PDA

View Full Version : rear wheel allignment

louie lou
11-25-2002, 06:52 PM
was wondering, if anyone knows of a better way to allign the rear wheel straight with the front wheel, without using the stock markings on the rear swingarm. i herd the stock swingarm markings don't work well.

thanks luis

louie lou
11-25-2002, 06:52 PM
was wondering, if anyone knows of a better way to allign the rear wheel straight with the front wheel, without using the stock markings on the rear swingarm. i herd the stock swingarm markings don't work well.

thanks luis

Eric Kelcher
11-25-2002, 10:06 PM
Two methods both real similar.
Take two 4 foot known straight edges (level or steel plate) or use string pulled tight.

place one on each side of the front tire 1" inch from the tire (be sure tire is fully seated on the bead). you will then have to adjust the front end to line up with rear. measure the distance from string or straight edge to the edge of rear tire on each side when you have the front end straight the rear will show to be off a little use the chain adjusters to set and remark one side to refernce the other. I always left chain side with factory markings and remarked the brake side.

Takes about hour- 1 1/2 hours by yourself about 30 minutes with a helper.

Eric Kelcher
11-25-2002, 10:06 PM
Two methods both real similar.
Take two 4 foot known straight edges (level or steel plate) or use string pulled tight.

place one on each side of the front tire 1" inch from the tire (be sure tire is fully seated on the bead). you will then have to adjust the front end to line up with rear. measure the distance from string or straight edge to the edge of rear tire on each side when you have the front end straight the rear will show to be off a little use the chain adjusters to set and remark one side to refernce the other. I always left chain side with factory markings and remarked the brake side.

Takes about hour- 1 1/2 hours by yourself about 30 minutes with a helper.

louie lou
11-25-2002, 11:44 PM
thanks ERIC, for the info. i'm going to buy the beads, and see if i can apply what you said. i'm not fully understanding everything you told me, but maybe when i get the beads it will make it more clearer.

thanks

louie lou
11-25-2002, 11:44 PM
thanks ERIC, for the info. i'm going to buy the beads, and see if i can apply what you said. i'm not fully understanding everything you told me, but maybe when i get the beads it will make it more clearer.

thanks

ysr612
11-26-2002, 05:57 AM
the bead he is talking about is the sealing part of the tire. If the tire is not sealed right it is twisted on the rim and nothing you can do will give you a good alinement.

ysr612
11-26-2002, 05:57 AM
the bead he is talking about is the sealing part of the tire. If the tire is not sealed right it is twisted on the rim and nothing you can do will give you a good alinement.