PDA

View Full Version : XR100 Wheel Question

hawker
03-29-2003, 09:16 PM
Is it possible to wire up an XR100 rear rim to an XR front hub? Looking to expand my tire selection.

hawker
03-29-2003, 09:16 PM
Is it possible to wire up an XR100 rear rim to an XR front hub? Looking to expand my tire selection.

d_alexand
03-30-2003, 01:21 AM
I think the front & rear have a different number of spokes, so you'd need to buy a wider rim to lace to the front hub.

d_alexand
03-30-2003, 01:21 AM
I think the front & rear have a different number of spokes, so you'd need to buy a wider rim to lace to the front hub.

Jack Giesecke
03-30-2003, 07:15 PM
Mark, have you looked at the Avon 90x90/19 race compound AM20? I haven't ridden on it yet, but it's REAL gooy. I ain't changing the front, myself. I now have another set of hubs and might put 17s on them eventually, but I'm thinking I'll eventually have to do a CR80 front conversion for the disc brake.

Jack Giesecke
03-30-2003, 07:15 PM
Mark, have you looked at the Avon 90x90/19 race compound AM20? I haven't ridden on it yet, but it's REAL gooy. I ain't changing the front, myself. I now have another set of hubs and might put 17s on them eventually, but I'm thinking I'll eventually have to do a CR80 front conversion for the disc brake.

d_alexand
03-31-2003, 11:04 AM
I checked my yz80, and it has the same number of spokes from front to back, so it may be possible to use another rear rim for the front.

Now that raises another question... I have a mid '80's XR200 with a blown motor, it has a 17 inch rear with 36 spokes. My yz80 also has 36 spokes, so now I'm curious to know whether I could lace a 17 inch Honda rim to a Yamaha hub? It definitely won't look as cool as the black anodized Excel's but it'll work. I'll contact Bichanan and find out... if it doesn't fit my 80, then it may fit a xr100 but I'll find out.

d_alexand
03-31-2003, 11:04 AM
I checked my yz80, and it has the same number of spokes from front to back, so it may be possible to use another rear rim for the front.

Now that raises another question... I have a mid '80's XR200 with a blown motor, it has a 17 inch rear with 36 spokes. My yz80 also has 36 spokes, so now I'm curious to know whether I could lace a 17 inch Honda rim to a Yamaha hub? It definitely won't look as cool as the black anodized Excel's but it'll work. I'll contact Bichanan and find out... if it doesn't fit my 80, then it may fit a xr100 but I'll find out.

Derek Delpero
03-31-2003, 05:25 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Duane Alexander:
Now that raises another question... I have a mid '80's XR200 with a blown motor, it has a 17 inch rear with 36 spokes. My yz80 also has 36 spokes, so now I'm curious to know whether I could lace a 17 inch Honda rim to a Yamaha hub? It definitely won't look as cool as the black anodized Excel's but it'll work. I'll contact Bichanan and find out... if it doesn't fit my 80, then it may fit a xr100 but I'll find out.</div></div>It should work fine, a rim is a rim. The gotachas are going to be spoke length and spoke pattern.

For example, if the pattern of the hub is a cross 4 (each outer spoke crosses 4 inner spokes) and the rim was drilled for a cross 3, the holes in the dimples will be drilled at an angle specific to a cross 3 pattern. I'm told that as long as the spokes are tight and the wheel is trued, this should not be a structural problem. Asthetically, the spokes will bow and look kind of funky.

I just went through this while converting the TTR to an L model. I have the wheel laced but have not trued it. So I don't know how funky it is going to look.

As for spoke length, try http://www.buchananspokes.com They've got rims and spokes for every application. Just tell them what you are trying to convert to and from and they'll figure out what spokes you need.

The biggest thing I learned about lacing wheels last week, is to PAY ATTENTION to the spoke pattern BEFORE you disassemble the wheel! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

Unless of course you like re-inventing the wheel /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Do a search on the net for "wheel lacing". There is quite a bit of information out there.

Derek Delpero
03-31-2003, 05:25 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Duane Alexander:
Now that raises another question... I have a mid '80's XR200 with a blown motor, it has a 17 inch rear with 36 spokes. My yz80 also has 36 spokes, so now I'm curious to know whether I could lace a 17 inch Honda rim to a Yamaha hub? It definitely won't look as cool as the black anodized Excel's but it'll work. I'll contact Bichanan and find out... if it doesn't fit my 80, then it may fit a xr100 but I'll find out.</div></div>It should work fine, a rim is a rim. The gotachas are going to be spoke length and spoke pattern.

