PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Flags

Chris Headley
08-03-2007, 07:49 AM
Here is a reminder for those teams/individuals racing in the endurance race at Hallett recently that might have forgotten what yellow flags mean...

From the rulebook:

"Yellow Flag - A) When held stationary-indicates a potentially dangerous situation on or near the track or a slower moving motorcycle. B) When waved vigorously-indicates a hazard or obstacle on the track, avoidance maneuvers may be necessary. Exercise extreme caution, slow your speed until past the situation. Passing for position under a waving yellow flag is NOT allowed and the offending rider will be assessed a penalty."

The emphasis being on the waving yellow flag. NO PASSING while the corners show a waving yellow flag!

Chris Headley
08-03-2007, 07:49 AM
Here is a reminder for those teams/individuals racing in the endurance race at Hallett recently that might have forgotten what yellow flags mean...

From the rulebook:

"Yellow Flag - A) When held stationary-indicates a potentially dangerous situation on or near the track or a slower moving motorcycle. B) When waved vigorously-indicates a hazard or obstacle on the track, avoidance maneuvers may be necessary. Exercise extreme caution, slow your speed until past the situation. Passing for position under a waving yellow flag is NOT allowed and the offending rider will be assessed a penalty."

The emphasis being on the waving yellow flag. NO PASSING while the corners show a waving yellow flag!

Jason Keene
08-03-2007, 08:56 AM
I'm constantly amazed at how many people tune that out... I've even approached riders after a race and spoken to them about it...

I have yet to hear of a penalty being assesed. It should be reemphasized to the corner workers so the official know about it...

Jason Keene
08-03-2007, 08:56 AM
I'm constantly amazed at how many people tune that out... I've even approached riders after a race and spoken to them about it...

I have yet to hear of a penalty being assesed. It should be reemphasized to the corner workers so the official know about it...

Joseph McCamish
08-03-2007, 09:04 AM
when I was out there I saw 5-8 riders pass under waving yellow.

Joseph McCamish
08-03-2007, 09:04 AM
when I was out there I saw 5-8 riders pass under waving yellow.

Christopher Corder
08-03-2007, 09:35 AM
I did it.

Waving yellow from the bus stop through Everbodys Fav for over 8 laps combined with horribly slow big bike in front of me and my frustration took over.

Christopher Corder
08-03-2007, 09:35 AM
I did it.

Waving yellow from the bus stop through Everbodys Fav for over 8 laps combined with horribly slow big bike in front of me and my frustration took over.

Tim Chason
08-03-2007, 10:40 AM
I think alot of that comes from excited coner works. I have never seen a corner worker hold a yellow. They are allways waving them no matter what is going on. However that doesnt change the fact the rule states no passing under waving yellow. When in dought give it more gas /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif TIIIMMMMY

P.S.Live by the Throttle Die by the Throttle /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Has anybody seen my finger /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

Tim Chason
08-03-2007, 10:40 AM
I think alot of that comes from excited coner works. I have never seen a corner worker hold a yellow. They are allways waving them no matter what is going on. However that doesnt change the fact the rule states no passing under waving yellow. When in dought give it more gas /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif TIIIMMMMY

P.S.Live by the Throttle Die by the Throttle /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Has anybody seen my finger /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

Danny Clark
08-03-2007, 10:49 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Tim Chason:

Has anybody seen my finger /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif </div></div>I believe after the flooding it had relocated to T5.... it then proceeded to make me fall there in practice.... I almost left a finger there so it would have some company but I was just too attached to it. It's just about healed now... maybe by cresson. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Danny Clark
08-03-2007, 10:49 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Tim Chason:

Has anybody seen my finger /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif </div></div>I believe after the flooding it had relocated to T5.... it then proceeded to make me fall there in practice.... I almost left a finger there so it would have some company but I was just too attached to it. It's just about healed now... maybe by cresson. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Joseph Browning
08-03-2007, 12:22 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by christophercorder325:
I did it.
</div></div>Me too. I was fearful that a fairing might explode and take out half the pack behind me. Sorry.

Joseph Browning
08-03-2007, 12:22 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by christophercorder325:
I did it.
</div></div>Me too. I was fearful that a fairing might explode and take out half the pack behind me. Sorry.

mnellis
08-03-2007, 11:46 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: christophercorder325</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did it.

