PDA

View Full Version : Masterlink clip woes

jonlampert
05-17-2003, 05:51 PM
I was looking over my bike after running a track day and noticed that my masterlink clip was gone. Fortunately the side plate stayed on and I only lost the masterlink clip (note that the masterlink clip has been removed and re-installed at least once. Should these clips not be reused?)

Short of using a rivet type masterlink, what is the best way to prevent this problem? I have seen people use RTV silicone smeared over the clip to help retain it. Is this a reliable method?

When I first put the new chain on my bike, I had a little concern about the masterlink clip. I heard that some people had problems with them and that a rivet type masterlink clip was prefered. But on my CR250, I have never had a problem. And that chain gets gunked up with mud, sand, water, etc. In fact, the clip is worn down to about half its originally thickness. Based on my CR250, I decided that a clip type masterlink should be just fine.

So should I get the rivet type (and purchase the requisite tool) or just goop up my clip with silicone?

Thanks for the help.

jonlampert
05-17-2003, 05:51 PM
I was looking over my bike after running a track day and noticed that my masterlink clip was gone. Fortunately the side plate stayed on and I only lost the masterlink clip (note that the masterlink clip has been removed and re-installed at least once. Should these clips not be reused?)

Short of using a rivet type masterlink, what is the best way to prevent this problem? I have seen people use RTV silicone smeared over the clip to help retain it. Is this a reliable method?

When I first put the new chain on my bike, I had a little concern about the masterlink clip. I heard that some people had problems with them and that a rivet type masterlink clip was prefered. But on my CR250, I have never had a problem. And that chain gets gunked up with mud, sand, water, etc. In fact, the clip is worn down to about half its originally thickness. Based on my CR250, I decided that a clip type masterlink should be just fine.

So should I get the rivet type (and purchase the requisite tool) or just goop up my clip with silicone?

Thanks for the help.

ysr612
05-17-2003, 08:10 PM
some people safety wire them on I use a rivet type.

ysr612
05-17-2003, 08:10 PM
some people safety wire them on I use a rivet type.

Rich Desmond
05-17-2003, 11:51 PM
Use a rivet link, there is no good reason not to. People have died because someone's chain came off. If I was making the rules clips would be banned.

Rich Desmond
05-17-2003, 11:51 PM
Use a rivet link, there is no good reason not to. People have died because someone's chain came off. If I was making the rules clips would be banned.

jonlampert
05-18-2003, 01:48 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Glen Weir, ysr612:
some people safety wire them on I use a rivet type.</div></div>What exactly do you safety wire?

jonlampert
05-18-2003, 01:48 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Glen Weir, ysr612:
some people safety wire them on I use a rivet type.</div></div>What exactly do you safety wire?

Keith Hertell
05-18-2003, 02:00 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Rich Desmond:
Use a rivet link, there is no good reason not to. People have died because someone's chain came off. If I was making the rules clips would be banned.</div></div>Oh Come on! Banned is EXTREME!!! If you safety wire AND silicone it's not going anywhere.

You must remember the chain and is also a part of your bike that needs to be checked EVERY time you ride it.

I've seen alot of people with rivet chains that don't/ can't install them properly and lose those too.

Keith Hertell
05-18-2003, 02:00 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Rich Desmond:
Use a rivet link, there is no good reason not to. People have died because someone's chain came off. If I was making the rules clips would be banned.</div></div>Oh Come on! Banned is EXTREME!!! If you safety wire AND silicone it's not going anywhere.

You must remember the chain and is also a part of your bike that needs to be checked EVERY time you ride it.

I've seen alot of people with rivet chains that don't/ can't install them properly and lose those too.

CYCLE 1
05-18-2003, 01:03 PM
I agree with Rich, clip type links should not be allowed. I already had one incident this year
when a rider in front of me threw a chain using a clip link. I see this at my shop almost on a daily basis. Eventually it will bite you in the
rear in you run a clip type link!