For example, if the pattern of the hub is a cross 4 (each outer spoke crosses 4 inner spokes) and the rim was drilled for a cross 3, the holes in the dimples will be drilled at an angle specific to a cross 3 pattern. I'm told that as long as the spokes are tight and the wheel is trued, this should not be a structural problem. Asthetically, the spokes will bow and look kind of funky.

I just went through this while converting the TTR to an L model. I have the wheel laced but have not trued it. So I don't know how funky it is going to look.

As for spoke length, try http://www.buchananspokes.com They've got rims and spokes for every application. Just tell them what you are trying to convert to and from and they'll figure out what spokes you need.

The biggest thing I learned about lacing wheels last week, is to PAY ATTENTION to the spoke pattern BEFORE you disassemble the wheel! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

Unless of course you like re-inventing the wheel /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Do a search on the net for "wheel lacing". There is quite a bit of information out there.

ysr612
04-02-2003, 12:55 PM
if you have access to a dig camera shoot a pic and keep it in front of you. the other way I have heard but not tried is to set the one rim on the other horz so you can loosen one set of spokes an put them in as you go.

ps hold the axel in a vice

ysr612
04-02-2003, 12:55 PM
if you have access to a dig camera shoot a pic and keep it in front of you. the other way I have heard but not tried is to set the one rim on the other horz so you can loosen one set of spokes an put them in as you go.

ps hold the axel in a vice

Derek Delpero
04-02-2003, 01:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Glen Weir, ysr612:

ps hold the axel in a vice</div></div>A good quality pic would definitly help. I'm not sure about a one spoke at a time lacing process. From what I've gathered, you pretty much have to lace the inners first, and to get to the inners on one wheel you have to take off the outers.

Also depending on the spoke pattern, you might not be able to remove a particular spoke with out removing a bunch of other spokes. For example on the TTR drum wheel, I could start lacing with only putting the inner spokes on the hub. After those were laced I could put the outers on the hub. On the disc hub, I couldn't do this and had to put all spokes in the hub before I started lacing.

With a cross "x" pattern it's relatively easy. You start off lacing every inner on every 4th hole. Then just remember how many spokes an outer has to cross and lace the outers accordingly.

But I've only done this a few times so I could be missing something. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Derek Delpero
04-02-2003, 01:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Glen Weir, ysr612:

ps hold the axel in a vice</div></div>A good quality pic would definitly help. I'm not sure about a one spoke at a time lacing process. From what I've gathered, you pretty much have to lace the inners first, and to get to the inners on one wheel you have to take off the outers.

Also depending on the spoke pattern, you might not be able to remove a particular spoke with out removing a bunch of other spokes. For example on the TTR drum wheel, I could start lacing with only putting the inner spokes on the hub. After those were laced I could put the outers on the hub. On the disc hub, I couldn't do this and had to put all spokes in the hub before I started lacing.

With a cross "x" pattern it's relatively easy. You start off lacing every inner on every 4th hole. Then just remember how many spokes an outer has to cross and lace the outers accordingly.

But I've only done this a few times so I could be missing something. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

ysr612
04-02-2003, 02:46 PM
I know the pic helps me the way I do it is I mark my 3 start spokes first and hang the rim once you do that the rest is a piece of cake. I had never tried the other method I was going to but I always start the same so I never got a chance.

ps truing them allways makes me feel stupid.

ysr612
04-02-2003, 02:46 PM
I know the pic helps me the way I do it is I mark my 3 start spokes first and hang the rim once you do that the rest is a piece of cake. I had never tried the other method I was going to but I always start the same so I never got a chance.

ps truing them allways makes me feel stupid.

Jack Giesecke
04-03-2003, 08:14 AM
The way I've always re-rimmed a hub is to add one spoke at a time to the wheel in the same pattern as the stock spokes. Before removing the stock rim I ty wrap or tape the spokes together where they cross so the pattern isn't disturbed and I can copy it with the new spokes as I remove the old ones and tape or ty wrap the new spokes in place as I go along. Hope that made sense. I'd not wanna take a bare hub and try to lace it from scratch. I ain't good with jig saw puzzles or Rubik's Cubes either.

Just got a CR80 front for the XR off ebay. I'm thinking I'll try to get a 19" on it for the Avon tires rather than go through all the crap of modding another hub for it with a 36 spoke pattern like Duncan did with the KX. I can probably get an appropriate width 19" rim for it either salvage or new from Buchanan's.

Jack Giesecke
04-03-2003, 08:14 AM
The way I've always re-rimmed a hub is to add one spoke at a time to the wheel in the same pattern as the stock spokes. Before removing the stock rim I ty wrap or tape the spokes together where they cross so the pattern isn't disturbed and I can copy it with the new spokes as I remove the old ones and tape or ty wrap the new spokes in place as I go along. Hope that made sense. I'd not wanna take a bare hub and try to lace it from scratch. I ain't good with jig saw puzzles or Rubik's Cubes either.

