PDA

View Full Version : Crashing and Hallett, whats the relation?

Todd Gyure
05-16-2005, 12:16 PM
Been racing CMRA since '96, and last weekend at Hallett was the most crashing at an endurance race that I can remember. During one of my 50 min stints I counted 5 get offs two of which I witnessed...was thinking maybe there were land mines on the racing surface.(Maybe Sunday's sprints also).

I have a few other theories as to why......what does the rest of the Mboard think?

Todd
BAAAD DUC RACING
Endurance #60

Todd Gyure
05-16-2005, 12:16 PM
Been racing CMRA since '96, and last weekend at Hallett was the most crashing at an endurance race that I can remember. During one of my 50 min stints I counted 5 get offs two of which I witnessed...was thinking maybe there were land mines on the racing surface.(Maybe Sunday's sprints also).

I have a few other theories as to why......what does the rest of the Mboard think?

Todd
BAAAD DUC RACING
Endurance #60

Jason Keene
05-16-2005, 12:32 PM
Opening up a can of worms I see /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

Jason Keene
05-16-2005, 12:32 PM
Opening up a can of worms I see /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

Bob Cronin
05-16-2005, 12:40 PM
Maybe it was because of the Idiots specimen bottle coming off after the *****?! That WAS fuel right?

Bob Cronin
05-16-2005, 12:40 PM
Maybe it was because of the Idiots specimen bottle coming off after the *****?! That WAS fuel right?

Pierson Callahan
05-16-2005, 12:47 PM
well the track was green and I have been down x2 there in the past both times were the last turn before the front straight, I have two buddies that went down there as well, Alan Tan and Josh from LandShark Racing. It seems if you get off the line your in trouble. I walked the track with Scott Levine and found it a great help! I would suggest it highly.

Pierson Callahan
05-16-2005, 12:47 PM
well the track was green and I have been down x2 there in the past both times were the last turn before the front straight, I have two buddies that went down there as well, Alan Tan and Josh from LandShark Racing. It seems if you get off the line your in trouble. I walked the track with Scott Levine and found it a great help! I would suggest it highly.

Chris Headley
05-16-2005, 01:02 PM
Yes Bob, that was fuel. Add that Saturday to the list of days that I would like to forget.

Chris Headley
05-16-2005, 01:02 PM
Yes Bob, that was fuel. Add that Saturday to the list of days that I would like to forget.

jroberts5407
05-16-2005, 01:40 PM
Well for the sake of the discussion I will provide my first hand account of one of those crashes.

I crashed exiting "turn 11" onto the front straight on Saturday about 1 hour 30 minutes into the race. I think everyone on pit road got a nice show at my expense. DOH! No damage to me though and the bike can be fixed.

Basically I believe I lowsided by spinning up the rear tire. The bike slid out from underneath me very gently. No highside thank goodness. I was not hurt at all, well not beyond my pride anyway. :p

This was on an SV-650 which is not exactly prone to rear tire roasting. Plus I always roll the throttle on slowly when exiting the corner and was short shifting on 10 and 11 anyway. I did not think I had been any more agressive on the throttle than on my previous 40+ laps. I was probably on a tighter line (at the exit) than usual since I was trying to late-apex and drive underneath someone in front of me (*cough* *Dave* *cough* /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif ) to pass them on the front straight. Maybe the different line did it due to a bad spot on the track? I should have gone back and looked for my crash marks and looked closely at the corner.

BTW if anyone was wondering why I could not get the bike out of the crash zone the clutch and shifter were broke and the bike was in gear. I got the hell out of the crash zone until help showed up. It took three of us to get it out of the way finally by picking up the rear tire off of the ground. Kudos to the CMRA officials and the crash truck guys! We made it back into the pits very quickly.

Though it was a futile effort, special thanks to Jason Keene, Marcus McBain, and Ronnie Hay for lending us bike parts to try to get us back on the track. The response time from Jason and Marcus once the request went out was FAST! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

jroberts5407
05-16-2005, 01:40 PM
Well for the sake of the discussion I will provide my first hand account of one of those crashes.

I crashed exiting "turn 11" onto the front straight on Saturday about 1 hour 30 minutes into the race. I think everyone on pit road got a nice show at my expense. DOH! No damage to me though and the bike can be fixed.

Basically I believe I lowsided by spinning up the rear tire. The bike slid out from underneath me very gently. No highside thank goodness. I was not hurt at all, well not beyond my pride anyway. :p

This was on an SV-650 which is not exactly prone to rear tire roasting. Plus I always roll the throttle on slowly when exiting the corner and was short shifting on 10 and 11 anyway. I did not think I had been any more agressive on the throttle than on my previous 40+ laps. I was probably on a tighter line (at the exit) than usual since I was trying to late-apex and drive underneath someone in front of me (*cough* *Dave* *cough* /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif ) to pass them on the front straight. Maybe the different line did it due to a bad spot on the track? I should have gone back and looked for my crash marks and looked closely at the corner.