CYCLE 1
05-18-2003, 01:03 PM
I agree with Rich, clip type links should not be allowed. I already had one incident this year
when a rider in front of me threw a chain using a clip link. I see this at my shop almost on a daily basis. Eventually it will bite you in the
rear in you run a clip type link!

anthony c smith
05-18-2003, 02:27 PM
Does this "pressed link" apply to all chains? What about smaller machines like the RS80, RS60 that have the 420 chain? Would a clip or safety wire with RTV be sufficient? Given that a "pressed link" were not available Which would be the most dependable of the options presented? If we pressed these chains on, that would create a heck of a hasle for testing and tuning diffrent gearing situations.
IMO, if a "pressed link" were not available then a NEW master link with clip and RTV sounds like the way to go. The safety wire doesnt really appeal to me as I have came in and found safety wire broken in high vibration areas multiple times this season. I would think that a chain would be a high vibration peice?
A wise fellow once told me that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. I am definetly interested in how this thread pans out. Thanks, Anthony Smith.

anthony c smith
05-18-2003, 02:27 PM
Does this "pressed link" apply to all chains? What about smaller machines like the RS80, RS60 that have the 420 chain? Would a clip or safety wire with RTV be sufficient? Given that a "pressed link" were not available Which would be the most dependable of the options presented? If we pressed these chains on, that would create a heck of a hasle for testing and tuning diffrent gearing situations.
IMO, if a "pressed link" were not available then a NEW master link with clip and RTV sounds like the way to go. The safety wire doesnt really appeal to me as I have came in and found safety wire broken in high vibration areas multiple times this season. I would think that a chain would be a high vibration peice?
A wise fellow once told me that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. I am definetly interested in how this thread pans out. Thanks, Anthony Smith.

E. Templet
05-18-2003, 02:59 PM
Personally, I don't like the idea that clip type links are allowed on the track. I don't keep abreast of all the rules, but as I see it, the rules are only a minimum, you are certainly free to go a few steps further as far as safety is concerned. This is evident as you only have to look at safey-wired bikes to see many riders taking it a step or 2 farther...Experience will do that to you. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

If you are going to use a clip type link, I would never reuse one and I would certainly take every precaution...silicone and safety wire the clip in place.

E. Templet
05-18-2003, 02:59 PM
Personally, I don't like the idea that clip type links are allowed on the track. I don't keep abreast of all the rules, but as I see it, the rules are only a minimum, you are certainly free to go a few steps further as far as safety is concerned. This is evident as you only have to look at safey-wired bikes to see many riders taking it a step or 2 farther...Experience will do that to you. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

If you are going to use a clip type link, I would never reuse one and I would certainly take every precaution...silicone and safety wire the clip in place.

cedestech
05-18-2003, 08:06 PM
damn.

I hate to do this but......

If you can not install and inspect a clip type
master link chain then you are correct, you shouldn't be allowed to use them.

You also shouldn't be allowed to do any other maintanace on your bike but maybe a cursory wipe
down with a lint free cloth because you are a complete danger to yourself and surounding individuals.

I and MANY people I know have been racing clip type master link chains for literaly DECADES and
have never, ever had one fail.

I'm not kidding, if you can't maintain a chain then you shouldn't change oil, wheels, brake pads or any other item that can fail and injure yourself or anyone around you.

Banned?

I don't think so.

BTW.......

The bad *** CMRA tee shirt, in black with
established 1974.....

The chain has a master link.

/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

cedestech
05-18-2003, 08:06 PM
damn.

You also shouldn't be allowed to do any other maintanace on your bike but maybe a cursory wipe
down with a lint free cloth because you are a complete danger to yourself and surounding individuals.

I and MANY people I know have been racing clip type master link chains for literaly DECADES and
have never, ever had one fail.

I'm not kidding, if you can't maintain a chain then you shouldn't change oil, wheels, brake pads or any other item that can fail and injure yourself or anyone around you.

Banned?

I don't think so.

BTW.......

The bad *** CMRA tee shirt, in black with
established 1974.....

The chain has a master link.

