PDA

View Full Version : SV air filter and re-jet

E. Templet
09-05-2002, 02:04 AM
After doing some research I found that modifying the stock air filter produces a significant advantage in air flow. I purchased a K&N for the bike and was wondering which is the preferred filter method. I wouldn't desnorkel the K&N I'm just wondering.

I have replaced the stock jets with 145s and will re-shim the needles and drill the slide. I have read recommendations on 152.5 mains and pilot jet replacement with a 17.5, which I have not done. Is this necessary?

I guess I'll figure most of this stuff out when we get to the dyno, but I'd rather get it right/close the first time. It would miff my tuner/drag race buddy big time. He he. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif I seem to derive a fair amount of enjoyment from those situations.

My bike was pretty sick at TWS. I couldn't get over 9600RPM down the front straight running 15/47 gears. I felt like I was back on the F3 or worse yet....my SV powered R6. Let's not get into that. Happy thoughts, go to my happy place...that's better. :rolleyes:

E. Templet
09-05-2002, 02:04 AM
After doing some research I found that modifying the stock air filter produces a significant advantage in air flow. I purchased a K&N for the bike and was wondering which is the preferred filter method. I wouldn't desnorkel the K&N I'm just wondering.

I have replaced the stock jets with 145s and will re-shim the needles and drill the slide. I have read recommendations on 152.5 mains and pilot jet replacement with a 17.5, which I have not done. Is this necessary?

I guess I'll figure most of this stuff out when we get to the dyno, but I'd rather get it right/close the first time. It would miff my tuner/drag race buddy big time. He he. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif I seem to derive a fair amount of enjoyment from those situations.

My bike was pretty sick at TWS. I couldn't get over 9600RPM down the front straight running 15/47 gears. I felt like I was back on the F3 or worse yet....my SV powered R6. Let's not get into that. Happy thoughts, go to my happy place...that's better. :rolleyes:

Eric Kelcher
09-05-2002, 09:54 AM
Gene just a note if you intend to run SS, air box/filters mods are not allowed and the K&N air filter is not SS legal.
I can't help on the jetting.

Eric Kelcher
09-05-2002, 09:54 AM
Gene just a note if you intend to run SS, air box/filters mods are not allowed and the K&N air filter is not SS legal.
I can't help on the jetting.

waytooslow
09-05-2002, 12:46 PM
Eric... are you sure about the K&N?

from rule book 6.1.2-D states:
"Original equipment air box must remain as produced. Air filters must be used but may be
Aftermarket units. Aftermarket air filters are restricted to units available via normal
commercial channels and designed for that specific model machine. Aftermarket air filter
units that replace part of the O.E.M. airbox are required to maintain the original size and
number of air inlet openings as the stock unit."

of course I could be wrong, I have been before.. once...

Scott

waytooslow
09-05-2002, 12:46 PM
Eric... are you sure about the K&N?

from rule book 6.1.2-D states:
"Original equipment air box must remain as produced. Air filters must be used but may be
Aftermarket units. Aftermarket air filters are restricted to units available via normal
commercial channels and designed for that specific model machine. Aftermarket air filter
units that replace part of the O.E.M. airbox are required to maintain the original size and
number of air inlet openings as the stock unit."

of course I could be wrong, I have been before.. once...

Scott

Chris Thomas
09-05-2002, 12:50 PM
I may be wrong but I believe the inlet size and design are different on the K&N than stock...

Chris Thomas
09-05-2002, 12:50 PM
I may be wrong but I believe the inlet size and design are different on the K&N than stock...

waytooslow
09-05-2002, 02:02 PM
Maybe on that model, but on my f2 it is hard to tell the diff, if any. On the 1100xx, they are identical, just soft rubber vs abs... guess the rule leaves some questions to be answered. I would think that it would be good to allow K&N, less air filters out there in landfills...

IMHO
Scott

waytooslow
09-05-2002, 02:02 PM
Maybe on that model, but on my f2 it is hard to tell the diff, if any. On the 1100xx, they are identical, just soft rubber vs abs... guess the rule leaves some questions to be answered. I would think that it would be good to allow K&N, less air filters out there in landfills...

IMHO
Scott

Eric Kelcher
09-05-2002, 02:47 PM
The inlet size for the SVIS the issue and why it is not legal.

Eric Kelcher
09-05-2002, 02:47 PM
The inlet size for the SVIS the issue and why it is not legal.

waytooslow
09-05-2002, 04:23 PM
ahhh.. well thanks

on top of it as usual.

scott

waytooslow
09-05-2002, 04:23 PM
ahhh.. well thanks

on top of it as usual.

scott

E. Templet
09-07-2002, 10:40 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Eric Kelcher:
The inlet size for the SVIS the issue and why it is not legal.</div></div>The main reason for post was that the inlet size of the K&N looked to be nearly the same as stock...after a very quick look I might add. I will measure the difference in the opening size, for informational purposes only and not for arguments sake.

Thanks Eric.

E. Templet
09-07-2002, 10:40 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Eric Kelcher:
The inlet size for the SVIS the issue and why it is not legal.</div></div>The main reason for post was that the inlet size of the K&N looked to be nearly the same as stock...after a very quick look I might add. I will measure the difference in the opening size, for informational purposes only and not for arguments sake.

Thanks Eric.

E. Templet
09-08-2002, 10:19 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by E. Templet:

Thanks Eric.</div></div>The K&N filter opening is a good bit larger than stock (3/8 of an inch or so). After unwrapping the filter /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif , the difference is easily visible.

As if Eric didn't already know that. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

E. Templet
09-08-2002, 10:19 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by E. Templet:

Thanks Eric.</div></div>The K&N filter opening is a good bit larger than stock (3/8 of an inch or so). After unwrapping the filter /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif , the difference is easily visible.

As if Eric didn't already know that. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

E. Templet
09-14-2002, 02:07 PM
I finally had time to finish up on the SV carbs. Man were they off! Muhhaahaahaa!! Delmar's got his party dress on.

Now if I only had a rear shock. Oh well, that'll be in the off-season.

Neck jerkin', gut wrenchin', frame twistin' torque. I'm still grinnin' after my test ride.

E. Templet
09-14-2002, 02:07 PM
I finally had time to finish up on the SV carbs. Man were they off! Muhhaahaahaa!! Delmar's got his party dress on.

Now if I only had a rear shock. Oh well, that'll be in the off-season.

Neck jerkin', gut wrenchin', frame twistin' torque. I'm still grinnin' after my test ride.