PDA

View Full Version : 2001 GSXR Fuel Pump and Filter

smitht
05-27-2003, 09:36 PM
When do you give up on this thing?
Last weekend my 2001 gsxr600 was running bad after a couple of laps. After trying several things I took the tank off and had a look.
Turns out the tank is a rust bucket and the fuel pump is not much better. Between the two I got about a cup of "refried beans consistancy" rust and water.

Now these refried beans (rust) is in everything in my fuel pump....anything metal is corroded badly.

Can this be rebuilt or will the corrosion just trigger more corrosion after I treat the tank? Or is it better to find a good used one or get a new one.

smitht
05-27-2003, 09:36 PM
When do you give up on this thing?
Last weekend my 2001 gsxr600 was running bad after a couple of laps. After trying several things I took the tank off and had a look.
Turns out the tank is a rust bucket and the fuel pump is not much better. Between the two I got about a cup of "refried beans consistancy" rust and water.

Now these refried beans (rust) is in everything in my fuel pump....anything metal is corroded badly.

Can this be rebuilt or will the corrosion just trigger more corrosion after I treat the tank? Or is it better to find a good used one or get a new one.

marcus mcbain
05-27-2003, 10:08 PM
The problem may well not be the fuel pump but rather the injectors. Here are some thoughts.

1) Do you have rust in the fuel tank?
2) If yes, then clean and coat tank with treatment. (FYI: There is treatment I recently used that is a one step "black coating" that kicks ***. Call John Rich 281 446 7165 at K's Yamaha/Suzuki for the name)
3) After verifying no rust or treating for rust, remove the fuel pump and clean the fuel filer(s). On most models, I believe there is a high and low speed element (gotta check the shop manual).
4) Next, remove the injectors from the throttle bodies. Turn on ignition while plugged in injectors are held over a drain pan. Many times injectors get clogged and this is the culprit, not the fuel pump. Note any injector that is not "spitting out" a stream of fuel and clean/replace as necessary.

Good Luck,
Marcus

marcus mcbain
05-27-2003, 10:08 PM
The problem may well not be the fuel pump but rather the injectors. Here are some thoughts.

1) Do you have rust in the fuel tank?
2) If yes, then clean and coat tank with treatment. (FYI: There is treatment I recently used that is a one step "black coating" that kicks ***. Call John Rich 281 446 7165 at K's Yamaha/Suzuki for the name)
3) After verifying no rust or treating for rust, remove the fuel pump and clean the fuel filer(s). On most models, I believe there is a high and low speed element (gotta check the shop manual).
4) Next, remove the injectors from the throttle bodies. Turn on ignition while plugged in injectors are held over a drain pan. Many times injectors get clogged and this is the culprit, not the fuel pump. Note any injector that is not "spitting out" a stream of fuel and clean/replace as necessary.

Good Luck,
Marcus

smitht
05-27-2003, 11:13 PM
Thanks Macus, I will work towards the injectors once I get the root of the problem solved. I'll check that suff out. I just bought the Yamaha two step stuff earlier today.

The rust is so bad at the bottom of the tank and in the bottom of the fuel pump, that it leads me to beleive....sabotage. Maybe not to me, but, maybe the previous owner got hit with a can of coke or beer in the tank, or worse yet, recycled beer.

Anyway, the sludge of rust in the bottom of the pump was so bad that the fuel pick-up screen was just a clump of rust. I used carb cleaner to break that clump up and it cleaned the screen pretty good.

My question is, Is the filter shot? I understand the filter to be a large black sealed plastic piece that is part of the pump and runs $200.00 plus at the dealer. I've tried flushing it out....sitting it in a bucket of gas and sloshing it around but I don't know what that filter is made of and if it's still hanging on to all that sludge.

And the second question.... Will all that corrosion on the metal parts of the pump itself trigger more corrosion after I treat the tank, and it's just a losing battle?

Thanks,
Todd

smitht
05-27-2003, 11:13 PM
Thanks Macus, I will work towards the injectors once I get the root of the problem solved. I'll check that suff out. I just bought the Yamaha two step stuff earlier today.

The rust is so bad at the bottom of the tank and in the bottom of the fuel pump, that it leads me to beleive....sabotage. Maybe not to me, but, maybe the previous owner got hit with a can of coke or beer in the tank, or worse yet, recycled beer.