/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

Rich Desmond
05-18-2003, 09:23 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by anthony c smith:
...If we pressed these chains on, that would create a heck of a hasle for testing and tuning diffrent gearing situations...</div></div>Why?? It takes about 20 seconds to take a rivet link off (given that you've got a grinder hander, which is easy) and about 2 minutes to put one on. Maybe 1 more minute than with a clip. And there's no waiting for the silicone to set up.
I don't know about other bikes but on the SV I was able to run all my gearing with one chain length, so it was a moot point anyway.

Rich Desmond
05-18-2003, 09:23 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by anthony c smith:
...If we pressed these chains on, that would create a heck of a hasle for testing and tuning diffrent gearing situations...</div></div>Why?? It takes about 20 seconds to take a rivet link off (given that you've got a grinder hander, which is easy) and about 2 minutes to put one on. Maybe 1 more minute than with a clip. And there's no waiting for the silicone to set up.
I don't know about other bikes but on the SV I was able to run all my gearing with one chain length, so it was a moot point anyway.

Rich Desmond
05-18-2003, 09:29 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Emmett Dibble:
damn.

/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif </div></div>Emmett, I do know how to put on a clip, and have had one break. Luckily the silicone kept the remaining half of the clip in place, but it certainly gave me pause. I switched to the rivet type shortly thereafter. Done correctly, the clip type does have a fairly low incidence of failure, but the rivet type is almost foolproof. When you're drafting someone at 140 at TWS, would you rather they had a clip or a rivet on their chain??

Rich Desmond
05-18-2003, 09:29 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Emmett Dibble:
damn.

/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif </div></div>Emmett, I do know how to put on a clip, and have had one break. Luckily the silicone kept the remaining half of the clip in place, but it certainly gave me pause. I switched to the rivet type shortly thereafter. Done correctly, the clip type does have a fairly low incidence of failure, but the rivet type is almost foolproof. When you're drafting someone at 140 at TWS, would you rather they had a clip or a rivet on their chain??

jonlampert
05-18-2003, 10:22 PM
If you can not install and inspect a clip type master link chain then...you shouldn't be allowed to use them. You also shouldn't be allowed to do any other maintanace on your bike...because you are a complete danger to yourself and surounding individuals...
</div></div>What exactly should I be inspecting? If the clip is installed (and not bent or mangled), the chain is lubed and the tension set properly what else is there to do?

For now I've installed a new clip (and siliconed it in place) but will probably buy a rivet type master link. Better safe than sorry, right? And like Rich said: "...on the SV I was able to run all my gearing with one chain length..."

If I buy only the mastelink and not the tool, will there be anyone at the track this weekend with one of the installation tools that I could borrow?

Thanks,
Jon

jonlampert
05-18-2003, 10:22 PM
If you can not install and inspect a clip type master link chain then...you shouldn't be allowed to use them. You also shouldn't be allowed to do any other maintanace on your bike...because you are a complete danger to yourself and surounding individuals...
</div></div>What exactly should I be inspecting? If the clip is installed (and not bent or mangled), the chain is lubed and the tension set properly what else is there to do?

For now I've installed a new clip (and siliconed it in place) but will probably buy a rivet type master link. Better safe than sorry, right? And like Rich said: "...on the SV I was able to run all my gearing with one chain length..."

If I buy only the mastelink and not the tool, will there be anyone at the track this weekend with one of the installation tools that I could borrow?

Thanks,
Jon

young515am
05-18-2003, 10:33 PM
jon,
i think we will have you covered on the chain issue!!when are u coming up?see ya :p

billy young
515 am

young515am
05-18-2003, 10:33 PM
jon,
i think we will have you covered on the chain issue!!when are u coming up?see ya :p

billy young
515 am

cedestech
05-18-2003, 11:12 PM
I draft people at 130 and haven't been hit in the
head with a chain yet.

Several springs, nuts, bolts, slip on mufflers but no chains.

When the clip is "properly" attached on a chain
that is "propperly" adjusted and propperly lubricated I cannot understand how it can come off and have never seen it come off.

If you get it on the outside of the grooves, yes.
It'll snap or come off.

