PDA

View Full Version : Rain Riding!

SMILEYMAN
04-29-2003, 09:40 AM
OK, time to break from the politics and discuss racing again! Since the weather looks questionable for MSR, does anyone have any useful tips for rain riding? I doubt many of us get alot of practice in the wet, so how do you go fast, safe, in the rain? Set up? Technique? Fortitude? Smiley

SMILEYMAN
04-29-2003, 09:40 AM
OK, time to break from the politics and discuss racing again! Since the weather looks questionable for MSR, does anyone have any useful tips for rain riding? I doubt many of us get alot of practice in the wet, so how do you go fast, safe, in the rain? Set up? Technique? Fortitude? Smiley

Rich Desmond
04-29-2003, 11:41 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by CHRIS SMILEY:
OK, time to break from the politics and discuss racing again! Since the weather looks questionable for MSR, does anyone have any useful tips for rain riding? I doubt many of us get alot of practice in the wet, so how do you go fast, safe, in the rain? Set up? Technique? Fortitude? Smiley</div></div>Make sure you've got lots of spare bars and levers. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Rich Desmond
04-29-2003, 11:41 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by CHRIS SMILEY:
OK, time to break from the politics and discuss racing again! Since the weather looks questionable for MSR, does anyone have any useful tips for rain riding? I doubt many of us get alot of practice in the wet, so how do you go fast, safe, in the rain? Set up? Technique? Fortitude? Smiley</div></div>Make sure you've got lots of spare bars and levers. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

04-29-2003, 11:57 AM
what is it with you people looking at weather forecasts at the beggining of the week? :rolleyes:
talk about gluttons for punishment!

when it is your time to go out and race, look up.
that will be all the forecast you need. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

oh yeah, as far as the actual question, i just ride even slower than i usually do in the rain. at a walking pace it does not hurt if you crash. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

04-29-2003, 11:57 AM
what is it with you people looking at weather forecasts at the beggining of the week? :rolleyes:
talk about gluttons for punishment!

when it is your time to go out and race, look up.
that will be all the forecast you need. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

oh yeah, as far as the actual question, i just ride even slower than i usually do in the rain. at a walking pace it does not hurt if you crash. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

SMILEYMAN
04-29-2003, 12:03 PM
Last year at MSR it came a flood Saturday night and I remember it pretty much washed both practices because of the slime made when water mixed with the this layer of Texas silt on the smooth pavement. It felt like riding on snot! (Sorry for the graphic image). I have ridden endurance twice at TWS in the rain, but I would not say I was making good time. Smiley

SMILEYMAN
04-29-2003, 12:03 PM
Last year at MSR it came a flood Saturday night and I remember it pretty much washed both practices because of the slime made when water mixed with the this layer of Texas silt on the smooth pavement. It felt like riding on snot! (Sorry for the graphic image). I have ridden endurance twice at TWS in the rain, but I would not say I was making good time. Smiley

04-29-2003, 12:09 PM
Last year at MSR it came a flood Saturday night and I remember it pretty much washed both practices because of the slime made when water mixed with the this layer of Texas silt on the smooth pavement. It felt like riding on snot! (Sorry for the graphic image). I have ridden endurance twice at TWS in the rain, but I would not say I was making good time. Smiley</div></div>i was sleeping in the back of my truck when the HURRICANE OF '02 hit cresson, i remember it well.

04-29-2003, 12:09 PM
Last year at MSR it came a flood Saturday night and I remember it pretty much washed both practices because of the slime made when water mixed with the this layer of Texas silt on the smooth pavement. It felt like riding on snot! (Sorry for the graphic image). I have ridden endurance twice at TWS in the rain, but I would not say I was making good time. Smiley</div></div>i was sleeping in the back of my truck when the HURRICANE OF '02 hit cresson, i remember it well.

ChuckMcCoy
04-29-2003, 01:08 PM
Chris, just bring me your SV and I'll show ya'.

You won't even have to get wet if you reserve a seat on the second level of the clubhouse.

It's really a lot of trouble anyway, isn't it? Trust me on this, you'd be better off watching. I'll do this just for you. Really. You're just such a great guy.

Do drive carefully, see you at the track!

Chuck
"Damn I want an SV"

ChuckMcCoy
04-29-2003, 01:08 PM
Chris, just bring me your SV and I'll show ya'.

You won't even have to get wet if you reserve a seat on the second level of the clubhouse.

It's really a lot of trouble anyway, isn't it? Trust me on this, you'd be better off watching. I'll do this just for you. Really. You're just such a great guy.

Do drive carefully, see you at the track!

Chuck
"Damn I want an SV"

SMILEYMAN
04-29-2003, 04:44 PM
Really Chuck, I have had much more practice crashing my SV than you. I would be the logical choice! Besides I heal quicker.

So now the forecast for Saturday looks better but sunday looks worse? Maybe Johnny was right...Don't look until you grid up! Smiley

SMILEYMAN
04-29-2003, 04:44 PM
Really Chuck, I have had much more practice crashing my SV than you. I would be the logical choice! Besides I heal quicker.