BTW if anyone was wondering why I could not get the bike out of the crash zone the clutch and shifter were broke and the bike was in gear. I got the hell out of the crash zone until help showed up. It took three of us to get it out of the way finally by picking up the rear tire off of the ground. Kudos to the CMRA officials and the crash truck guys! We made it back into the pits very quickly.

Though it was a futile effort, special thanks to Jason Keene, Marcus McBain, and Ronnie Hay for lending us bike parts to try to get us back on the track. The response time from Jason and Marcus once the request went out was FAST! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

Tony Wang
05-16-2005, 02:21 PM
John, I think I know which spot you're talking about. I had a nice little high side there several months ago during a Hallet MLD, and my back stepped out a bit in that same spot during Friday's practice...

Tony Wang
05-16-2005, 02:21 PM
John, I think I know which spot you're talking about. I had a nice little high side there several months ago during a Hallet MLD, and my back stepped out a bit in that same spot during Friday's practice...

Merry Burleson
05-16-2005, 02:28 PM
I personally saw 4...no I think 5 bikes go off the track infront of me... I cant believe that out of ALL those crashes, there wasnt a single red flag! thats awesome! way to tuck and roll guys! or...jump up and superman in Corys case... hee-hee

Merry Burleson
05-16-2005, 02:28 PM
I personally saw 4...no I think 5 bikes go off the track infront of me... I cant believe that out of ALL those crashes, there wasnt a single red flag! thats awesome! way to tuck and roll guys! or...jump up and superman in Corys case... hee-hee

05-16-2005, 03:11 PM
I also saw some great work throughout the weekend by the crash truck... one time in particular, a guy went down exiting the *****, and before we could even speculate as to the cause, *whoosh*! there's the crash truck scooping him up... great work!

05-16-2005, 03:11 PM
I also saw some great work throughout the weekend by the crash truck... one time in particular, a guy went down exiting the *****, and before we could even speculate as to the cause, *whoosh*! there's the crash truck scooping him up... great work!

Jonathan Wright
05-16-2005, 03:45 PM
I noticed one time when I walked the track that in the middle of the last turn there by the pits (Horse shoe?) there is a little dip in the middle.

Easy spot for the rear tire to lose traction and spin up methinks.

But Hallett didn't seem at ALL to match the carnage that was MSR last time. Red flags during practice? In SSC Nov there were bikes down in almost every corner.

Plus I gotta second the "Kudos" to the tow truck guys. Our team had two (count 'em!) pulls from the side of the track to the pits...and they hauled butt! I joked that if they got paid by the trip they were probably doing all right.

/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Jonathan Wright
05-16-2005, 03:45 PM
I noticed one time when I walked the track that in the middle of the last turn there by the pits (Horse shoe?) there is a little dip in the middle.

Easy spot for the rear tire to lose traction and spin up methinks.

But Hallett didn't seem at ALL to match the carnage that was MSR last time. Red flags during practice? In SSC Nov there were bikes down in almost every corner.

Plus I gotta second the "Kudos" to the tow truck guys. Our team had two (count 'em!) pulls from the side of the track to the pits...and they hauled butt! I joked that if they got paid by the trip they were probably doing all right.

/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

jroberts5407
05-16-2005, 05:20 PM
Interesting comments Tony and Jonathan about turn 11. Now that I think about it, while I was standing in the pits later on in the race I was watching the turn exit for one of our riders. I happened to see someone nearly highside while exiting the turn. Their back end wiggled violently at least twice and they got close to the edge of the track. It was a nice save on their part.

Note to self: be more careful in turn 11! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

jroberts5407
05-16-2005, 05:20 PM
Interesting comments Tony and Jonathan about turn 11. Now that I think about it, while I was standing in the pits later on in the race I was watching the turn exit for one of our riders. I happened to see someone nearly highside while exiting the turn. Their back end wiggled violently at least twice and they got close to the edge of the track. It was a nice save on their part.

Note to self: be more careful in turn 11! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

Jason Keene
05-16-2005, 05:36 PM
John, any time anyone in club needs something and I can help....

well, that's what family does....

now get off the computer and put that bike together... I need someone to chase at Cresson.

Jason Keene
05-16-2005, 05:36 PM
John, any time anyone in club needs something and I can help....

well, that's what family does....

now get off the computer and put that bike together... I need someone to chase at Cresson.

