PDA

View Full Version : Race Kids Activities

Troy Fuller
04-25-2005, 02:05 PM
My kids love to come out to the race weekends; however it seems that they get bored pretty quickly with watching. I know that when they were allowed to ride their bikes they were having fun around the paddock all weekend long.

That being said, I applaude the CMRA for doing away with the kids and wheels in the Paddock rule (this posting is not intended to argue that opinion, so please avoid the temptation).

What I would like to discuss is any idea on activities for kids during races. It seems that as an organization we could be exposing our future up-and-commers to racing while giving them something (kid focused) to do during the race weekends.

What I am not talking about here is a daycare, instead maybe a couple of hours each day to give the kids an activity to do that is focused on our sport. I am in no way qualified to lead a charge in this area, however I do have kids that I thing would get into someting like that.

Please share your ideas . . .

Troy Fuller
04-25-2005, 02:05 PM
My kids love to come out to the race weekends; however it seems that they get bored pretty quickly with watching. I know that when they were allowed to ride their bikes they were having fun around the paddock all weekend long.

That being said, I applaude the CMRA for doing away with the kids and wheels in the Paddock rule (this posting is not intended to argue that opinion, so please avoid the temptation).

What I would like to discuss is any idea on activities for kids during races. It seems that as an organization we could be exposing our future up-and-commers to racing while giving them something (kid focused) to do during the race weekends.

What I am not talking about here is a daycare, instead maybe a couple of hours each day to give the kids an activity to do that is focused on our sport. I am in no way qualified to lead a charge in this area, however I do have kids that I thing would get into someting like that.

Please share your ideas . . .

Harry Tomlinson
04-25-2005, 02:27 PM
Troy,
I agree it's a great idea.
A few years ago we had a race in Topeka that fell on Easter weekend. On Sunday an EasterEgg hunt was held and was a great successs. The reason it worked out was because a few racers wives got together, got BOD support, planned and executed it.

With respect to all of the racers without kid's, it's not (and should not be) their concern.

A suggestion would be (with BOD support and possibly cursory participation) to put together a small of racers/families to organize and carry out race weekend activities.

Melissa will probably shoot me, but I'm sure GMAN Racing would help to support this effort.
Harry Tomlinson
GMAN Racing

Harry Tomlinson
04-25-2005, 02:27 PM
Troy,
I agree it's a great idea.
A few years ago we had a race in Topeka that fell on Easter weekend. On Sunday an EasterEgg hunt was held and was a great successs. The reason it worked out was because a few racers wives got together, got BOD support, planned and executed it.

With respect to all of the racers without kid's, it's not (and should not be) their concern.

A suggestion would be (with BOD support and possibly cursory participation) to put together a small of racers/families to organize and carry out race weekend activities.

Melissa will probably shoot me, but I'm sure GMAN Racing would help to support this effort.
Harry Tomlinson
GMAN Racing

wsb742
04-25-2005, 02:46 PM
I think it's a great idea, but my fan club president is a bit too young, yet. Maybe in about the '07 season.........

Scott

wsb742
04-25-2005, 02:46 PM
I think it's a great idea, but my fan club president is a bit too young, yet. Maybe in about the '07 season.........

Scott

Igal
04-25-2005, 05:27 PM
how about a moonwalk. 200-300/day rental.

since its obvious anything with motorcycles is not gonna happen.

a motorcycle shaped moonwalk. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Igal
04-25-2005, 05:27 PM
how about a moonwalk. 200-300/day rental.

since its obvious anything with motorcycles is not gonna happen.

a motorcycle shaped moonwalk. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Joe Chatham
04-25-2005, 06:25 PM
We are in talks to bring our Empower Your Future to the track for the next Cresson round. That means we will have a motorcycle round up where kids and parents can ride in a safe and fun supervised area. We will let you know details later.

Joe Chatham
www.empoweryourfuture.org (http://www.empoweryourfuture.org)

Joe Chatham
04-25-2005, 06:25 PM
We are in talks to bring our Empower Your Future to the track for the next Cresson round. That means we will have a motorcycle round up where kids and parents can ride in a safe and fun supervised area. We will let you know details later.