So now the forecast for Saturday looks better but sunday looks worse? Maybe Johnny was right...Don't look until you grid up! Smiley

olddude
04-29-2003, 08:10 PM
I doubt many of us get alot of practice in the wet,.. [Not true, I practice crashing in the rain all the time]...so how do you go fast, safe,... [you get one or the other Not both!!]...in the rain? Set up? Technique? Fortitude?...[mostly it is Fortitude and attending the pre race church service.] And the nice part is, the slick is not as tough on the leathers or the bike; the bad part is, trying to get all that mud off the bike!
OH, I almost forgot, it helps if you close your eyes; as you will not be able to see any thing any way!!! Phillip

olddude
04-29-2003, 08:10 PM
I doubt many of us get alot of practice in the wet,.. [Not true, I practice crashing in the rain all the time]...so how do you go fast, safe,... [you get one or the other Not both!!]...in the rain? Set up? Technique? Fortitude?...[mostly it is Fortitude and attending the pre race church service.] And the nice part is, the slick is not as tough on the leathers or the bike; the bad part is, trying to get all that mud off the bike!
OH, I almost forgot, it helps if you close your eyes; as you will not be able to see any thing any way!!! Phillip

tinman
04-30-2003, 12:05 AM
the rain is such fun, not. Ever watch colin in the rain. he is awesome. I dont mind a rain race except for the excessively heavy leathers after the race. It makes seeing anything interesting especially if you are behind someone. The crashes seem to be easier on bike and leathers. the downside is the mud. The one thing that gets me is downshifting too quickly and sliding it into a corner. Most of the time people will give you lots of room if you do this, I think this is due to curiousity to see if you will pull it off or not. And braking is an entirely new experience especially if you count on the front alot. just relax and enjoy. Its like that fellow who was running for governor said kinda paraphrased, " its kinda like a big thunderstorm, if you can't avoid it, sit back and enjoy it." Clayton Williams

tinman
04-30-2003, 12:05 AM
the rain is such fun, not. Ever watch colin in the rain. he is awesome. I dont mind a rain race except for the excessively heavy leathers after the race. It makes seeing anything interesting especially if you are behind someone. The crashes seem to be easier on bike and leathers. the downside is the mud. The one thing that gets me is downshifting too quickly and sliding it into a corner. Most of the time people will give you lots of room if you do this, I think this is due to curiousity to see if you will pull it off or not. And braking is an entirely new experience especially if you count on the front alot. just relax and enjoy. Its like that fellow who was running for governor said kinda paraphrased, " its kinda like a big thunderstorm, if you can't avoid it, sit back and enjoy it." Clayton Williams

Daniel Browning
04-30-2003, 01:33 AM
hmmm clayton williams.. that guy was kinda diffrrernt.. If I would have been older than 12 years old when he ran I would have voted for him.. but he is still a lil differnt.. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif :p

Daniel Browning
04-30-2003, 01:33 AM
hmmm clayton williams.. that guy was kinda diffrrernt.. If I would have been older than 12 years old when he ran I would have voted for him.. but he is still a lil differnt.. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif :p

Troy Green
04-30-2003, 05:03 AM
I'm not much of a rain rider....but here is the best I can do to help you ride in the rain for the first time.

BUY RAIN TIRES!!!!!

Ok, now you pull out on the track and it is WET, basically you can do all the same things that you do in the dry, you just have to be extremely smooth, you can brake very hard in the rain (even do stoppies), and at most tracks drag a knee, and wheelies are possible as well. So all you have to do is ride smooth and progressive. You don't SNAP the brakes on....you easy them on get the weight over the front then poor on more brakes. I don't recommend trail braking into corners in the rain, so get it stopped, turn it in nice and smooth and slowly pick up the throttle.

HMMMmmm, imagine you are riding on brand new tires, with no tire warmers, with a 100 psi in them. Now you can still go fast, but only if you are smooth.

DO NOT go crazy changing the suspension, you will have enough to deal with out there, you don't need to have to learn to ride a completely different handling motorcycle at the same time.
At most I would recommend that you take out a little rebound, and maybe a little preload. If you take out to much compression then the bike will dive in the front and squat in the rear....neither of which is good for SMOOTH!!!!

Good Luck... and don't forget RAIN TIRES!!!!!

Troy
CMRA #1

Troy Green
04-30-2003, 05:03 AM
I'm not much of a rain rider....but here is the best I can do to help you ride in the rain for the first time.

BUY RAIN TIRES!!!!!

Ok, now you pull out on the track and it is WET, basically you can do all the same things that you do in the dry, you just have to be extremely smooth, you can brake very hard in the rain (even do stoppies), and at most tracks drag a knee, and wheelies are possible as well. So all you have to do is ride smooth and progressive. You don't SNAP the brakes on....you easy them on get the weight over the front then poor on more brakes. I don't recommend trail braking into corners in the rain, so get it stopped, turn it in nice and smooth and slowly pick up the throttle.

