PDA

View Full Version : Parking at TWS need attention

Ty Howard
04-25-2005, 10:00 PM
I got to TWS on Friday night and had to park by the carousel. Holly cow!!! are you serious. I would have had front row parking a few years ago. Obviously the CMRA is growing and fast.

You can't hear anything out there. I missed the start of the endurance three times (twice in less than five laps)

Saturday, I'm walking around the pits and see a bunch of cars just park everywhere with front row seats. Racers friends or whatever, park your cars outside the pits.

I was very lucky and fortunate to find good parking on Sat. night when an endurance team was leaving and saved me their spot. Thank you very much.

Some of my friends where still parked on the back road for Sunday. Many of them missed warm up laps or arrived at the pit out so early that they had to wait 5 to 10 minutes to go out. So much for tire warmers.

So I'm looking around on Sunday. It looked like a parking lot not a pit area. I'm seeing lots of vehicles parked in the pits for no reason. With some responsible parking we can fit everyone in the pits.

If you have a garage park you vehicles outside of the pits. If you have a trailer park the tow vehicle outside of the pits. If your not racing definitely don't park your vehicle in the pits. Its hard for the CMRA to regulate this. So be polite to follow racers and do it yourself.

Its not a big deal until you miss your warm up lap or race. Then you will understand to but it doesn't have to come to that.

Ty Howard
04-25-2005, 10:00 PM
I got to TWS on Friday night and had to park by the carousel. Holly cow!!! are you serious. I would have had front row parking a few years ago. Obviously the CMRA is growing and fast.

You can't hear anything out there. I missed the start of the endurance three times (twice in less than five laps)

Saturday, I'm walking around the pits and see a bunch of cars just park everywhere with front row seats. Racers friends or whatever, park your cars outside the pits.

I was very lucky and fortunate to find good parking on Sat. night when an endurance team was leaving and saved me their spot. Thank you very much.

Some of my friends where still parked on the back road for Sunday. Many of them missed warm up laps or arrived at the pit out so early that they had to wait 5 to 10 minutes to go out. So much for tire warmers.

So I'm looking around on Sunday. It looked like a parking lot not a pit area. I'm seeing lots of vehicles parked in the pits for no reason. With some responsible parking we can fit everyone in the pits.

If you have a garage park you vehicles outside of the pits. If you have a trailer park the tow vehicle outside of the pits. If your not racing definitely don't park your vehicle in the pits. Its hard for the CMRA to regulate this. So be polite to follow racers and do it yourself.

Its not a big deal until you miss your warm up lap or race. Then you will understand to but it doesn't have to come to that.

CYCLE 1
04-25-2005, 10:22 PM
Ty , I arrived about three friday and had to park
out in the boondocks and wait for two hours
before I could find a spot. This will be the norm
if we have open track days the day before a race.

CYCLE 1
04-25-2005, 10:22 PM
Ty , I arrived about three friday and had to park
out in the boondocks and wait for two hours
before I could find a spot. This will be the norm
if we have open track days the day before a race.

troysturtz
04-25-2005, 10:38 PM
Sometimes when the fruit is hangin low you just gotta pick it. Sure everyone will complain, but I'm sure you know how that feels. It's just life.
To me a good parking spot is just a little gift from god telling me that I must have done something right. I'm just glad that the CMRA has fans coming to the races in some venues.

Troy

troysturtz
04-25-2005, 10:38 PM
Sometimes when the fruit is hangin low you just gotta pick it. Sure everyone will complain, but I'm sure you know how that feels. It's just life.
To me a good parking spot is just a little gift from god telling me that I must have done something right. I'm just glad that the CMRA has fans coming to the races in some venues.

Troy

burner42
04-26-2005, 02:13 AM
In addition, we drive a bus to the races that will not fit through the tunnels, so we have to either be there before 5:30pm on Friday (some of us work), or go park at the back gate until 10:30 before we are allowed to enter the track. That sux! We arrived around 7:45 and the lazy TWS track employee at the front gate would not open the gate for us until 10:30 (he actually showed up at 10:48, even though he promised he would try to be early). We had zero time to unload and get our tires to David that night or prepare for the endurance race the following morning. Someone needs to bring this to the track owners attention. My buddy who owns the bus also races cars and said when he races cars at TWS they never treat the car drivers this way...
I agree with Ty, there should be someone to regulate the parking at our races, TWS has a ton of asphalt parking and it was a stretch finding something close to the speakers/track, it will be even harder at the smaller venues, I almost had to punch some smartass in the mouth at the last Cresson race because he crammed his car between our truck and trailer making it impossible to move stuff from the the trailer, when I told him we had this area saved for our bikes he simply said what bikes and left for the day /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif .
New rule, each racer gets one pit vehicle (car or truck) everyone else parks in spectator parking.

