PDA

View Full Version : mechanically ignorant

Christopher Corder
07-30-2007, 08:54 PM
Need a little help here. This probably belongs in tech but I think it will get a quicker response here.

I have some crash damage that I am not sure how to fix. I know what to do about the expansion chamber but the snapped off stand spool is puzzling. How do I get the screw that is left in there out? Any help is appreciated.

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/6153/bobbindi7.jpg

Christopher Corder
07-30-2007, 08:54 PM
Need a little help here. This probably belongs in tech but I think it will get a quicker response here.

I have some crash damage that I am not sure how to fix. I know what to do about the expansion chamber but the snapped off stand spool is puzzling. How do I get the screw that is left in there out? Any help is appreciated.

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/6153/bobbindi7.jpg

John Hutchinson
07-30-2007, 09:05 PM
Drill it and use a easy-out

John Hutchinson
07-30-2007, 09:05 PM
Drill it and use a easy-out

jus10
07-30-2007, 09:17 PM
I could take care of that for ya. It'll cost ya though /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

jus10
07-30-2007, 09:17 PM
I could take care of that for ya. It'll cost ya though /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Justin Molet
07-30-2007, 11:16 PM
i'd just say to grind/file it flat, center punch it, and drill it out a little undersize, hopefully an easy out will take care of it and you will save the old threads. if not, just helicoil it and you should be fine, its not really a high stress bolt.

Justin Molet
07-30-2007, 11:16 PM
i'd just say to grind/file it flat, center punch it, and drill it out a little undersize, hopefully an easy out will take care of it and you will save the old threads. if not, just helicoil it and you should be fine, its not really a high stress bolt.

Roger Albert
07-30-2007, 11:37 PM
Yup, that sounds right.
If you use a left hand drill bit, it will be easier still. In fact, it will often come out during drilling, and you get to skip the EZout all together (which is nice, since on the occasions when they break, things get much more difficult, fast)

Roger Albert
07-30-2007, 11:37 PM
Yup, that sounds right.
If you use a left hand drill bit, it will be easier still. In fact, it will often come out during drilling, and you get to skip the EZout all together (which is nice, since on the occasions when they break, things get much more difficult, fast)

Christopher Corder
07-31-2007, 11:18 AM
now to the pipe. Before I send this off to Cali, does anybody know of a local (TX) person who can fix this dent? These are $2000 pipes so replacement isnt going to happen. Any help is appreciated.

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/652/chamberls0.jpg

Christopher Corder
07-31-2007, 11:18 AM
now to the pipe. Before I send this off to Cali, does anybody know of a local (TX) person who can fix this dent? These are $2000 pipes so replacement isnt going to happen. Any help is appreciated.

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/652/chamberls0.jpg

SAM ROMEO
07-31-2007, 11:49 AM
Use a left handed drill bit. make sure too use a center punch to get the hole centered. you may even want to file or grind the top surface just a bit so the bolt will come out smoothly and not catch on a sliver of aluminum at the surface.
good luck

SAM ROMEO
07-31-2007, 11:49 AM
Use a left handed drill bit. make sure too use a center punch to get the hole centered. you may even want to file or grind the top surface just a bit so the bolt will come out smoothly and not catch on a sliver of aluminum at the surface.
good luck

Ronnie Hay
07-31-2007, 12:07 PM
About the expansion chamber, you are going to laugh but...

1. remove from bike
2. fill with water
3. place in freezer

I read it here: expansion chamber repair (http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=523612&highlight=freezing+pipes)

--
Ronnie

Ronnie Hay
07-31-2007, 12:07 PM
About the expansion chamber, you are going to laugh but...

1. remove from bike
2. fill with water
3. place in freezer

I read it here: expansion chamber repair (http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=523612&highlight=freezing+pipes)

--
Ronnie

Christopher Corder
07-31-2007, 02:54 PM
Thanks Ronnie but those repairs are all on mid or down pipes and not expansion chambers. Plus the $2000 price tag on the pipes makes me nervous about a frozen water fix. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif They are hand made by a limey pipe guru.

http://www.jollymoto.nl/2stroke_pleasure.htm?jl_factory.asp~TsMain

Christopher Corder
07-31-2007, 02:54 PM
Thanks Ronnie but those repairs are all on mid or down pipes and not expansion chambers. Plus the $2000 price tag on the pipes makes me nervous about a frozen water fix. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif They are hand made by a limey pipe guru.

http://www.jollymoto.nl/2stroke_pleasure.htm?jl_factory.asp~TsMain

Todd Gyure
07-31-2007, 06:00 PM
Bet a Welder I use in Garland can fix that expansion chamber. Ill get the number and post it. He will have to see the expansion chamber to decide of course. Front fender good or will my freebe be put in service?

