PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone Internet Help NEEDED!!!!

Jiveturky
04-04-2005, 06:20 PM
Ok,
I have to get a new cell phone service and am looking at the new Hand helds. Does anyone know anything about them. For ex. I am looking at the current T Mobile options that allow you to connect to the internet. How is the service? Is it slow? Basically I just want to know if it is worth the extra money.

Thanks, Eric

Jiveturky
04-04-2005, 06:20 PM
Ok,
I have to get a new cell phone service and am looking at the new Hand helds. Does anyone know anything about them. For ex. I am looking at the current T Mobile options that allow you to connect to the internet. How is the service? Is it slow? Basically I just want to know if it is worth the extra money.

Thanks, Eric

waytooslow
04-04-2005, 06:35 PM
slow yes.... I have T mobile using a treo 600, but if you have to have access to email and web it does the job.

forgot to add tried the sidekick, cool web tool and Im etc, but as a phone... uhmm sketchy is a good word (nice toy though, bling bling)

waytooslow
04-04-2005, 06:35 PM
slow yes.... I have T mobile using a treo 600, but if you have to have access to email and web it does the job.

forgot to add tried the sidekick, cool web tool and Im etc, but as a phone... uhmm sketchy is a good word (nice toy though, bling bling)

David Milner
04-04-2005, 07:23 PM
I have a few people using the Blackberry to access web and email.

Depending on what reliability you want, you might want to explore other options. How important is remote access? Is this just a, "I want to because I can?" thing or is there legitimate business applications.

Nextel has a modem that will give you dial up access for a laptop anywhere in their coverage area. Yea, it's not broadband, but considering what connectivity you have without it, it may work for you.

Your application will determine what sources you choose.

David

David Milner
04-04-2005, 07:23 PM
I have a few people using the Blackberry to access web and email.

Depending on what reliability you want, you might want to explore other options. How important is remote access? Is this just a, "I want to because I can?" thing or is there legitimate business applications.

Nextel has a modem that will give you dial up access for a laptop anywhere in their coverage area. Yea, it's not broadband, but considering what connectivity you have without it, it may work for you.

Your application will determine what sources you choose.

David

Jason Keene
04-04-2005, 07:28 PM
If Eric is asking.... He wants to because he can... :p

Jason Keene
04-04-2005, 07:28 PM
If Eric is asking.... He wants to because he can... :p

Jiveturky
04-04-2005, 09:07 PM
I could use a Palm for work purposes and since I am in need of another cell provider I thought what the Heck!!!! Ok I admit it Jason is Right I just wanted it BECAUSE?? After what you guys have said I don't think I will waist the money. I could use it for Doctor bills after Cresson anyway. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif My main concern was reliability and speed and neither seem to have high marks from your comments. Thanks for the HELP!!

Later, Eric

Jiveturky
04-04-2005, 09:07 PM
I could use a Palm for work purposes and since I am in need of another cell provider I thought what the Heck!!!! Ok I admit it Jason is Right I just wanted it BECAUSE?? After what you guys have said I don't think I will waist the money. I could use it for Doctor bills after Cresson anyway. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif My main concern was reliability and speed and neither seem to have high marks from your comments. Thanks for the HELP!!

Later, Eric

04-04-2005, 09:41 PM
If you're wanting to consolidate a PDA and a cell phone, look into the Treo 650. It runs the Palm OS, and still works decently as a cell phone. I tested out the 600 a while back, and I liked it...

04-04-2005, 09:41 PM
If you're wanting to consolidate a PDA and a cell phone, look into the Treo 650. It runs the Palm OS, and still works decently as a cell phone. I tested out the 600 a while back, and I liked it...

Jiveturky
04-05-2005, 01:31 PM
One last question. Will the PDA's accept a wireless router. I currently have Cable internet at the house with a laptop running off of a wireless router. Can the sidekick or the HP Ipac be utilized the same at least in my home??

