PDA

View Full Version : To Hump or not to Hump

Frank Newman
04-22-2005, 11:43 AM
No, what I'm talking about is the back hump on race leathers. I would like to hear opinions as to whether or not they help or hurt from a safety perspective or other opinions. Thanks.

Frank Newman
04-22-2005, 11:43 AM
No, what I'm talking about is the back hump on race leathers. I would like to hear opinions as to whether or not they help or hurt from a safety perspective or other opinions. Thanks.

wsb742
04-22-2005, 12:30 PM
I just went through this thought process as I bought a new suit this year, with a hump. Last year's suit didn't have one, and I crashed, and I landed on the backside of my shoulder joint, rolling on over to the spine protector as I slid headfirst. I wish I'd had a hump, I wouldn't have needed to hold my head so high to keep it off the pavement. And I probably wouldn't have needed so many trips to the backcracker to get my neck set, either.

After thinking about that crash, but substituting being unconscious, I didn't like the outcome without the hump. Also, a highside ending with landing on the spine would seem to have a higher probability of neck injury without the hump. Additionally, I couldn't think of a situation where the hump would make an injury worse. So, I paid the extra to get it.

That said, if feels a bit more akward walking around, but I don't notice it riding.

wsb742
04-22-2005, 12:30 PM
I just went through this thought process as I bought a new suit this year, with a hump. Last year's suit didn't have one, and I crashed, and I landed on the backside of my shoulder joint, rolling on over to the spine protector as I slid headfirst. I wish I'd had a hump, I wouldn't have needed to hold my head so high to keep it off the pavement. And I probably wouldn't have needed so many trips to the backcracker to get my neck set, either.

After thinking about that crash, but substituting being unconscious, I didn't like the outcome without the hump. Also, a highside ending with landing on the spine would seem to have a higher probability of neck injury without the hump. Additionally, I couldn't think of a situation where the hump would make an injury worse. So, I paid the extra to get it.

That said, if feels a bit more akward walking around, but I don't notice it riding.

04-22-2005, 09:53 PM
One purpose for the "hump" is to line up your head(with a helmet on) with your spine if you are laying on your back... this way you don't hyper-extend your neck.

04-22-2005, 09:53 PM
One purpose for the "hump" is to line up your head(with a helmet on) with your spine if you are laying on your back... this way you don't hyper-extend your neck.

TX_03_RC51
04-24-2005, 08:25 PM
Sounds kinda like the "Cowboy collar" I wore when I played football in High School

TX_03_RC51
04-24-2005, 08:25 PM
Sounds kinda like the "Cowboy collar" I wore when I played football in High School