Just got a CR80 front for the XR off ebay. I'm thinking I'll try to get a 19" on it for the Avon tires rather than go through all the crap of modding another hub for it with a 36 spoke pattern like Duncan did with the KX. I can probably get an appropriate width 19" rim for it either salvage or new from Buchanan's.

hawker
04-07-2003, 11:11 PM
Thanks for all the opinions. I'm very new to this whole wire wheel thing (very much a younger racer), so all of this has been very educational.

Jack- My brother and I ran the Avon front at the last OH race, and it stuck great, much more grip than the stock suspension could handle. I was looking at some more cost-effctive/durable solutions. Memories of a "wide" selection of front rubber for my old interceptor made me think of a 16" front tire.

hawker
04-07-2003, 11:11 PM
Thanks for all the opinions. I'm very new to this whole wire wheel thing (very much a younger racer), so all of this has been very educational.

Jack- My brother and I ran the Avon front at the last OH race, and it stuck great, much more grip than the stock suspension could handle. I was looking at some more cost-effctive/durable solutions. Memories of a "wide" selection of front rubber for my old interceptor made me think of a 16" front tire.

Chris Thomas
04-09-2003, 09:45 AM
>>Memories of a "wide" selection of front rubber for my old interceptor made me think of a 16" front tire.

Well times have changed and there is not a wide selection of sticky 16 inch rubber for a rim this narrow anymore. Your choices are limited pretty much to the 100/90-16 BT 45 bridgestone or the new 100/90-16 Pirelli sport tire that just came out (cant think of its designation right now). These tires are just fine for that first 95% of the bikes abilities, it is when you want that extra 5-10% to run with the slick shod guys that it becomes a problem. Then you havta have the 17's laced up.(and spend bucks on the chassis set up)

Of course you could be just plain 'ol faster... Phil Fisher and Logan wore me out at katy on dual sport style tires.

Chris Thomas
04-09-2003, 09:45 AM
>>Memories of a "wide" selection of front rubber for my old interceptor made me think of a 16" front tire.

Well times have changed and there is not a wide selection of sticky 16 inch rubber for a rim this narrow anymore. Your choices are limited pretty much to the 100/90-16 BT 45 bridgestone or the new 100/90-16 Pirelli sport tire that just came out (cant think of its designation right now). These tires are just fine for that first 95% of the bikes abilities, it is when you want that extra 5-10% to run with the slick shod guys that it becomes a problem. Then you havta have the 17's laced up.(and spend bucks on the chassis set up)

Of course you could be just plain 'ol faster... Phil Fisher and Logan wore me out at katy on dual sport style tires.

Jack Giesecke
04-10-2003, 06:54 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Mark Price:

Jack- My brother and I ran the Avon front at the last OH race, and it stuck great, much more grip than the stock suspension could handle. I was looking at some more cost-effctive/durable solutions. Memories of a "wide" selection of front rubber for my old interceptor made me think of a 16" front tire.</div></div>You can get the street compound version of that Avon AM20 CHEAP, like $70, from http://www.2centsracing.com . Until you get your suspension right, you might try that tire. It's a lot harder than the race compound.

I'm thinkin' our XR is going to STICK with that race compound on the front. If the rear steps out, just ride the slide, it's fun! I've got my suspension done by Lindemann, but I just bought a CR80 front end off ebay for cheap and am going to be making the conversion. I'm going to see if I can get a little wider 19" for that CR80 hub to perfectly fit that Avon tire. I know I can't get a proper 17 on it cause it's a 28 spoke wheel.

Jack Giesecke
04-10-2003, 06:54 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Mark Price:

Jack- My brother and I ran the Avon front at the last OH race, and it stuck great, much more grip than the stock suspension could handle. I was looking at some more cost-effctive/durable solutions. Memories of a "wide" selection of front rubber for my old interceptor made me think of a 16" front tire.</div></div>You can get the street compound version of that Avon AM20 CHEAP, like $70, from http://www.2centsracing.com . Until you get your suspension right, you might try that tire. It's a lot harder than the race compound.

I'm thinkin' our XR is going to STICK with that race compound on the front. If the rear steps out, just ride the slide, it's fun! I've got my suspension done by Lindemann, but I just bought a CR80 front end off ebay for cheap and am going to be making the conversion. I'm going to see if I can get a little wider 19" for that CR80 hub to perfectly fit that Avon tire. I know I can't get a proper 17 on it cause it's a 28 spoke wheel.