Todd Gyure
07-31-2007, 06:00 PM
Bet a Welder I use in Garland can fix that expansion chamber. Ill get the number and post it. He will have to see the expansion chamber to decide of course. Front fender good or will my freebe be put in service?

Justin Molet
07-31-2007, 06:17 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Todd E. Gyure:
Bet a Welder I use in Garland can fix that expansion chamber. Ill get the number and post it. He will have to see the expansion chamber to decide of course. </div></div>who is it? i'm gonna need a bunch of aluminum welded up soon and might use a different place than i'm using now.

Justin Molet
07-31-2007, 06:17 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Todd E. Gyure:
Bet a Welder I use in Garland can fix that expansion chamber. Ill get the number and post it. He will have to see the expansion chamber to decide of course. </div></div>who is it? i'm gonna need a bunch of aluminum welded up soon and might use a different place than i'm using now.

Christopher Corder
07-31-2007, 08:44 PM
Todd,

I am going to run the silver bodywork, with your freebie fender, at the next race. The red stuff needs a little Michael Patterson love.

Christopher Corder
07-31-2007, 08:44 PM
Todd,

I am going to run the silver bodywork, with your freebie fender, at the next race. The red stuff needs a little Michael Patterson love.

Todd Gyure
07-31-2007, 08:53 PM
Im at wrk till 10pm, but I will get the number after that an post it. Been using this welder for past 3 yrs after another welder I had been going to since '96 said he could not weld chrome moly (sp). Cant race a Duc and have a welder like that! AHAHAHAHAHA!

Chris what is that expansion chamber made of you so nicely squashed! I can prob swing by the welders shop (Its right by my wrk) weds and show him the pick you posted here and say 'fix that'?

Todd Gyure
07-31-2007, 08:53 PM
Im at wrk till 10pm, but I will get the number after that an post it. Been using this welder for past 3 yrs after another welder I had been going to since '96 said he could not weld chrome moly (sp). Cant race a Duc and have a welder like that! AHAHAHAHAHA!

Chris what is that expansion chamber made of you so nicely squashed! I can prob swing by the welders shop (Its right by my wrk) weds and show him the pick you posted here and say 'fix that'?

Christopher Corder
07-31-2007, 09:57 PM
Thanks so much Todd. It is made of stainless steel.

Its weird because if I lay the bike on its side the chamber does not touch the ground. I have no idea what could have put the dent in it. The only possibility I can think of is the rear set got between it and the ground and caused the dent.

Thanks again for all the help.

Christopher Corder
07-31-2007, 09:57 PM
Thanks so much Todd. It is made of stainless steel.

Its weird because if I lay the bike on its side the chamber does not touch the ground. I have no idea what could have put the dent in it. The only possibility I can think of is the rear set got between it and the ground and caused the dent.

Thanks again for all the help.

jus10
08-01-2007, 09:10 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by christophercorder325:
Its weird because if I lay the bike on its side the chamber does not touch the ground. I have no idea what could have put the dent in it. The only possibility I can think of is the rear set got between it and the ground and caused the dent. </div></div>Probably those big feet of yours, goofy! :p

jus10
08-01-2007, 09:10 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by christophercorder325:
Its weird because if I lay the bike on its side the chamber does not touch the ground. I have no idea what could have put the dent in it. The only possibility I can think of is the rear set got between it and the ground and caused the dent. </div></div>Probably those big feet of yours, goofy! :p

Michael Patterson
08-01-2007, 09:35 AM
I have fixed motocross pipes for years. Give me a call.

Michael Patterson
08-01-2007, 09:35 AM
I have fixed motocross pipes for years. Give me a call.

thenaked1
08-01-2007, 07:11 PM
Hey chris the dent looks somewhat similar to your helmet...hmmmm... I wonder /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

thenaked1
08-01-2007, 07:11 PM
Hey chris the dent looks somewhat similar to your helmet...hmmmm... I wonder /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif