers understand how serious this is.

Thanks, Barry.

Jiveturky
03-21-2005, 04:15 PM
I just want to say thanks to the corner workers who helped me. THANKS!!!!! I crashed going into the wagon wheel and corner workers were very helpful. Thanks again!!!!!

Later, Eric

Jiveturky
03-21-2005, 04:15 PM
I just want to say thanks to the corner workers who helped me. THANKS!!!!! I crashed going into the wagon wheel and corner workers were very helpful. Thanks again!!!!!

Later, Eric

Troy Green
03-22-2005, 03:38 AM
Cresson endurance races seem to be a good time to catch a nap for some corner workers.... this was the third time in the last 4 years that I have been on track and saw corner workers sleeping away the afternoon! What can I say I get bored out there and end up looking around during endurance stints /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

As I understand it the corner workers (except for prov. novs.) are paid for their services, hopefully these two had at least 30 minutes deducted from their wages, that is how long I personally saw them sleeping.

I applaud all of the corner workers that take the job seriously and make it possible for the rest of us to race.

Troy Green
CMRA #5
Desert Rats #4

Troy Green
03-22-2005, 03:38 AM
Cresson endurance races seem to be a good time to catch a nap for some corner workers.... this was the third time in the last 4 years that I have been on track and saw corner workers sleeping away the afternoon! What can I say I get bored out there and end up looking around during endurance stints /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

As I understand it the corner workers (except for prov. novs.) are paid for their services, hopefully these two had at least 30 minutes deducted from their wages, that is how long I personally saw them sleeping.

I applaud all of the corner workers that take the job seriously and make it possible for the rest of us to race.

Troy Green
CMRA #5
Desert Rats #4

Jonathan Wright
03-22-2005, 08:34 AM
Werd, Troy!

Jonathan Wright
03-22-2005, 08:34 AM
Werd, Troy!

Christopher Corder
03-22-2005, 08:41 AM
The most disturbing thing about this is the lack of respect for their own lives. The ground is filled with PROFESSIONAL cornerworkers who made a mistake and paid for it with their lives. I just dont see how anyone could fall asleep on a hot track. I would be too fearful of my own death, much less one of the riders.

Christopher Corder
03-22-2005, 08:41 AM
The most disturbing thing about this is the lack of respect for their own lives. The ground is filled with PROFESSIONAL cornerworkers who made a mistake and paid for it with their lives. I just dont see how anyone could fall asleep on a hot track. I would be too fearful of my own death, much less one of the riders.