PDA

View Full Version : Honda or Yamaha?

Scott Beckley
11-28-2002, 10:48 PM
My 97 XR 100 is past wore out. We got it new almost 5 years ago. I train on it on my TT track in the back of our property almost every day and it is getting tired.

Dad says we are replacing it. So what bike to get is the biggest question.

I really like the Yamaha TT-125 but I don't know why everyone always talks about the Honda. Is the Yamaha not as good as it looks? Or should we try to find the new Honda CRF-150 or go back to another Honda XR-100.

Also what Yamaha dealer has the best deal on bikes?

Thanks for your input and Happy Thanksgiving.

Scott Beckley
www.scottbeckley.com (http://www.scottbeckley.com)
#494 CMRA
#10N AMA

Scott Beckley
11-28-2002, 10:48 PM
My 97 XR 100 is past wore out. We got it new almost 5 years ago. I train on it on my TT track in the back of our property almost every day and it is getting tired.

Dad says we are replacing it. So what bike to get is the biggest question.

I really like the Yamaha TT-125 but I don't know why everyone always talks about the Honda. Is the Yamaha not as good as it looks? Or should we try to find the new Honda CRF-150 or go back to another Honda XR-100.

Also what Yamaha dealer has the best deal on bikes?

Thanks for your input and Happy Thanksgiving.

Scott Beckley
www.scottbeckley.com (http://www.scottbeckley.com)
#494 CMRA
#10N AMA

mark niemi
11-29-2002, 07:38 AM
Scott, I just picked up a 150 CRF. It's a great bike, but not worlds above the TTR.I think they're very close to each other. I had a Yamaha TTR for two years and rode it constantly. I never had a bit of trouble.I'm sure Norm could fix you up with a Yamaha if you decide on one.
The Honda's got a few more inches of travel and aluminum rims, and also feels a little faster than my Yamaha. It's got some big shoes to fill, so only time will tell. You could make your decision like our endurance team does. You could toss a coin(if anyone has one left).That's how close I think they are.
One thing I am certain about is this....the XR100 is a thing of the past for me. It's just not big enough.

mark niemi
11-29-2002, 07:38 AM
Scott, I just picked up a 150 CRF. It's a great bike, but not worlds above the TTR.I think they're very close to each other. I had a Yamaha TTR for two years and rode it constantly. I never had a bit of trouble.I'm sure Norm could fix you up with a Yamaha if you decide on one.
The Honda's got a few more inches of travel and aluminum rims, and also feels a little faster than my Yamaha. It's got some big shoes to fill, so only time will tell. You could make your decision like our endurance team does. You could toss a coin(if anyone has one left).That's how close I think they are.
One thing I am certain about is this....the XR100 is a thing of the past for me. It's just not big enough.

Steve McNamara
11-29-2002, 02:22 PM
CRF150. All the way.
Front disk brake,wider pegs. I have one coming for my girlfriend. Of course, I'm sure I'll get some seat time on her as well. The bike that is.......

Steve McNamara
11-29-2002, 02:22 PM
CRF150. All the way.
Front disk brake,wider pegs. I have one coming for my girlfriend. Of course, I'm sure I'll get some seat time on her as well. The bike that is.......

mark niemi
11-29-2002, 06:07 PM
Allrighty Mac. Sounds pretty cool.Motardmania.
Now that the pain pills are gone, how are you feeling? The North Texas Chapter of the MacMan Fan Club is worried.
Poor Suzanne.......stuck with the second biggest child on the planet.

mark niemi
11-29-2002, 06:07 PM
Allrighty Mac. Sounds pretty cool.Motardmania.
Now that the pain pills are gone, how are you feeling? The North Texas Chapter of the MacMan Fan Club is worried.
Poor Suzanne.......stuck with the second biggest child on the planet.

waytooslow
11-29-2002, 06:28 PM
150 :p . .. J/K ... now as soon as the 230F hits the floor.. I'll be there...

Actually having ridden onefifty (MN's), I liked it , good suspension for a mini. Now all that is needed is a uncorking... breathe little best breathe..

An even bigger child.

Scott

waytooslow
11-29-2002, 06:28 PM
150 :p . .. J/K ... now as soon as the 230F hits the floor.. I'll be there...

Actually having ridden onefifty (MN's), I liked it , good suspension for a mini. Now all that is needed is a uncorking... breathe little best breathe..

An even bigger child.

Scott

Steve McNamara
11-29-2002, 09:19 PM
I still have a few Tylox left. I am trying to use them only for sleep.
They work pretty well. I still like the morphine from the E.R. in Ft. Worth better.
We will be coming up to the festivities on Saturday night. It will be more fun than my last trip there.
As far as Suzanne goes she deserves a MEDAL....

Steve McNamara
11-29-2002, 09:19 PM
I still have a few Tylox left. I am trying to use them only for sleep.
They work pretty well. I still like the morphine from the E.R. in Ft. Worth better.
We will be coming up to the festivities on Saturday night. It will be more fun than my last trip there.
As far as Suzanne goes she deserves a MEDAL....

Jeff Grant
11-29-2002, 11:53 PM
pssst... hey Mac... good goin' on the whole "collar bone" thing... great way to get some extra TLC from the gal. You da man!

/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Jeff Grant
11-29-2002, 11:53 PM
pssst... hey Mac... good goin' on the whole "collar bone" thing... great way to get some extra TLC from the gal. You da man!

/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

tyzr85
11-30-2002, 09:21 PM
david and my dad went on there ttr125 to play with heath and john and smoked them.
ttr all the way /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

tyzr85
11-30-2002, 09:21 PM
david and my dad went on there ttr125 to play with heath and john and smoked them.
ttr all the way /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Todd Gyure
11-30-2002, 09:48 PM
XR100's are good enough for King Kenny Roberts, and all those Supebike and GP stars that train at his ranch...they are good enough for me.....

Todd Gyure
11-30-2002, 09:48 PM
XR100's are good enough for King Kenny Roberts, and all those Supebike and GP stars that train at his ranch...they are good enough for me.....

mark niemi
11-30-2002, 09:49 PM
Tyler, your dad smokes people on whatever he rides.

mark niemi
11-30-2002, 09:49 PM
Tyler, your dad smokes people on whatever he rides.

LWSB464
12-01-2002, 12:29 AM
Kawasaki KLX125 With the 150 kit will be the ride to beat, Gentlemen

LWSB464
12-01-2002, 12:29 AM
Kawasaki KLX125 With the 150 kit will be the ride to beat, Gentlemen

Jiveturky
12-03-2002, 06:26 PM
Scott,

If you have any trouble locating a CRF 150 give Crossroads Honda a call in Duncan Ok 580-255-7576. Tell them that I told you to call and that you are a CMRA member. They will bend over backwards for you. They have always treated me right. Whatever you buy wherever you buy it, make sure the people you buy from give something back to the sport and not just take.

Later, Eric

Jiveturky
12-03-2002, 06:26 PM
Scott,

If you have any trouble locating a CRF 150 give Crossroads Honda a call in Duncan Ok 580-255-7576. Tell them that I told you to call and that you are a CMRA member. They will bend over backwards for you. They have always treated me right. Whatever you buy wherever you buy it, make sure the people you buy from give something back to the sport and not just take.

Later, Eric