If you'r chain is so cashed it has 3 inches of
slap (tightest to loosest spots on the chain as the wheel is rotated) yes it "could" slap it off.

But a clip master link on a usable chain propperly installed and adjusted is about as
bullit proof as it gets.

They fail from human error, not design.

If you are going to outlaw them because of
incompatance then outlaw:

Guns, some poeple are always killing other
people with them.

Beer, someone is alway drinking to much and
driving.

Cars, someone is always operating one incorectly and running into something.

Sex, someone is alway knocking someone else up
or spreading this months new version of a incurable
virus.

It's not that you dislike the use of a particular
products design that I have a problem with....

It's the fact that you don't have a problem with
other peoples incompetance with it's use.

The banning of it's use all together is not
a fix.

I still maintain that if you can't install a clip
on a master link propperly then you shouldn't
be working on a scooter.

I'd be much more worried about the guy I'm passing on the outside running wide into me
because his loose "rivit master linked" chain whipped off the sprocket mid corner locking the rear or loading the front.

But I guess that'd be Okay because his link WAS
rivited?

:rolleyes:

cedestech
05-18-2003, 11:12 PM
I draft people at 130 and haven't been hit in the
head with a chain yet.

Several springs, nuts, bolts, slip on mufflers but no chains.

When the clip is "properly" attached on a chain
that is "propperly" adjusted and propperly lubricated I cannot understand how it can come off and have never seen it come off.

If you get it on the outside of the grooves, yes.
It'll snap or come off.

If you'r chain is so cashed it has 3 inches of
slap (tightest to loosest spots on the chain as the wheel is rotated) yes it "could" slap it off.

But a clip master link on a usable chain propperly installed and adjusted is about as
bullit proof as it gets.

They fail from human error, not design.

If you are going to outlaw them because of
incompatance then outlaw:

Guns, some poeple are always killing other
people with them.

Beer, someone is alway drinking to much and
driving.

Cars, someone is always operating one incorectly and running into something.

Sex, someone is alway knocking someone else up
or spreading this months new version of a incurable
virus.

It's not that you dislike the use of a particular
products design that I have a problem with....

It's the fact that you don't have a problem with
other peoples incompetance with it's use.

The banning of it's use all together is not
a fix.

I still maintain that if you can't install a clip
on a master link propperly then you shouldn't
be working on a scooter.

I'd be much more worried about the guy I'm passing on the outside running wide into me
because his loose "rivit master linked" chain whipped off the sprocket mid corner locking the rear or loading the front.

But I guess that'd be Okay because his link WAS
rivited?

:rolleyes:

SMILEYMAN
05-19-2003, 09:15 AM
Well I have to agree with all you guys...

Emmitt is right in that you can't legislate competence and common sense, there are too many people without it.

However Eugene and Rich are right in saying you should not take even the smallest chance with bike prep., cause your and everyone elses safety is on the line. (I know Eugene, why bother with a clip or a rivet when I am just going to throw myself to the tire wall anyways!)

In the end regardless of which method you decide best...Make sure it is done in a safe workman like manner (to quote a rule book I once read)and inspect it every time you race...
Smiley

SMILEYMAN
05-19-2003, 09:15 AM
Well I have to agree with all you guys...

Emmitt is right in that you can't legislate competence and common sense, there are too many people without it.

However Eugene and Rich are right in saying you should not take even the smallest chance with bike prep., cause your and everyone elses safety is on the line. (I know Eugene, why bother with a clip or a rivet when I am just going to throw myself to the tire wall anyways!)

In the end regardless of which method you decide best...Make sure it is done in a safe workman like manner (to quote a rule book I once read)and inspect it every time you race...
Smiley

jonlampert
05-19-2003, 01:29 PM
I'll be departing Thursday afternoon about 5:00pm. I don't remember exactly how long it takes to get there but I think it's about 4 hours. So I'll get there around 9:00pm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by billy young:
jon,

billy young
515 am</div></div>

jonlampert
05-19-2003, 01:29 PM
I'll be departing Thursday afternoon about 5:00pm. I don't remember exactly how long it takes to get there but I think it's about 4 hours. So I'll get there around 9:00pm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by billy young:
jon,

billy young
515 am</div></div>

E. Templet
05-19-2003, 08:52 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by CHRIS SMILEY:
(I know Eugene, why bother with a clip or a rivet when I am just going to throw myself to the tire wall anyways!)

Smiley</div></div>May your impact be mild, and your subesequent deceleration slow and controlled. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif My fervent prayer for you, me, and everyone.

Good luck and ride safe.

E. Templet
05-19-2003, 08:52 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by CHRIS SMILEY:
(I know Eugene, why bother with a clip or a rivet when I am just going to throw myself to the tire wall anyways!)

Smiley</div></div>May your impact be mild, and your subesequent deceleration slow and controlled. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif My fervent prayer for you, me, and everyone.

Good luck and ride safe.

marcus mcbain
05-19-2003, 09:59 PM
I highly recommend the clip type as a racer should be changing chains with gearing in many cases to keep wheelbase/geometry correct.

IF you use a clip type, do two things before calling it "race ready".

1) Safety wire the link/clip TWICE.
2) Put RTV/Silicon over the outside edge of the M/L to provide a extra amount of protection.

BONUS INFORMATION.

Q) How do I clean my really dirty O-Ring chain?
A) Get a pot (One that you won't cook in any longer) and pour some engine oil in (enough to soak chain). Heat up the oil to about 130 degrees. let chain simmer for about 10-30 minutes. Agitate chain to loosen debris. Hang chain above pot for about 24 hours to drain excess oil. You will now notice, the chain moves very freely.

I have seen Rivet links and R-Clip links fail. I would seriously challenge the competence of anyone who claims they know "R-Clip" links are dangerous. They have only been used successfully for racing throughout the world, they in no way could be safe for club racing :rolleyes:

Marcus

marcus mcbain
05-19-2003, 09:59 PM
I highly recommend the clip type as a racer should be changing chains with gearing in many cases to keep wheelbase/geometry correct.

IF you use a clip type, do two things before calling it "race ready".

1) Safety wire the link/clip TWICE.
2) Put RTV/Silicon over the outside edge of the M/L to provide a extra amount of protection.

BONUS INFORMATION.

Q) How do I clean my really dirty O-Ring chain?
A) Get a pot (One that you won't cook in any longer) and pour some engine oil in (enough to soak chain). Heat up the oil to about 130 degrees. let chain simmer for about 10-30 minutes. Agitate chain to loosen debris. Hang chain above pot for about 24 hours to drain excess oil. You will now notice, the chain moves very freely.

I have seen Rivet links and R-Clip links fail. I would seriously challenge the competence of anyone who claims they know "R-Clip" links are dangerous. They have only been used successfully for racing throughout the world, they in no way could be safe for club racing :rolleyes:

Marcus

E. Templet
05-20-2003, 08:53 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Marcus McBain:
I highly recommend the clip type as a racer should be changing chains with gearing in many cases to keep wheelbase/geometry correct. <snip>

Marcus</div></div>What type do the factory teams currently use? I'm just curious.

Hmmmmm...wheelbase. Now that is worth some ponderation. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

E. Templet
05-20-2003, 08:53 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Marcus McBain:
I highly recommend the clip type as a racer should be changing chains with gearing in many cases to keep wheelbase/geometry correct. <snip>

Marcus</div></div>What type do the factory teams currently use? I'm just curious.

Hmmmmm...wheelbase. Now that is worth some ponderation. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

CYCLE 1
05-21-2003, 03:29 PM
Almost all high end chains are only available
for use with a riv-link. I have had this same
conversation with chain manufactures. If you are riding a late model sport bike that came with a endless chain you should replace with a riv
I personally see failures on weekly basis
and have installed countless amounts of chains. I can say without any bias riv-links fail at a
cosiderable less rate.

CYCLE 1
05-21-2003, 03:29 PM
Almost all high end chains are only available
for use with a riv-link. I have had this same
conversation with chain manufactures. If you are riding a late model sport bike that came with a endless chain you should replace with a riv
I personally see failures on weekly basis
and have installed countless amounts of chains. I can say without any bias riv-links fail at a
cosiderable less rate.

