PDA

View Full Version : Fork tuning help

twg
08-25-2003, 05:18 PM
I need some help with fork tuning. I am riding a stock 2002 F4i. Recently I raised the rear ride height by placing a few shims between the shock and subframe. I did this to increase the swingarm angle to approximately 12.5 degrees. This made a big difference in how the bike turned and tracked through high-speed turns. However, this also created a problem under hard braking. Now the bike really tends to stoppie, so much so that I find myself braking earlier than with the stock set up.

I ordered and have in stock Race Tech springs and a Gold Valve kit that I plan to install after the next few races. In the mean time can I add a couple ounces of fork oil to minimize the nose dive and subsequent stoppies? Will that cause more problems? What are some other quick fix options?

Thanks.

twg

twg
08-25-2003, 05:18 PM
I need some help with fork tuning. I am riding a stock 2002 F4i. Recently I raised the rear ride height by placing a few shims between the shock and subframe. I did this to increase the swingarm angle to approximately 12.5 degrees. This made a big difference in how the bike turned and tracked through high-speed turns. However, this also created a problem under hard braking. Now the bike really tends to stoppie, so much so that I find myself braking earlier than with the stock set up.

I ordered and have in stock Race Tech springs and a Gold Valve kit that I plan to install after the next few races. In the mean time can I add a couple ounces of fork oil to minimize the nose dive and subsequent stoppies? Will that cause more problems? What are some other quick fix options?

Thanks.

twg

TXFZ1
08-25-2003, 07:05 PM
Don't know about the fix but there is this guy that just started a business. He helped me setup my bike and I would highly recommend him. His name is Mackky...no....Brainy....no...dang, it stuck on the end of my finger (I'm typing you know) /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Marcus McBain

David

TXFZ1
08-25-2003, 07:05 PM
Don't know about the fix but there is this guy that just started a business. He helped me setup my bike and I would highly recommend him. His name is Mackky...no....Brainy....no...dang, it stuck on the end of my finger (I'm typing you know) /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Marcus McBain

David

young515am
08-25-2003, 07:10 PM
MARCUS MCBAIN is the first one i would call.he has help me more than a few times.he does awsome work!!!!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

billy young
515 am

young515am
08-25-2003, 07:10 PM
MARCUS MCBAIN is the first one i would call.he has help me more than a few times.he does awsome work!!!!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

billy young
515 am

marcus mcbain
08-25-2003, 07:31 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Tom Gathright:

Thanks.

twg </div></div>Tom,

Just stop by at TWS and I will fix it for you. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Marcus

Remember...every change you make, changes everything else /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

marcus mcbain
08-25-2003, 07:31 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Tom Gathright:

Thanks.

twg </div></div>Tom,

Just stop by at TWS and I will fix it for you. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Marcus

Remember...every change you make, changes everything else /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

twg
08-26-2003, 12:25 PM
Thanks Marcus, I sent you an e-mail.

Dave/Billy: Yes I respect Marcus' ability greatly. His idea about the swingarm has already proven to work.

twg

twg
08-26-2003, 12:25 PM
Thanks Marcus, I sent you an e-mail.

Dave/Billy: Yes I respect Marcus' ability greatly. His idea about the swingarm has already proven to work.

twg

SteveZX6R
08-28-2003, 01:24 PM
Tom , you going to let Marcus work on your suspension? Great choice! Good luck on your business Marcus, I will be coming to see you myself , I have to stay ahead of that Tom guy.

SteveZX6R
08-28-2003, 01:24 PM
Tom , you going to let Marcus work on your suspension? Great choice! Good luck on your business Marcus, I will be coming to see you myself , I have to stay ahead of that Tom guy.

Barron Houston
08-29-2003, 09:37 PM
Mine did the stoppie thing more often when I changed the geometry also. I just compensated by shifting my weight more rearward when heavy braking. You only have to slide back maybe an inch or so to compensate.

Barron Houston
08-29-2003, 09:37 PM
Mine did the stoppie thing more often when I changed the geometry also. I just compensated by shifting my weight more rearward when heavy braking. You only have to slide back maybe an inch or so to compensate.