PDA

View Full Version : Changing Tyres

Michael D. Henry
01-22-2003, 09:11 AM
Anyone have a good idea on how to break the bead on the side of the road? I changed my tire out yesterday by hand, breaking the bead was a ***** (even when using a big prybar, big hammer, and assorted punches)
I try to use only my tools that I carry with me to do repairs to try and be prepared for anything that might come up on the side of the road. Changing a tire is a good possibility. Any ideas? Thanks, Mike

Michael D. Henry
01-22-2003, 09:11 AM
Anyone have a good idea on how to break the bead on the side of the road? I changed my tire out yesterday by hand, breaking the bead was a ***** (even when using a big prybar, big hammer, and assorted punches)
I try to use only my tools that I carry with me to do repairs to try and be prepared for anything that might come up on the side of the road. Changing a tire is a good possibility. Any ideas? Thanks, Mike

ysr612
01-22-2003, 10:27 AM
I have a thing that looks like a giant pliers that works ok I take to enduros. they also sell something that looks like a c-clamp. But on the road I use my cell phone to change a tire.

ysr612
01-22-2003, 10:27 AM
I have a thing that looks like a giant pliers that works ok I take to enduros. they also sell something that looks like a c-clamp. But on the road I use my cell phone to change a tire.

Greg Williams
01-29-2003, 04:07 PM
If you're traveling with another rider you can remove the wheel, place the tire sidewall under the extended sidestand of your friend's bike and lean the bike over to break the bead. It works better than it sounds! The big thing to watch for is to avoid any damage to your brake rotors.

Greg Williams
01-29-2003, 04:07 PM
If you're traveling with another rider you can remove the wheel, place the tire sidewall under the extended sidestand of your friend's bike and lean the bike over to break the bead. It works better than it sounds! The big thing to watch for is to avoid any damage to your brake rotors.

ysr612
01-29-2003, 07:53 PM
the other thing can get you to the nearest town is a radial tire plug not to be taken over 50mph not to be used on motorcycle tires. It does work. You are taking your life in your hands. I have never had any problems with them.

ysr612
01-29-2003, 07:53 PM
the other thing can get you to the nearest town is a radial tire plug not to be taken over 50mph not to be used on motorcycle tires. It does work. You are taking your life in your hands. I have never had any problems with them.