Anyway, the sludge of rust in the bottom of the pump was so bad that the fuel pick-up screen was just a clump of rust. I used carb cleaner to break that clump up and it cleaned the screen pretty good.

My question is, Is the filter shot? I understand the filter to be a large black sealed plastic piece that is part of the pump and runs $200.00 plus at the dealer. I've tried flushing it out....sitting it in a bucket of gas and sloshing it around but I don't know what that filter is made of and if it's still hanging on to all that sludge.

And the second question.... Will all that corrosion on the metal parts of the pump itself trigger more corrosion after I treat the tank, and it's just a losing battle?

Thanks,
Todd

RisingR
05-28-2003, 01:00 PM
Todd,
I don't know if you have used the Yamaha tank treatment before but I have had good success with it. I used it in a couple of older bikes and the tanks are still clean. When you empty the cleaner out pour it into a bucket so you can use it again if there is still some rust left. I also used a pressure washer for the final rinse before putting in the second stage as this blasts any stuborn (sp) rust loose.

RisingR
05-28-2003, 01:00 PM
Todd,
I don't know if you have used the Yamaha tank treatment before but I have had good success with it. I used it in a couple of older bikes and the tanks are still clean. When you empty the cleaner out pour it into a bucket so you can use it again if there is still some rust left. I also used a pressure washer for the final rinse before putting in the second stage as this blasts any stuborn (sp) rust loose.

marcus mcbain
05-28-2003, 01:25 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Todd Smith:

Thanks,
Todd</div></div>Two things,

I think one of your "root problems" is that the injectors are clogged up too.

The other is call John Rich at 281 446 7165 (parts dept) and ask him what the name of the rust treatment they use is. IT IS ABSOLUTELY THE BEST TREATMENT I HAVE EVER USED. You simply pour it in your dry tank, slosh it around, wait 24hrs, and you are done. I used this 5 mos. ago and no problems.

FWIW: Every Suzuki I have owned over the last 6 years (GSXR-600, TLR, and (2) GSXR-1000's) had the tanks get rust in them. IF you use high performance race fuel (esp. oxygenated), it seems to accelerate rusting.

Good Luck,
Marcus

marcus mcbain
05-28-2003, 01:25 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Todd Smith:

Thanks,
Todd</div></div>Two things,

I think one of your "root problems" is that the injectors are clogged up too.

The other is call John Rich at 281 446 7165 (parts dept) and ask him what the name of the rust treatment they use is. IT IS ABSOLUTELY THE BEST TREATMENT I HAVE EVER USED. You simply pour it in your dry tank, slosh it around, wait 24hrs, and you are done. I used this 5 mos. ago and no problems.

FWIW: Every Suzuki I have owned over the last 6 years (GSXR-600, TLR, and (2) GSXR-1000's) had the tanks get rust in them. IF you use high performance race fuel (esp. oxygenated), it seems to accelerate rusting.

Good Luck,
Marcus

SMDGRFX
05-28-2003, 08:22 PM
Listen to what Marcus says about the tank treatment. It is made by Wurth and is hands down the best stuff you could ever use. It will not peel out later on and is a lot easier to use. John Rich is definitely "The Man" over at K's Motorsports. While you're there....check out his trick SR500...I'd like to put that thing on the track...

SMDGRFX
05-28-2003, 08:22 PM
Listen to what Marcus says about the tank treatment. It is made by Wurth and is hands down the best stuff you could ever use. It will not peel out later on and is a lot easier to use. John Rich is definitely "The Man" over at K's Motorsports. While you're there....check out his trick SR500...I'd like to put that thing on the track...

bdmpastx
06-10-2003, 01:54 PM
You can help prevent rust by keeping the tank full of gas when stored. The condinsation in an empty tank will build up over time and will rust out any tank. Just a thought of prevention...most race guys will store the bikes with no fuel...store it with a full tank and stabil and this should head off any problems of rust...

bdmpastx
06-10-2003, 01:54 PM
You can help prevent rust by keeping the tank full of gas when stored. The condinsation in an empty tank will build up over time and will rust out any tank. Just a thought of prevention...most race guys will store the bikes with no fuel...store it with a full tank and stabil and this should head off any problems of rust...