Joe Chatham
www.empoweryourfuture.org (http://www.empoweryourfuture.org)

Buck Beasley
04-25-2005, 08:17 PM
How about a separate meeting for parents with kids. I know that my kid usually just needs an introduction to anyone close to his age and they are off and into something that facinates young minds. I thought it ws nice that Hallett has a playground. I'd suggest reserving one of the covered pits near the playground so it's easy for you to watch and for them to play. I also tag my kid with phone numbers, bike numbers, and pit area so if he runs off to play with other kids everyone knows who he belongs to. I will be bringing my son to Hallett so anyone out there with kids in the six year old range look us up. We always have movies and playstation in the trailer. I'll offer up my trailer for a scheduled movie showings for kids if we can get a few parents together to cover trade off supervision. It's not big, but somehow that makes it more fun for kids. I'd also add, bring those board games!! Sorry, Trouble, and other easy kid games will keep them occupied for hours together. The best thing we can do is get them together, that way they know they will have friends to play with at the track and they'll do the rest. Great post, for those of you lucky enough to have kids and a lady who will join you at the track, let's get them involved too.

Buck Beasley
04-25-2005, 08:17 PM
How about a separate meeting for parents with kids. I know that my kid usually just needs an introduction to anyone close to his age and they are off and into something that facinates young minds. I thought it ws nice that Hallett has a playground. I'd suggest reserving one of the covered pits near the playground so it's easy for you to watch and for them to play. I also tag my kid with phone numbers, bike numbers, and pit area so if he runs off to play with other kids everyone knows who he belongs to. I will be bringing my son to Hallett so anyone out there with kids in the six year old range look us up. We always have movies and playstation in the trailer. I'll offer up my trailer for a scheduled movie showings for kids if we can get a few parents together to cover trade off supervision. It's not big, but somehow that makes it more fun for kids. I'd also add, bring those board games!! Sorry, Trouble, and other easy kid games will keep them occupied for hours together. The best thing we can do is get them together, that way they know they will have friends to play with at the track and they'll do the rest. Great post, for those of you lucky enough to have kids and a lady who will join you at the track, let's get them involved too.

Derek Heaton
04-26-2005, 11:43 AM
Anything that the club does as an organized activity makes the club liable. I would suggest that as individual members, we hire a couple of the teenaged non-racers to hang with the kids. Maybe with rotating areas where they can watch a movie, play games, playstation, etc.

Derek Heaton
04-26-2005, 11:43 AM
Anything that the club does as an organized activity makes the club liable. I would suggest that as individual members, we hire a couple of the teenaged non-racers to hang with the kids. Maybe with rotating areas where they can watch a movie, play games, playstation, etc.

Bryan Altmeyer
04-26-2005, 12:51 PM
My family and I were pitted out on the old drag strip. There were plenty of kids throwing footballs, baseballs and doing whatever to keep them selves occupied in the grassy areas. All without getting in the way of motorcycles and adults (that I know of). I know itís hard for those with kids that are pitted in the garage areas to let the kids play that far away from them but what about pitting out there? I know at the next TWS event I plan on pitting out there just because I have kids and it gives them a place to play. Just an idea.

Bryan Altmeyer
04-26-2005, 12:51 PM
My family and I were pitted out on the old drag strip. There were plenty of kids throwing footballs, baseballs and doing whatever to keep them selves occupied in the grassy areas. All without getting in the way of motorcycles and adults (that I know of). I know itís hard for those with kids that are pitted in the garage areas to let the kids play that far away from them but what about pitting out there? I know at the next TWS event I plan on pitting out there just because I have kids and it gives them a place to play. Just an idea.

Derek Heaton
04-27-2005, 11:14 AM
What about designating a 'family' pit area or kids play area at each track? The older kids can police the younger kids. I think we all have cell phones. We could just write the number on their wrist bands. If anyone gets out of hand that's a time-out from the play area.

The strip @ TWS, back 40 @ OHR, playground @ Hallett, tech-side bleacher lawn @ MSR.

If someone has a big trailer that would fit a bunch of kids, I would be willing to bring movies, playstation games, etcetera.

Derek Heaton
04-27-2005, 11:14 AM
What about designating a 'family' pit area or kids play area at each track? The older kids can police the younger kids. I think we all have cell phones. We could just write the number on their wrist bands. If anyone gets out of hand that's a time-out from the play area.

The strip @ TWS, back 40 @ OHR, playground @ Hallett, tech-side bleacher lawn @ MSR.

If someone has a big trailer that would fit a bunch of kids, I would be willing to bring movies, playstation games, etcetera.