PDA

View Full Version : Which is better?

twg
07-01-2003, 06:10 PM
If one could only install a new master cylinder or new brake calipers, but not both which would give the biggest performance boost to the brakes?

Thanks,

twg

twg
07-01-2003, 06:10 PM
If one could only install a new master cylinder or new brake calipers, but not both which would give the biggest performance boost to the brakes?

Thanks,

twg

marcus mcbain
07-01-2003, 07:06 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Tom Gathright:

Thanks,

twg</div></div>Hey Tom,

If you are talking about aftermarket, you need to check the following:

1) If you are talking about getting calipers ONLY (like Brembo/AP), check to see what the manufacturer recommends for bore on the M/C.

2) The M/C can help, but bore size determines power vs. feel.

I recommend rebuiling your stock M/C and Calipers and properly bleed the brakes. Combined with fresh rotors, your brakes will work great.

Marcus

marcus mcbain
07-01-2003, 07:06 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Tom Gathright:

Thanks,

twg</div></div>Hey Tom,

If you are talking about aftermarket, you need to check the following:

1) If you are talking about getting calipers ONLY (like Brembo/AP), check to see what the manufacturer recommends for bore on the M/C.

2) The M/C can help, but bore size determines power vs. feel.

I recommend rebuiling your stock M/C and Calipers and properly bleed the brakes. Combined with fresh rotors, your brakes will work great.

Marcus

E. Templet
07-01-2003, 11:47 PM

Thanks,

twg</div></div>I love the Brembo Master cylinder upgrades and have never changed calipers. I think I would go for some full floating rotors next, but that's me and I ride a R6 (notorious for brake caliper drag).

Graves gives a decent discount with a race license (10% or so). They asked if I wanted a more linear feel throughout the range or a larger initial bite when the brakes are first applied. I took the linear feel because I locked up the front on the F3 a couple of times when I only wanted a touch of brake (I purchased the F3 already set up with a Brembo master).

I just love that one finger touch. the lever harldy moves and you stop...quickly.

To back up what Marcus stated I have yet to upgrade the brakes on the SV. They feel pretty darn good. I will probably change to the Brembo master though.

E. Templet
07-01-2003, 11:47 PM

Thanks,

twg</div></div>I love the Brembo Master cylinder upgrades and have never changed calipers. I think I would go for some full floating rotors next, but that's me and I ride a R6 (notorious for brake caliper drag).

Graves gives a decent discount with a race license (10% or so). They asked if I wanted a more linear feel throughout the range or a larger initial bite when the brakes are first applied. I took the linear feel because I locked up the front on the F3 a couple of times when I only wanted a touch of brake (I purchased the F3 already set up with a Brembo master).

I just love that one finger touch. the lever harldy moves and you stop...quickly.

To back up what Marcus stated I have yet to upgrade the brakes on the SV. They feel pretty darn good. I will probably change to the Brembo master though.

twg
07-02-2003, 07:22 AM
Marcus and Gene:

Thanks for the answers. I never thought anout the bore size on the M/C, but now it is clear and after reviewing the service manual I can understand. Also, I do see a lot of bikes for sale with the M/C upgraded and OEM calipers.

Right now the F4i stops pretty well and using the vesrah pads made a big difference in the initial bite.

However, I am always thinking what can I do????

twg

twg
07-02-2003, 07:22 AM
Marcus and Gene:

Thanks for the answers. I never thought anout the bore size on the M/C, but now it is clear and after reviewing the service manual I can understand. Also, I do see a lot of bikes for sale with the M/C upgraded and OEM calipers.

Right now the F4i stops pretty well and using the vesrah pads made a big difference in the initial bite.

However, I am always thinking what can I do????

twg

Rich Desmond
07-02-2003, 01:13 PM
...Also, I do see a lot of bikes for sale with the M/C upgraded and OEM calipers...</div></div>90% of the time that's cuz the original M/C got wiped out in a crash and the aftermarket piece was cheaper than the OEM replacement. Modern OEM brakes are pretty darn good.

Rich Desmond
07-02-2003, 01:13 PM
...Also, I do see a lot of bikes for sale with the M/C upgraded and OEM calipers...</div></div>90% of the time that's cuz the original M/C got wiped out in a crash and the aftermarket piece was cheaper than the OEM replacement. Modern OEM brakes are pretty darn good.