burner42
04-26-2005, 02:13 AM
In addition, we drive a bus to the races that will not fit through the tunnels, so we have to either be there before 5:30pm on Friday (some of us work), or go park at the back gate until 10:30 before we are allowed to enter the track. That sux! We arrived around 7:45 and the lazy TWS track employee at the front gate would not open the gate for us until 10:30 (he actually showed up at 10:48, even though he promised he would try to be early). We had zero time to unload and get our tires to David that night or prepare for the endurance race the following morning. Someone needs to bring this to the track owners attention. My buddy who owns the bus also races cars and said when he races cars at TWS they never treat the car drivers this way...
I agree with Ty, there should be someone to regulate the parking at our races, TWS has a ton of asphalt parking and it was a stretch finding something close to the speakers/track, it will be even harder at the smaller venues, I almost had to punch some smartass in the mouth at the last Cresson race because he crammed his car between our truck and trailer making it impossible to move stuff from the the trailer, when I told him we had this area saved for our bikes he simply said what bikes and left for the day /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif .
New rule, each racer gets one pit vehicle (car or truck) everyone else parks in spectator parking.

Michael Patterson
04-26-2005, 07:42 AM
I have to agree with the spectators parking in the grass. If this club is going to grow we are going to have to take care of our riders. TWS is a huge place that can handle every rider in the club and alot more with just a little organization. I am sure the people who got to park up front don't see any problem but if you are like us and were stuck out in the middle of nowhere they would be *****ing a blue streak too. We waited till 3rd call and still had to wait up to 10 min to go out on the track. Yea so much for warmers!!!!!!

If you use your trailer to pit out of then dont take up a garage space, if you use the garage then dont leave your empty trailer taking up valuable pit space. Problem solved with just a little bit of thinking ahead. BE NICE AND MAKE SOME ROOM!!!!

Michael Patterson
04-26-2005, 07:42 AM
I have to agree with the spectators parking in the grass. If this club is going to grow we are going to have to take care of our riders. TWS is a huge place that can handle every rider in the club and alot more with just a little organization. I am sure the people who got to park up front don't see any problem but if you are like us and were stuck out in the middle of nowhere they would be *****ing a blue streak too. We waited till 3rd call and still had to wait up to 10 min to go out on the track. Yea so much for warmers!!!!!!

If you use your trailer to pit out of then dont take up a garage space, if you use the garage then dont leave your empty trailer taking up valuable pit space. Problem solved with just a little bit of thinking ahead. BE NICE AND MAKE SOME ROOM!!!!

DMS Racing
04-26-2005, 01:23 PM
Was the FM radio transmission system not working? I thought that would overcome those weak speaker system woes. People over in the carousel were able to pick it up on race day, I heard. That doesn't address parking issues, but it will at least keep you on your schedule...

DMS Racing
04-26-2005, 01:23 PM
Was the FM radio transmission system not working? I thought that would overcome those weak speaker system woes. People over in the carousel were able to pick it up on race day, I heard. That doesn't address parking issues, but it will at least keep you on your schedule...

04-26-2005, 01:31 PM
it was working for the most part... except when it was transmitting some kind of Harley V-twin sounding noise...

04-26-2005, 01:31 PM
it was working for the most part... except when it was transmitting some kind of Harley V-twin sounding noise...

Ty Howard
04-26-2005, 02:14 PM
The radio transmission was working, kind of. But when they make third call and then you get up their and wait 10 minutes to go on track. They could just say come on first call, either way your tires are still going to be cold. First or third once you seat their for more than 10 minutes your going to be pissed. Everyone that doesn't understand what the big deal is, I will save you a nice spot entering turn three. Then you will understand how bad it sucks.

Ty Howard
04-26-2005, 02:14 PM
The radio transmission was working, kind of. But when they make third call and then you get up their and wait 10 minutes to go on track. They could just say come on first call, either way your tires are still going to be cold. First or third once you seat their for more than 10 minutes your going to be pissed. Everyone that doesn't understand what the big deal is, I will save you a nice spot entering turn three. Then you will understand how bad it sucks.