Jonathan Wright
05-17-2005, 11:20 AM
<- is emphasizing the track walks with Scot Levine

Jonathan Wright
05-17-2005, 11:20 AM
<- is emphasizing the track walks with Scot Levine

Alan Tan
05-17-2005, 11:41 AM
I would like to thank GOD for not letting me get relly hurt bad from that big highside on turn 11 !!

Alan Tan
05-17-2005, 11:41 AM
I would like to thank GOD for not letting me get relly hurt bad from that big highside on turn 11 !!

Jonathan Wright
05-17-2005, 01:02 PM
Why, yes, Alan. You still have a lot of fluffing left to do for Pierson's movie! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Jonathan Wright
05-17-2005, 01:02 PM
Why, yes, Alan. You still have a lot of fluffing left to do for Pierson's movie! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Keith Hertell
05-17-2005, 01:49 PM
The crash truck driver was GREAT, except for the 2 times I saw him cross the track in fron of some bikes. Once that was in front of me going up the hill out of T1. Very strange feeling seeing him pull in front of me onto the track then drive ON the track for a few feet before getting off again.

Keith Hertell
05-17-2005, 01:49 PM
The crash truck driver was GREAT, except for the 2 times I saw him cross the track in fron of some bikes. Once that was in front of me going up the hill out of T1. Very strange feeling seeing him pull in front of me onto the track then drive ON the track for a few feet before getting off again.

Jonathan Wright
05-17-2005, 03:11 PM
Maybe I was on the trailer at the time...close to the end of the race my bike quit on the OUTSIDE of turn 1 - not a good place to be.

But yeah, I was a little antsy while he drove down the track because he was HAULIN' and I needed to keep the bike on the trailer.

I really didn't want to look to see if anyone (perhaps you!) were coming over the hill!

Jonathan Wright
05-17-2005, 03:11 PM
Maybe I was on the trailer at the time...close to the end of the race my bike quit on the OUTSIDE of turn 1 - not a good place to be.

But yeah, I was a little antsy while he drove down the track because he was HAULIN' and I needed to keep the bike on the trailer.

I really didn't want to look to see if anyone (perhaps you!) were coming over the hill!

Ara Tidwell
05-18-2005, 05:20 AM
It was awesome having such a responsive crash truck, but I thought some of his driving was extremly dangerous, driving through the runoff area seeming to come out of nowhere. Perhaps this is an issue that needs to be addressed. I know a yellow flag means caution, but it doesn't usually mean you risk getting run over by a large tow truck.

Ara Tidwell
05-18-2005, 05:20 AM
It was awesome having such a responsive crash truck, but I thought some of his driving was extremly dangerous, driving through the runoff area seeming to come out of nowhere. Perhaps this is an issue that needs to be addressed. I know a yellow flag means caution, but it doesn't usually mean you risk getting run over by a large tow truck.

jroberts5407
05-18-2005, 03:40 PM
Hey Jason, thanks. If you are chasing me at Cresson like you say, I'll probably be on a different bike. Unfortunately the 'tiger teeth' curbing did a real number on Tom's bike when I crashed. The damage is worse than what a normal low side would do. He may not have it ready again for Cresson, and my repair bill is going to be expensive. Cha-CHING! :p

Oh well.. Right up until the time I crashed I was having a fantastic time racing with all of you great racers. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

There is something about Hallett alright. Last year when we raced endurance at Hallett, one of my team members did the now infamous back flip on the starting line. Then we fixed the bike, only to have another team member low side it from a questinable manouver in front of him. Then we fix the bike again, then the engine blows up before the end of the race. Curse you Hallett! CURSE YOU!! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

jroberts5407
05-18-2005, 03:40 PM
Hey Jason, thanks. If you are chasing me at Cresson like you say, I'll probably be on a different bike. Unfortunately the 'tiger teeth' curbing did a real number on Tom's bike when I crashed. The damage is worse than what a normal low side would do. He may not have it ready again for Cresson, and my repair bill is going to be expensive. Cha-CHING! :p

Oh well.. Right up until the time I crashed I was having a fantastic time racing with all of you great racers. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

There is something about Hallett alright. Last year when we raced endurance at Hallett, one of my team members did the now infamous back flip on the starting line. Then we fixed the bike, only to have another team member low side it from a questinable manouver in front of him. Then we fix the bike again, then the engine blows up before the end of the race. Curse you Hallett! CURSE YOU!! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Jason Keene
05-18-2005, 03:45 PM
that apron was a trip... I noticed that it is individual sections that make up the whole... When I walked the track on Thursday I was telling my teamates... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif we better stay clear...

Jason Keene
05-18-2005, 03:45 PM
that apron was a trip... I noticed that it is individual sections that make up the whole... When I walked the track on Thursday I was telling my teamates... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif we better stay clear...