E. Templet
07-02-2003, 08:36 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Rich Desmond:
...Also, I do see a lot of bikes for sale with the M/C upgraded and OEM calipers...</div></div>90% of the time that's cuz the original M/C got wiped out in a crash and the aftermarket piece was cheaper than the OEM replacement. Modern OEM brakes are pretty darn good.</div></div>Yea but them Brembo's be kickin' !! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

My buddy was pushing the F3 through his M/C shop and when he squeezed that brembo, I think he wet his pants. It was like "Man I love this!!" And he got the other mechanic over to give it a squeeze. What can I say, he is a drag racer and doesn't use the brakes too often.

One attribute I like about the Brembo is the fact that I can set the brake lever closer to the throttle. I don't have to reach very far as the lever doesn't require much movement and that gives me better throttle control.

E. Templet
07-02-2003, 08:36 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Rich Desmond:
...Also, I do see a lot of bikes for sale with the M/C upgraded and OEM calipers...</div></div>90% of the time that's cuz the original M/C got wiped out in a crash and the aftermarket piece was cheaper than the OEM replacement. Modern OEM brakes are pretty darn good.</div></div>Yea but them Brembo's be kickin' !! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

My buddy was pushing the F3 through his M/C shop and when he squeezed that brembo, I think he wet his pants. It was like "Man I love this!!" And he got the other mechanic over to give it a squeeze. What can I say, he is a drag racer and doesn't use the brakes too often.

One attribute I like about the Brembo is the fact that I can set the brake lever closer to the throttle. I don't have to reach very far as the lever doesn't require much movement and that gives me better throttle control.

Shane Adair
07-04-2003, 01:49 PM
Hey Tom
It looks like your riding a unicycle going into turns. Back end is wagging like a dog. Use that rear brake only technique I was trying to teach you. That way I can possibly get around you.
Here is a thought, buy all that new stuff and I'll install it for you. Corner entry speed is guaranteed to increase. See you soon
Shane A.

Shane Adair
07-04-2003, 01:49 PM
Hey Tom
It looks like your riding a unicycle going into turns. Back end is wagging like a dog. Use that rear brake only technique I was trying to teach you. That way I can possibly get around you.
Here is a thought, buy all that new stuff and I'll install it for you. Corner entry speed is guaranteed to increase. See you soon
Shane A.

twg
07-04-2003, 04:05 PM
Shane:

That made my day. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Hey I'll see you at Hallett for sure. Maybe you can make it to OHR Sunday the 6th, I have it reserved. Marcus gave me some suspension tips and I am going to try it out.

Some one told me that soaking the rear tire in oil for three weeks before a race gives you more heat cycles, try it and let me know how it works. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

twg
07-04-2003, 04:05 PM
Shane:

That made my day. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Hey I'll see you at Hallett for sure. Maybe you can make it to OHR Sunday the 6th, I have it reserved. Marcus gave me some suspension tips and I am going to try it out.

Some one told me that soaking the rear tire in oil for three weeks before a race gives you more heat cycles, try it and let me know how it works. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Shane Adair
07-04-2003, 08:52 PM
Hey Tom,
You told me earlier to soak it in kerosene, maybe thats why I was sliding. Could have been the 52 psi. Either way I felt like I was going a lot faster. Thanks for the tips!
I'm working this weekend. You guys have fun and be carefull at OHR.
We'll be in CA. for a family reunion during the Hallett weekend. I'll be back for the next race. Keep up our Formula 40 tradition. Nate W. Mike R. and I are going to endurance an SV so they will be at Hallett working out the kinks. See you in Sept.
Shane A.

Shane Adair
07-04-2003, 08:52 PM
Hey Tom,
You told me earlier to soak it in kerosene, maybe thats why I was sliding. Could have been the 52 psi. Either way I felt like I was going a lot faster. Thanks for the tips!
I'm working this weekend. You guys have fun and be carefull at OHR.
We'll be in CA. for a family reunion during the Hallett weekend. I'll be back for the next race. Keep up our Formula 40 tradition. Nate W. Mike R. and I are going to endurance an SV so they will be at Hallett working out the kinks. See you in Sept.
Shane A.

twg
07-05-2003, 12:30 AM
Shane:

I'll miss you at Hallett, but will look up Mike and Nate. Don't work to hard this weekend. If you get a chance you could do a slow aileron roll oh never mind, you would probably spill some one's drink anyway. Have fun in CA.

Later,

twg

twg
07-05-2003, 12:30 AM
Shane:

I'll miss you at Hallett, but will look up Mike and Nate. Don't work to hard this weekend. If you get a chance you could do a slow aileron roll oh never mind, you would probably spill some one's drink anyway. Have fun in CA.

Later,

twg