Ara Tidwell
04-26-2005, 02:34 PM
First off I would like to apologize for hogging a parking space with my car...

However, in the 4 years I have been coming to TWS the managment has been nothing but total nazi morons. Far too controlling, seriously untrusting, and just plain stupid sometimes. I had trouble sleeping both nights I was at the track, and I noticed TWS security vehicles "guarding" the parimiter of the track.

Not to mention charging $15 to arrive Friday night after a track day had already taken place.

I can't really give any examples off hand, but I think most people here know what I mean when I say "TWS Nazi's"

Yes, they do seem to dislike motorcycle racers and treat us like we're all punks or something.

When was the last time Joe Racer heard a word from the managment at Cresson?

Ara Tidwell
04-26-2005, 02:34 PM
First off I would like to apologize for hogging a parking space with my car...

However, in the 4 years I have been coming to TWS the managment has been nothing but total nazi morons. Far too controlling, seriously untrusting, and just plain stupid sometimes. I had trouble sleeping both nights I was at the track, and I noticed TWS security vehicles "guarding" the parimiter of the track.

Not to mention charging $15 to arrive Friday night after a track day had already taken place.

I can't really give any examples off hand, but I think most people here know what I mean when I say "TWS Nazi's"

Yes, they do seem to dislike motorcycle racers and treat us like we're all punks or something.

When was the last time Joe Racer heard a word from the managment at Cresson?

Ara Tidwell
04-26-2005, 02:36 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In addition, we drive a bus to the races that will not fit through the tunnels, [/QB]</div></div>Myles... If you pimp a rock star bus to the races... Why not just go to the rock star helicopter and avoid the tunnel issue?

Ara Tidwell
04-26-2005, 02:36 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In addition, we drive a bus to the races that will not fit through the tunnels, [/QB]</div></div>Myles... If you pimp a rock star bus to the races... Why not just go to the rock star helicopter and avoid the tunnel issue?

DMS Racing
04-26-2005, 02:50 PM
I understand. I was lucky as I pitted at the track hot pit entrance. I couldn't hear a thing, but I didn't need to....in fact, I got suited up and just sat there with my tire warmers on until folks started rolling onto the track.

Turn 3 on cold tires?....oh yeah, I remember, I puckered up there at MY slow pace in the 2nd leg of the red flagged B SS Nov race, with NOTHING on the line, after I didn't put my warmers back on while waiting for the re-start.

DMS Racing
04-26-2005, 02:50 PM
I understand. I was lucky as I pitted at the track hot pit entrance. I couldn't hear a thing, but I didn't need to....in fact, I got suited up and just sat there with my tire warmers on until folks started rolling onto the track.

Turn 3 on cold tires?....oh yeah, I remember, I puckered up there at MY slow pace in the 2nd leg of the red flagged B SS Nov race, with NOTHING on the line, after I didn't put my warmers back on while waiting for the re-start.

burner42
04-26-2005, 07:53 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Ara Tidwell:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In addition, we drive a bus to the races that will not fit through the tunnels, </div></div>Myles... If you pimp a rock star bus to the races... Why not just go to the rock star helicopter and avoid the tunnel issue? [/QB]</div></div>Ara, we are working on a Bell Jet Ranger, got a few loose ends to take care of, and actually thought about maybe flying the Gulfstream to the next TWS race, and just land it on the drag strip, I was sizing it up on the CRF50, it will definitely take some serious reverse thrust and full flaps, but it can be done /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif ...
Myles

burner42
04-26-2005, 07:53 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Ara Tidwell:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In addition, we drive a bus to the races that will not fit through the tunnels, </div></div>Myles... If you pimp a rock star bus to the races... Why not just go to the rock star helicopter and avoid the tunnel issue? [/QB]</div></div>Ara, we are working on a Bell Jet Ranger, got a few loose ends to take care of, and actually thought about maybe flying the Gulfstream to the next TWS race, and just land it on the drag strip, I was sizing it up on the CRF50, it will definitely take some serious reverse thrust and full flaps, but it can be done /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif ...
Myles

Michael Patterson
04-26-2005, 09:45 PM

I can't really give any examples off hand, but I think most people here know what I mean when I say "TWS Nazi's" </div></div>Well I guess you have never been to an AMA race, If you think the TWS gues are Nazi's. The AMA guys make the TWS guys look like sweet schoolgirls!!!!