RisingR
05-27-2003, 12:31 PM
Ironicaly someone lost a chain at the start of one of the sprint races this past weekend. I think it was an expert race and the chain departed shortly after the start. The rider made it about 1/2 way up the hill after turn 1 before coming to a stop.

RisingR
05-27-2003, 12:31 PM
Ironicaly someone lost a chain at the start of one of the sprint races this past weekend. I think it was an expert race and the chain departed shortly after the start. The rider made it about 1/2 way up the hill after turn 1 before coming to a stop.

marcus mcbain
05-27-2003, 12:34 PM
Yeah, it had a "rivet" M/L. I couldn't tell if the chain failed or if the M/L failed. It looked like the actual link on the M/L ripped it half. FWIW, that was a great start by Logan...until the chain failed.

Marcus

marcus mcbain
05-27-2003, 12:34 PM
Yeah, it had a "rivet" M/L. I couldn't tell if the chain failed or if the M/L failed. It looked like the actual link on the M/L ripped it half. FWIW, that was a great start by Logan...until the chain failed.

Marcus

SMILEYMAN
05-27-2003, 02:56 PM
Our endurance team (4 HIM) had issues with the master link on our SV650 at Hallett. As we readied the bike for practice we noticed the clip type masterlink clip gone. We hurried and replaced it with another clip and safety wire (no time to let RTV set up). After the final transponder practice the replacement clip was also gone. We once again reinstalled a clip and safety wire and it was still there 5 hours later when the race ended.
I went straight to my sprint bike and checked the clip,safety wire, and RTV sealed it. I will continue to use the clip type when I have to. But only with proper installation and inspection! Smiley

SMILEYMAN
05-27-2003, 02:56 PM
Our endurance team (4 HIM) had issues with the master link on our SV650 at Hallett. As we readied the bike for practice we noticed the clip type masterlink clip gone. We hurried and replaced it with another clip and safety wire (no time to let RTV set up). After the final transponder practice the replacement clip was also gone. We once again reinstalled a clip and safety wire and it was still there 5 hours later when the race ended.
I went straight to my sprint bike and checked the clip,safety wire, and RTV sealed it. I will continue to use the clip type when I have to. But only with proper installation and inspection! Smiley

Keith Hertell
05-27-2003, 03:07 PM
You don't HAVE to use the clip. If you safety wire it right the safety wire will last a VERY long time.

Keith Hertell
05-27-2003, 03:07 PM
You don't HAVE to use the clip. If you safety wire it right the safety wire will last a VERY long time.

waytooslow
05-27-2003, 08:26 PM
I don't use the clip at all... saftey wired!!! just make sure to check it often, like every time you come in. if done correctly, it will hold better than a clip. I would prefer to have mine riveted, but not having the tool...

I have used the same on dirt bikes running hare scrambles in the past with no issues, well there was that one time when I tried to cut a log in half with the chain will taking a "nap" .. the wire did snap, but still held on the nipples.

sm

waytooslow
05-27-2003, 08:26 PM
I don't use the clip at all... saftey wired!!! just make sure to check it often, like every time you come in. if done correctly, it will hold better than a clip. I would prefer to have mine riveted, but not having the tool...

I have used the same on dirt bikes running hare scrambles in the past with no issues, well there was that one time when I tried to cut a log in half with the chain will taking a "nap" .. the wire did snap, but still held on the nipples.

sm

jonlampert
05-27-2003, 08:40 PM
Several people have posted about safety wiring the clip-type masterlink. Could anyone explain how exactly you're supposed to do this (a picture would be very useful)? I suppose I could have just tracked one of you down at Hallett, but that would have been too easy, right?

Thanks.

jonlampert
05-27-2003, 08:40 PM
Several people have posted about safety wiring the clip-type masterlink. Could anyone explain how exactly you're supposed to do this (a picture would be very useful)? I suppose I could have just tracked one of you down at Hallett, but that would have been too easy, right?

Thanks.