PDA

View Full Version : SV650 Gearing

Dirk Anderson
02-27-2003, 09:35 AM
Does anyone have any suggestions for gearing on a SV650 at all of the tracks? Thanks.

Dirk Anderson
02-27-2003, 09:35 AM
Does anyone have any suggestions for gearing on a SV650 at all of the tracks? Thanks.

SMILEYMAN
02-27-2003, 12:56 PM
Dirk, I run 14/47 at Oak Hill, Hallett, and 14/46 or 47 at Cresson. For TWS I run 15/46. But some riders do well with 15/45 at all the tracks so what do I know? Get yourself a gearing chart from the street and competition website and just 'speriment till it feel good! (hint...try and gear for top RPM on the longest straight in 6th gear or max torque in 2nd gear of the slowest corner) Smiley

SMILEYMAN
02-27-2003, 12:56 PM
Dirk, I run 14/47 at Oak Hill, Hallett, and 14/46 or 47 at Cresson. For TWS I run 15/46. But some riders do well with 15/45 at all the tracks so what do I know? Get yourself a gearing chart from the street and competition website and just 'speriment till it feel good! (hint...try and gear for top RPM on the longest straight in 6th gear or max torque in 2nd gear of the slowest corner) Smiley

jonlampert
02-27-2003, 06:33 PM
There was a post started back in December about this already. Here is what was said in that post:

C Smiley:
"I know of a couple guys who turned fast times at all the tracks with stock gearing (15,45), Fast to me at least. I ran 15/46 at TWS, and 14/47 at the short tracks. Cresson can easily use a 14/46 in some conditions. Like all gearing, your results may vary"

By R Desmond:
"TWS is pretty straightforward, 16X49 (or 15x46, same diff) give or take a tooth for wind. MSR I always used 14x48. Hallett and OH I use 14x49 but some people use much taller gearing, like 15x44. I'm using 3-6th gears, they're using 2-5th. A lot depends on your corner speed."

jonlampert
02-27-2003, 06:33 PM
There was a post started back in December about this already. Here is what was said in that post:

C Smiley:
"I know of a couple guys who turned fast times at all the tracks with stock gearing (15,45), Fast to me at least. I ran 15/46 at TWS, and 14/47 at the short tracks. Cresson can easily use a 14/46 in some conditions. Like all gearing, your results may vary"

By R Desmond:
"TWS is pretty straightforward, 16X49 (or 15x46, same diff) give or take a tooth for wind. MSR I always used 14x48. Hallett and OH I use 14x49 but some people use much taller gearing, like 15x44. I'm using 3-6th gears, they're using 2-5th. A lot depends on your corner speed."

jonlampert
02-27-2003, 07:18 PM
Here's my take on gearing. Like Chris said "try and gear for top RPM on the longest straight..." This wont necessarily be in top gear, though. It depends on the track and how you would like to gear the bike. My only experience with gearing thus far has been at Oak Hill. At a track day before last weekend's race, with stock gearing (15-45), I was almost hitting the rev limiter in 4th gear on the straight between turns 1 and 2. I was hitting the rev limiter in 3rd gear between turns 3 and 4. For the whole track I was only using 3rd and 4th gear. Based on that info I decided to gear up a bit. I intended to try 15-44 but ended up with 16-47 because the vendor didn't have a 15 tooth sprocket. The ratio for both of these combinations is the same, though. Anyway, this definitely helped out and I was no longer hitting the rev limiter.

There was a problem with this setup, though. Coming out of turns 7 and 8, the RPM was too low. It wasn't quite low enough to warrant a downshift, though. Especially since the ratio drop from 3rd to 2nd is fairly significant. The solution is to use three gears throughout the track and change gearing again. If you go with what Chris said and use 14-47 you'll be able to use gears 3-4-5. The overall gear ratio in 5th will be just a touch taller (3.23 vs 3.30) than the 15-44 in 4th, which is probably good since I was still revving the engine out to about 10,000 RPM. The overall gear ratio in 3rd would be a little shorter (4.63 vs 4.05) than the 15-44 in 3rd which will help accelerating out of turns 7 and 8 (note that the 15-44 in 2nd would be 5.22; probably way too short).

So, if you're not that good at shifting you could stick with the 15-44 and only use 2 gears. If you want more optimal (better) acceleration and can handle the extra shifting, go with the 14-47. Of course, this all can be different for different (faster or slower) riders. I'll be trying a 16-49 at TWS. This is equivalent to Chris's suggestion of 15-46.

I'll let you know what I find out. I may converge on the same gearing Chris has, but I want to try my own stuff first.

jonlampert
02-27-2003, 07:18 PM
Here's my take on gearing. Like Chris said "try and gear for top RPM on the longest straight..." This wont necessarily be in top gear, though. It depends on the track and how you would like to gear the bike. My only experience with gearing thus far has been at Oak Hill. At a track day before last weekend's race, with stock gearing (15-45), I was almost hitting the rev limiter in 4th gear on the straight between turns 1 and 2. I was hitting the rev limiter in 3rd gear between turns 3 and 4. For the whole track I was only using 3rd and 4th gear. Based on that info I decided to gear up a bit. I intended to try 15-44 but ended up with 16-47 because the vendor didn't have a 15 tooth sprocket. The ratio for both of these combinations is the same, though. Anyway, this definitely helped out and I was no longer hitting the rev limiter.

There was a problem with this setup, though. Coming out of turns 7 and 8, the RPM was too low. It wasn't quite low enough to warrant a downshift, though. Especially since the ratio drop from 3rd to 2nd is fairly significant. The solution is to use three gears throughout the track and change gearing again. If you go with what Chris said and use 14-47 you'll be able to use gears 3-4-5. The overall gear ratio in 5th will be just a touch taller (3.23 vs 3.30) than the 15-44 in 4th, which is probably good since I was still revving the engine out to about 10,000 RPM. The overall gear ratio in 3rd would be a little shorter (4.63 vs 4.05) than the 15-44 in 3rd which will help accelerating out of turns 7 and 8 (note that the 15-44 in 2nd would be 5.22; probably way too short).

So, if you're not that good at shifting you could stick with the 15-44 and only use 2 gears. If you want more optimal (better) acceleration and can handle the extra shifting, go with the 14-47. Of course, this all can be different for different (faster or slower) riders. I'll be trying a 16-49 at TWS. This is equivalent to Chris's suggestion of 15-46.

I'll let you know what I find out. I may converge on the same gearing Chris has, but I want to try my own stuff first.