Michael Patterson
04-26-2005, 09:45 PM

I can't really give any examples off hand, but I think most people here know what I mean when I say "TWS Nazi's" </div></div>Well I guess you have never been to an AMA race, If you think the TWS gues are Nazi's. The AMA guys make the TWS guys look like sweet schoolgirls!!!!

Ara Tidwell
04-26-2005, 10:11 PM
There's a difference between the club you race for calling the shots, than it is for the property managment who rented the track to your club...

Myles, the gulfstream should work fine if you fly on 30 min VFR reserves. I think with a light load the 2700ft flat straight of the oval should do. Just have a friend bring in a bunch of 5gal jugs of jetA/kerosine for takeoff... Fly to Easterwood to top off the tanks...

But try to get those lose ends on the Bell Jet Ranger worked out.

Ara Tidwell
04-26-2005, 10:11 PM
There's a difference between the club you race for calling the shots, than it is for the property managment who rented the track to your club...

Myles, the gulfstream should work fine if you fly on 30 min VFR reserves. I think with a light load the 2700ft flat straight of the oval should do. Just have a friend bring in a bunch of 5gal jugs of jetA/kerosine for takeoff... Fly to Easterwood to top off the tanks...

But try to get those lose ends on the Bell Jet Ranger worked out.

burner42
04-26-2005, 11:03 PM
Ara,
Will Do /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

burner42
04-26-2005, 11:03 PM
Ara,
Will Do /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Tom Thompson
04-27-2005, 08:28 AM
The solution to this problem is Pit-parking cards one for each racer. Hang from the rear veiw mirror simular to the handicap parking tags. They could be sent to the racer with their license # and bike # printed on it. Charge $10 to cover the cost. Vender, Photographer and Staff cards free.

Tom Thompson
04-27-2005, 08:28 AM
The solution to this problem is Pit-parking cards one for each racer. Hang from the rear veiw mirror simular to the handicap parking tags. They could be sent to the racer with their license # and bike # printed on it. Charge $10 to cover the cost. Vender, Photographer and Staff cards free.

mnellis
04-27-2005, 08:52 AM
Ty, like you, we were forced out to the bonnies even though we were at the gate before 5:00 on Friday. As more of us (and I'm assuming this included you) get these larger, 30+' trailers or halers, then the avaliable area for these rigs is going to diminish. That was very evident at Oak Hill even with the removal of the fences and upgrades to the parking.

In our case, I think the turn 10 spot was a blessing in disguise. It was very quiet at night, the radio worked great (the occasionl buzzing did get irritating at times) and we never missed a 3rd call or were late for a warm-up lap or grid. It would be nice if everyone could have a front row seat for their trailers so we could see when the officials are letting riders on the track and we could keep our warmers on until the last second, but that's just not reality.

I agree that there were lots of un-necessary cars parked on the asphalt, but in the case of large trailers I doubt that it would have helped.

In the end, as long as the 2nd and 3rd calls are accurate and timely and there are no delays in removing carnage or oil spills, then the other 75% of us that don't have friends holding prime parking spots for us so we can watch the pit out area, will just have to manage.

The club is growing and these are the pains that go along with it. Hallet is going to be a real mess if the same size crowd shows up. That dirt field is going to see lots of use. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

mnellis
04-27-2005, 08:52 AM
Ty, like you, we were forced out to the bonnies even though we were at the gate before 5:00 on Friday. As more of us (and I'm assuming this included you) get these larger, 30+' trailers or halers, then the avaliable area for these rigs is going to diminish. That was very evident at Oak Hill even with the removal of the fences and upgrades to the parking.

In our case, I think the turn 10 spot was a blessing in disguise. It was very quiet at night, the radio worked great (the occasionl buzzing did get irritating at times) and we never missed a 3rd call or were late for a warm-up lap or grid. It would be nice if everyone could have a front row seat for their trailers so we could see when the officials are letting riders on the track and we could keep our warmers on until the last second, but that's just not reality.

I agree that there were lots of un-necessary cars parked on the asphalt, but in the case of large trailers I doubt that it would have helped.

In the end, as long as the 2nd and 3rd calls are accurate and timely and there are no delays in removing carnage or oil spills, then the other 75% of us that don't have friends holding prime parking spots for us so we can watch the pit out area, will just have to manage.

The club is growing and these are the pains that go along with it. Hallet is going to be a real mess if the same size crowd shows up. That dirt field is going to see lots of use. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif