PDA

View Full Version : SV650 Suspension

Frank Newman
06-30-2003, 10:46 AM
For CMRA sprint racing, how much sag should I have, front and rear? How can I adjust sag in the front, if at all? What weight oil should I use in the forks - I weigh 170 without gear. Any other thoughts (productive only, please). Thanks, Frank Newman

Frank Newman
06-30-2003, 10:46 AM
For CMRA sprint racing, how much sag should I have, front and rear? How can I adjust sag in the front, if at all? What weight oil should I use in the forks - I weigh 170 without gear. Any other thoughts (productive only, please). Thanks, Frank Newman

SMILEYMAN
06-30-2003, 11:41 AM
Go to Race Tech .com.(racetech.com I think)They have a guide to give you baseline recommendations on proper spring rate, fork oil weight, sag, which emulator and valving to use, ect. Just fill in the blanks on bike type/weight and rider weight/riding style and then print! Smileyman CMRA506

SMILEYMAN
06-30-2003, 11:41 AM
Go to Race Tech .com.(racetech.com I think)They have a guide to give you baseline recommendations on proper spring rate, fork oil weight, sag, which emulator and valving to use, ect. Just fill in the blanks on bike type/weight and rider weight/riding style and then print! Smileyman CMRA506

Rich Desmond
06-30-2003, 08:15 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Frank Newman:
For CMRA sprint racing, how much sag should I have, front and rear? How can I adjust sag in the front, if at all? What weight oil should I use in the forks - I weigh 170 without gear. Any other thoughts (productive only, please). Thanks, Frank Newman</div></div>Need a little more info. What springs do you have in the front, what shock are you using and what length do you have it set at (if it's not stock)?

Rich Desmond
06-30-2003, 08:15 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Frank Newman:
For CMRA sprint racing, how much sag should I have, front and rear? How can I adjust sag in the front, if at all? What weight oil should I use in the forks - I weigh 170 without gear. Any other thoughts (productive only, please). Thanks, Frank Newman</div></div>Need a little more info. What springs do you have in the front, what shock are you using and what length do you have it set at (if it's not stock)?

CYCLE 1
06-30-2003, 09:17 PM
ooooh, ooooooh Rich should I tell him the proper
settings. I know everthing about about rebound
and compression. Sag is more youre specialty !

CYCLE 1
06-30-2003, 09:17 PM
and compression. Sag is more youre specialty !

Rich Desmond
06-30-2003, 09:24 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Scott Levine:
and compression. Sag is more youre specialty !</div></div>So you'll "adjust" it for him at Hallett??? /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Rich Desmond
06-30-2003, 09:24 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Scott Levine:
and compression. Sag is more youre specialty !</div></div>So you'll "adjust" it for him at Hallett??? /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

E. Templet
06-30-2003, 11:02 PM
For CMRA sprint racing, how much sag should I have, front and rear? How can I adjust sag in the front, if at all? What weight oil should I use in the forks - I weigh 170 without gear. Any other thoughts (productive only, please). Thanks, Frank Newman</div></div>Ballpark stuff from memory. So if I'm wrong, don't beat me up too bad. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

15mm free sag and 30ish with rider on the front. You can adjust the sag by installing the proper springs for your weight and using spacer washers for fine tuning. I use .90 springs and I weigh 182 with full gear (165 without). Most people recommend a bit stiffer springs (.925 or .95) but I like my front end a bit more compliant. Plus I am a tad slow.

7mm free sag on the rear and 15-20 with the rider. If you have the stock shock, all you can do is adjust the spring VIA the knotches on the shock. I swapped out my shock for the Penske for 2 reasons:

1.) Ride height adjustability. (I got the setting from Rich and it worked great). No more body work dragging and great turn in. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

2.) General adjustability and performance. I had decent performance with my stock unit, but I only did a few sprint race weekends. I don't know how well the shock would have performed in an endurance race environment. I'm glad I got the Penske. Yes, my lap times did drop due to the Penske. I was pushing the front before I got it. Afterwards, great turn in.

On the front end I installed Race-Tech emulators (4th) click if memory serves and 30wt fork oil. I love the front end and wouldn't trade it for a GSXR. I have less to adjust. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

There are some shims (washers) you can install under the fork cap that will allow you to adjust your sag exactly. Some people are using the 2002 fork caps as they offer preload ajustability. I don't have that capability. That may prove useful on an endurance bike set up.

I have adopted a gentleman at LP's philosophy, if if doesn't make my bike go faster, I won't put it on. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Take care and hope some of this stuff helps. Even if it just makes you question some things.

E. Templet
06-30-2003, 11:02 PM
For CMRA sprint racing, how much sag should I have, front and rear? How can I adjust sag in the front, if at all? What weight oil should I use in the forks - I weigh 170 without gear. Any other thoughts (productive only, please). Thanks, Frank Newman</div></div>Ballpark stuff from memory. So if I'm wrong, don't beat me up too bad. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

15mm free sag and 30ish with rider on the front. You can adjust the sag by installing the proper springs for your weight and using spacer washers for fine tuning. I use .90 springs and I weigh 182 with full gear (165 without). Most people recommend a bit stiffer springs (.925 or .95) but I like my front end a bit more compliant. Plus I am a tad slow.

7mm free sag on the rear and 15-20 with the rider. If you have the stock shock, all you can do is adjust the spring VIA the knotches on the shock. I swapped out my shock for the Penske for 2 reasons:

1.) Ride height adjustability. (I got the setting from Rich and it worked great). No more body work dragging and great turn in. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

2.) General adjustability and performance. I had decent performance with my stock unit, but I only did a few sprint race weekends. I don't know how well the shock would have performed in an endurance race environment. I'm glad I got the Penske. Yes, my lap times did drop due to the Penske. I was pushing the front before I got it. Afterwards, great turn in.

On the front end I installed Race-Tech emulators (4th) click if memory serves and 30wt fork oil. I love the front end and wouldn't trade it for a GSXR. I have less to adjust. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

There are some shims (washers) you can install under the fork cap that will allow you to adjust your sag exactly. Some people are using the 2002 fork caps as they offer preload ajustability. I don't have that capability. That may prove useful on an endurance bike set up.

I have adopted a gentleman at LP's philosophy, if if doesn't make my bike go faster, I won't put it on. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Take care and hope some of this stuff helps. Even if it just makes you question some things.