HMMMmmm, imagine you are riding on brand new tires, with no tire warmers, with a 100 psi in them. Now you can still go fast, but only if you are smooth.

DO NOT go crazy changing the suspension, you will have enough to deal with out there, you don't need to have to learn to ride a completely different handling motorcycle at the same time.
At most I would recommend that you take out a little rebound, and maybe a little preload. If you take out to much compression then the bike will dive in the front and squat in the rear....neither of which is good for SMOOTH!!!!

Good Luck... and don't forget RAIN TIRES!!!!!

Troy
CMRA #1

twg
04-30-2003, 07:17 AM
Damn Troy!! Why did you give up the rain tire secret. I was hoping to finally have an advantage. It keeps going through my mind over and over again... "Will Mike have rains? What about Bill? And the other Mike?" You know all the competition. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

twg

twg
04-30-2003, 07:17 AM
Damn Troy!! Why did you give up the rain tire secret. I was hoping to finally have an advantage. It keeps going through my mind over and over again... "Will Mike have rains? What about Bill? And the other Mike?" You know all the competition. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

twg

SMILEYMAN
04-30-2003, 09:14 AM
Thanks Troy! something to work on! Crashing is easy and I am sooooo prayed up. Just wanted some technique...Chris

SMILEYMAN
04-30-2003, 09:14 AM
Thanks Troy! something to work on! Crashing is easy and I am sooooo prayed up. Just wanted some technique...Chris

DwayneSowell
05-01-2003, 09:44 PM
thanks to Troy from the all-speed boys also!!! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

DwayneSowell
05-01-2003, 09:44 PM
thanks to Troy from the all-speed boys also!!! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

marcus mcbain
05-01-2003, 10:00 PM
The tips I have given riders in the rain is:

1) Use rain tires. If the track is "iffy" Dunlop D207's work really well in wet or dry. Pirelli's, Michelin's and D208's are for all intents and purposes lightly cut slicks in the rain.

2) Don't be afraid to be the slowest guy on the track (You won't be).

3) Never grab a handful of brake or "crack" the throttle open. Roll on the throttle. Really these are dry rules too.

4) Use you feet and legs to move around on the bike. (Don't sit or drag around on the seat).

5) At MSR, Make sure you go ACROSS (not along) the sealer strips.

6) Don't trail brake heavily.

7) Have fun. If you keep it upright, it is a good bet you will do well.

Marcus

marcus mcbain
05-01-2003, 10:00 PM
The tips I have given riders in the rain is:

1) Use rain tires. If the track is "iffy" Dunlop D207's work really well in wet or dry. Pirelli's, Michelin's and D208's are for all intents and purposes lightly cut slicks in the rain.

2) Don't be afraid to be the slowest guy on the track (You won't be).

3) Never grab a handful of brake or "crack" the throttle open. Roll on the throttle. Really these are dry rules too.

4) Use you feet and legs to move around on the bike. (Don't sit or drag around on the seat).

5) At MSR, Make sure you go ACROSS (not along) the sealer strips.

6) Don't trail brake heavily.

7) Have fun. If you keep it upright, it is a good bet you will do well.

Marcus

marcus mcbain
05-01-2003, 10:27 PM
Oh yeah. If it rains at MSR. Hide the freakin' canopies, because rain usually brings 70mph winds (no kiddin').

Last year sucked, but it didn't. Morning practice was a wash because the dirt runs on the track if there is any steady rain. Also, the asphalt is so fine, it takes forever before the dirt comes up (when it dries). Regardless, a good day or racing was still put in.

Marcus

marcus mcbain
05-01-2003, 10:27 PM
Oh yeah. If it rains at MSR. Hide the freakin' canopies, because rain usually brings 70mph winds (no kiddin').

Last year sucked, but it didn't. Morning practice was a wash because the dirt runs on the track if there is any steady rain. Also, the asphalt is so fine, it takes forever before the dirt comes up (when it dries). Regardless, a good day or racing was still put in.

Marcus

SMILEYMAN
05-02-2003, 12:55 PM
Thanks Marcus! Along the lines of moving your body would you recommend leaning off more? And all my wet experience has been on DOT's, Do rains run different pressure or have different feedback? Smiley

SMILEYMAN
05-02-2003, 12:55 PM
Thanks Marcus! Along the lines of moving your body would you recommend leaning off more? And all my wet experience has been on DOT's, Do rains run different pressure or have different feedback? Smiley

olddude
05-02-2003, 06:03 PM
Smiley, Real Rain tires work very well, 2 prob.
cost and supersoft comp. they will turn into goo very fast when they run on dry.Pressure is diff;
because tire does not heat as much, so little or
no increase in presure due to heat. Jump in here Tire guys!

olddude
05-02-2003, 06:03 PM
Smiley, Real Rain tires work very well, 2 prob.
cost and supersoft comp. they will turn into goo very fast when they run on dry.Pressure is diff;
because tire does not heat as much, so little or
no increase in presure due to heat. Jump in here Tire guys!