Thanks, Eric Yost

Jiveturky
04-05-2005, 01:31 PM
One last question. Will the PDA's accept a wireless router. I currently have Cable internet at the house with a laptop running off of a wireless router. Can the sidekick or the HP Ipac be utilized the same at least in my home??

Thanks, Eric Yost

04-05-2005, 02:02 PM
The iPaq will accept a compact flash wireless card, but I'm pretty sure the sidekick won't.

04-05-2005, 02:02 PM
The iPaq will accept a compact flash wireless card, but I'm pretty sure the sidekick won't.

DCM122
04-05-2005, 02:10 PM
BLAH BLAH BLAH! YOU JUST WORRY ABOUT NOT RIDING THE KTM LIKE A GIRL!!!!

DCM122
04-05-2005, 02:10 PM
BLAH BLAH BLAH! YOU JUST WORRY ABOUT NOT RIDING THE KTM LIKE A GIRL!!!!

Jiveturky
04-05-2005, 03:33 PM
David,
That is what I thought. Thanks!!

Dusty,
This whole time I have been trying to get you to show me how to go faster when I should have been asking you how you manage to not get hurt after all of your CRASHES!! I crash my KTM once and break several bones and you crash on average 3 times a weekend and walk away. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Love You, Eric

Jiveturky
04-05-2005, 03:33 PM
David,
That is what I thought. Thanks!!

Dusty,
This whole time I have been trying to get you to show me how to go faster when I should have been asking you how you manage to not get hurt after all of your CRASHES!! I crash my KTM once and break several bones and you crash on average 3 times a weekend and walk away. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Love You, Eric

Derek Heaton
04-07-2005, 11:07 AM
Eric,

I used to use my sprint phone and my laptop to dial out to the internet. I got about 260kbs. It was ok for occasional use, but I would lose the dns server if I spent any time on a page. I stopped doing it because I came to find out that it is forbidden by the sprint contract.

I like the Treo 650 for access from the phone. If you need to access a web page that was not written for phone access, you can install a small app to do it.

I don't know if it has 802.11 capabilities built in, but there is a SD slot and I'm sure someone makes an adapter for it. You would use this to connect to the web via a wireless link.

The Treo 650 is available through Sprint or T-mobile. Sprint works well at all the tracks except for OHR.

Derek Heaton
04-07-2005, 11:07 AM
Eric,

I used to use my sprint phone and my laptop to dial out to the internet. I got about 260kbs. It was ok for occasional use, but I would lose the dns server if I spent any time on a page. I stopped doing it because I came to find out that it is forbidden by the sprint contract.

I like the Treo 650 for access from the phone. If you need to access a web page that was not written for phone access, you can install a small app to do it.

I don't know if it has 802.11 capabilities built in, but there is a SD slot and I'm sure someone makes an adapter for it. You would use this to connect to the web via a wireless link.

The Treo 650 is available through Sprint or T-mobile. Sprint works well at all the tracks except for OHR.

waytooslow
04-07-2005, 02:48 PM
The 650 is not yet available from T Mobile just the 600 at present hopefully in teh future. go see www.mytreo.net (http://www.mytreo.net) for more info on the treo.

I am running Xiino as my web browser, it is fast and uses a feed from the morbius server that converts web pages to be more in sync with the treo, downside is when the morbius server craters (on occasion) no web access, but Blazer (builtin browser) still works.

waytooslow
04-07-2005, 02:48 PM
The 650 is not yet available from T Mobile just the 600 at present hopefully in teh future. go see www.mytreo.net (http://www.mytreo.net) for more info on the treo.

I am running Xiino as my web browser, it is fast and uses a feed from the morbius server that converts web pages to be more in sync with the treo, downside is when the morbius server craters (on occasion) no web access, but Blazer (builtin browser) still works.

Jiveturky
04-09-2005, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the info Guys. I must Tell you that the Siemens SX66 is the Bomb. I am writing this Message to you with one while running from my wireless router at home.
later, Eric

Jiveturky
04-09-2005, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the info Guys. I must Tell you that the Siemens SX66 is the Bomb. I am writing this Message to you with one while running from my wireless router at home.
later, Eric