PDA

View Full Version : Gridding Observation

DMS Racing
04-26-2005, 04:11 PM
In the "B" SuperStock Novice race: 2nd start after the red flagged first 3 laps, a rider filtered through the third wave and entered the 2nd wave grid as the 1st wave received the green. This placed the 'filtering' rider turning across in front of me in the 13th row outside position and stopping just as the flag dropped for our 2nd wave start, creating a condition that was a little distracting and 'tense', as he was unable to reach his grid spot and was at a slight angle to the pack as our wave got the green. There was no incident and all got away cleanly, so that was a positive outcome to the situation, albeit it a little nerve wreaking.

Is it possible for race control/grid personnel to prevent riders from entering the back of the grid(s) once the starter takes the podium? It seems that this would be a safe solution to prevent this problem from occuring again in the future. I know that the race officials were aware of the 'incident', for want of a better word, but it seems like prevention would be better than the penalty action I understood was under contemplation, if that is a realistic solution, personnelwise.

The crew and staff did a heck of a job considering the record 730 entries, so please don't take this post as a complaint against the race control folks, CMRA staff or the rider. I am only making an observation regarding a potential safety issue that may have a simple solution for consideration by those who make those type of decisions.

Respectfully,

John Whiting

DMS Racing
04-26-2005, 04:11 PM
In the "B" SuperStock Novice race: 2nd start after the red flagged first 3 laps, a rider filtered through the third wave and entered the 2nd wave grid as the 1st wave received the green. This placed the 'filtering' rider turning across in front of me in the 13th row outside position and stopping just as the flag dropped for our 2nd wave start, creating a condition that was a little distracting and 'tense', as he was unable to reach his grid spot and was at a slight angle to the pack as our wave got the green. There was no incident and all got away cleanly, so that was a positive outcome to the situation, albeit it a little nerve wreaking.

Is it possible for race control/grid personnel to prevent riders from entering the back of the grid(s) once the starter takes the podium? It seems that this would be a safe solution to prevent this problem from occuring again in the future. I know that the race officials were aware of the 'incident', for want of a better word, but it seems like prevention would be better than the penalty action I understood was under contemplation, if that is a realistic solution, personnelwise.

The crew and staff did a heck of a job considering the record 730 entries, so please don't take this post as a complaint against the race control folks, CMRA staff or the rider. I am only making an observation regarding a potential safety issue that may have a simple solution for consideration by those who make those type of decisions.

Respectfully,

John Whiting

Derek Heaton
04-27-2005, 11:05 AM
Jon, That was a miscommunication between me and the starter.

I had a late rider come to the grid and I sent him to his position thinking that Wesly still saw me on the grid (I think that he may have needed binoculars to see me that far back). Wesly thought that I was already off the grid and started the race as the guy was trying to get to his grid.

I had a talk with Wes and I don't think something like this will happen again, but I can't gaurantee it.

For your part as racers, I would ask that you all leave pregrid in a timely manner. If you think you are going to be slow around the track, leave early. Don't wait in pregrid for your buddy or for a clear track.

Derek Heaton
04-27-2005, 11:05 AM
Jon, That was a miscommunication between me and the starter.

I had a late rider come to the grid and I sent him to his position thinking that Wesly still saw me on the grid (I think that he may have needed binoculars to see me that far back). Wesly thought that I was already off the grid and started the race as the guy was trying to get to his grid.

I had a talk with Wes and I don't think something like this will happen again, but I can't gaurantee it.

For your part as racers, I would ask that you all leave pregrid in a timely manner. If you think you are going to be slow around the track, leave early. Don't wait in pregrid for your buddy or for a clear track.

DMS Racing
04-27-2005, 08:11 PM
Thanks Derek. You guys did a great job and I appreciate it.

DMS Racing
04-27-2005, 08:11 PM
Thanks Derek. You guys did a great job and I appreciate it.