Waving yellow from the bus stop through Everbodys Fav for over 8 laps combined with horribly slow big bike in front of me and my frustration took over. </div></div>

I think I saw that move going into Everybodys Favorite. I also thought I saw the starter out there with a meatball flag. Did the meatball get thrown for that infraction?

mnellis
08-03-2007, 11:46 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: christophercorder325</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did it.

Waving yellow from the bus stop through Everbodys Fav for over 8 laps combined with horribly slow big bike in front of me and my frustration took over. </div></div>

I think I saw that move going into Everybodys Favorite. I also thought I saw the starter out there with a meatball flag. Did the meatball get thrown for that infraction?

Christopher Corder
08-03-2007, 11:56 PM
That is where I made the pass but I did not get meatballed.

Christopher Corder
08-03-2007, 11:56 PM
That is where I made the pass but I did not get meatballed.

Josh Henke
07-11-2011, 11:23 AM
I encountered my first situation with a waving yellow and a potential to pass this weekend. Coming up to T1 at Hallett, I was closing fast on someone from a different class (same race) and moved to the inside. I didn't notice the flag was being waved until I was nearly past him and, since I was aiming for my first win ever, I didn't want to get penalized. Hammered the brakes and let him stay ahead while 2nd place made a good couple seconds on me, nearly costing me the race.

By the book, what type of leniency *should* be shown had I passed this guy?

Sean Gurevich
07-11-2011, 11:50 AM
It's all fun and games until a flying bike clobbers a crashed bike, downed rider, or worse yet cornerworker.

Jesse Davis
07-11-2011, 11:53 AM
this thread is 4 years old!

Jesse Davis
07-11-2011, 11:55 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Josh Henke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I encountered my first situation with a waving yellow and a potential to pass this weekend. Coming up to T1 at Hallett, I was closing fast on someone from a different class (same race) and moved to the inside. I didn't notice the flag was being waved until I was nearly past him and, since I was aiming for my first win ever, I didn't want to get penalized. Hammered the brakes and let him stay ahead while 2nd place made a good couple seconds on me, nearly costing me the race.

By the book, what type of leniency *should* be shown had I passed this guy? </div></div>

Leniency? the rules are not adjustable dude. If you had made the pass, and gotten busted, you *should* have been shown no mercy. You made the right decision, and that's racing.

Roger Albert
07-11-2011, 12:15 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">By the book, what type of leniency *should* be shown had I passed this guy? </div></div>

By the book, none, by definition, and pretty obviously.
Besides the safety concerns for which the rule is designed, you don't know absolutely for sure that the reason you'd have been able to pass right there was because the other guy had seen the flag and had appropriately slowed. You did the right thing.

Josh Henke
07-11-2011, 12:40 PM
&quot;Leniency by the book&quot; merely sought the intent of the rule. I was considering something like cops busting people for going 1 MPH over when that's not really with the intent of the law. Perhaps I should have asked at what point is one passing under a waving yellow? If I can see from T10 the flag waving at T1, should I kill my drive out of that turn and cruise behind a ProvNov who's just trying to get rid of their shirt by running 2:00 laps there?

Tom Anderson
07-11-2011, 01:30 PM
Don't over analyze it. Don't pass, its the rule. Don't pass anyone.

Chris Randle
07-11-2011, 01:34 PM
How in the world did you find this thread? LOL!
Where is Tim Chason these days anyway?

I agree that you did the right thing Josh. It sucks, but you did good. It's not worth the risk of causing an even bigger issue. Control has the cornerworkers wave the yellow flag for our safety and the down rider(s). Respect that.
Chris Corder used have a bad issue with patience. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif

Chris Fields
07-11-2011, 04:26 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Josh Henke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I can see from T10 the flag waving at T1, should I kill my drive out of that turn and cruise behind a ProvNov who's just trying to get rid of their shirt by running 2:00 laps there? </div></div>

Flags are called for at the corners of or before an incident. So if there is a waving yellow at turn one, you may see a standing yellow displayed at the flag tower on the front straight.

For the scenario you've laid out, you are allowed to pass on the straight. But you need to have completed your pass ahead of turn one. So if it's close to turn one, don't try it. This is not like going through an intersection if the light is yellow, or starting a pass on a two lane county road just before a double yellow starts. If you can get around early on the straight and back in line before turn one in a safe and controlled manner, you're golden.

You of course should use caution when approaching or passing others under yellow conditions since it is possible some riders may slow suddenly and expectantly at the sight of a yellow flag well before they get to the actual incident. You should also pay close attention to what others are doing as they get to the incident as well. They may actually slow up more than expected. Believe it or not people will actually rubber neck on a race track too!