PDA

View Full Version : yzf426 oil change

JesseJohnson
05-18-2003, 06:49 PM
How much oil goes in one of these bikes? I drained from both engine and oil resivoir. I could do it the hard way, 200ml or so at a time, but but the dip stick with the scotts dampner is a pain in the butt.

Jess

JesseJohnson
05-18-2003, 06:49 PM
How much oil goes in one of these bikes? I drained from both engine and oil resivoir. I could do it the hard way, 200ml or so at a time, but but the dip stick with the scotts dampner is a pain in the butt.

Jess

cedestech
05-18-2003, 09:06 PM
It's a thumper....

add it till it starts spitting it back out.

That should be about right.

:p

cedestech
05-18-2003, 09:06 PM
It's a thumper....

add it till it starts spitting it back out.

That should be about right.

:p

Mitchel
05-19-2003, 02:05 PM
If it's totally empty 1600 ccs, or just over a qt and a 1/2. Make sure to run the bike for about 30 seconds right before you check the oil level. Otherwise it'll give you an inaccurate reading.

Mitchel
05-19-2003, 02:05 PM
If it's totally empty 1600 ccs, or just over a qt and a 1/2. Make sure to run the bike for about 30 seconds right before you check the oil level. Otherwise it'll give you an inaccurate reading.

Dirk Anderson
05-20-2003, 06:22 PM
When draining, after the last few drops, slowly depress the kick starter a few times to ensure it is empty. If you are changing the oil filter along with the oil, start with .75 of a quart. Run the engine for three minutes, check the level and add if more is needed. I usually have to add a touch more if changing the oil filter. Remember to keep an eye on the oil level for the next few times you run it.

Dirk Anderson
05-20-2003, 06:22 PM
When draining, after the last few drops, slowly depress the kick starter a few times to ensure it is empty. If you are changing the oil filter along with the oil, start with .75 of a quart. Run the engine for three minutes, check the level and add if more is needed. I usually have to add a touch more if changing the oil filter. Remember to keep an eye on the oil level for the next few times you run it.

Chris Thomas
05-22-2003, 05:33 PM
About once a year pull the drain screen at the bottom of the frame. Nothing is usually there but you sure need to know when it is.
Also 426's are notorious for having an alarming amount of "glitter" in the oil filter. It must be normal, mine did it for two years and it was bullit proof. Most of 'em have a fair bit in the filter at each change.

Chris Thomas
05-22-2003, 05:33 PM
About once a year pull the drain screen at the bottom of the frame. Nothing is usually there but you sure need to know when it is.
Also 426's are notorious for having an alarming amount of "glitter" in the oil filter. It must be normal, mine did it for two years and it was bullit proof. Most of 'em have a fair bit in the filter at each change.

Allan Stevens
05-23-2003, 09:42 AM
The big thumper Yamaha's use an oil pump housing that is built as part of the case's. The "glitter" comes from an improper fit (shimming) of the oil pump rotors to the case. When you start banging away at the rev limiter this causes the oil pump to cavitate and it starts banging away at the cases. This results in the rotor to case clearance to open up reducing oil pressure and bits of resulting "glitter" to float around. I would invest in a rod kit and be prepared to install it along with a new set of case's because there is no way to repair the case after it goes south. Shoulda bought the Honda 450 it is a far better design.

Allan Stevens
05-23-2003, 09:42 AM
The big thumper Yamaha's use an oil pump housing that is built as part of the case's. The "glitter" comes from an improper fit (shimming) of the oil pump rotors to the case. When you start banging away at the rev limiter this causes the oil pump to cavitate and it starts banging away at the cases. This results in the rotor to case clearance to open up reducing oil pressure and bits of resulting "glitter" to float around. I would invest in a rod kit and be prepared to install it along with a new set of case's because there is no way to repair the case after it goes south. Shoulda bought the Honda 450 it is a far better design.

Chris Thomas
05-23-2003, 12:37 PM
I put probably three to five hours a WEEK on the 426 for two years and never had a single issue with it. It's interesting about the oil pump, I always thought it was clutch material. MOST of my friends with 426's had the same glitter, with no issues.

Now I have a CRF450, which I do believe is a better performing bike, but with about 30 hours on it, it had suffered the dreaded "worn intake valve" problem the internet is rumbling about.
So it now has a new set of Ti intake valves.

Lets see how it goes from here.

C

Chris Thomas
05-23-2003, 12:37 PM
I put probably three to five hours a WEEK on the 426 for two years and never had a single issue with it. It's interesting about the oil pump, I always thought it was clutch material. MOST of my friends with 426's had the same glitter, with no issues.

Now I have a CRF450, which I do believe is a better performing bike, but with about 30 hours on it, it had suffered the dreaded "worn intake valve" problem the internet is rumbling about.
So it now has a new set of Ti intake valves.

Lets see how it goes from here.

C