PDA

View Full Version : Safety wiring questions & clarification



dexter
10-25-2003, 09:56 PM
I am working on a 600rr for next season. I wanted to see if I could get a more exact clarification on what needs to be safety wired.

It didn't say anything about the pinch bolts on the forks or the grips etc.

Here is what I have extracted from the CCS rule book so far:

All engine, final drive, and transmission drain plugs
All engine and transmission filler caps
All fuel and coolant carrying hoses or lines at all connecting points
All oil cooler connections
Spin on oil filers must have a hose clamp that is safety wired
Cartridge oil filters must safety wire the housing bolts
Front fork drains may be taped
Exhaust header and silencer
Brake calipers and speedometer cable


Fuel and radiator caps are exempt


I'm not sure about all of the components on the final drive. What is included?

Also, does this mean that we need to drill out each header bolt and safety wire them?

Do the grips need to be safety wired?

On the rear caliper of the 600rr it has a mostly flush mount bolt on it. Does it need to be safety wired also?

dexter
10-25-2003, 09:56 PM
I am working on a 600rr for next season. I wanted to see if I could get a more exact clarification on what needs to be safety wired.

It didn't say anything about the pinch bolts on the forks or the grips etc.

Here is what I have extracted from the CCS rule book so far:

All engine, final drive, and transmission drain plugs
All engine and transmission filler caps
All fuel and coolant carrying hoses or lines at all connecting points
All oil cooler connections
Spin on oil filers must have a hose clamp that is safety wired
Cartridge oil filters must safety wire the housing bolts
Front fork drains may be taped
Exhaust header and silencer
Brake calipers and speedometer cable


Fuel and radiator caps are exempt


I'm not sure about all of the components on the final drive. What is included?

Also, does this mean that we need to drill out each header bolt and safety wire them?

Do the grips need to be safety wired?

On the rear caliper of the 600rr it has a mostly flush mount bolt on it. Does it need to be safety wired also?

Danny Dominguez
10-26-2003, 01:30 AM
I've found that if you get as many rule books as u can and wire everything each 1 says then you wont have any problems at any tracks in the country...I know that as far as the header bolts,brake calipers,and grips goes its different from the wera rule book to the ccs rule book .1 requires them wired and the other doesnt.....best rule of thumb:if the rule book doesnt say it needs to be wired but u feel it does,then wire it!....just my 2 cents,but it sucks getting to another track and the tech guy says u cant race until u wire all 8 of those header bolts. Danny Dominguez EX #44

Danny Dominguez
10-26-2003, 01:30 AM
I've found that if you get as many rule books as u can and wire everything each 1 says then you wont have any problems at any tracks in the country...I know that as far as the header bolts,brake calipers,and grips goes its different from the wera rule book to the ccs rule book .1 requires them wired and the other doesnt.....best rule of thumb:if the rule book doesnt say it needs to be wired but u feel it does,then wire it!....just my 2 cents,but it sucks getting to another track and the tech guy says u cant race until u wire all 8 of those header bolts. Danny Dominguez EX #44

Derek Heaton
11-03-2003, 01:29 PM
Well, we have a new rulebook this year. you can't really go by the CCS book, unless you are doing it as a starting point.

The rule of thumb that Danny mentioned is pretty good, you just have to remember, the things you are wiring are to either keep fluid in the bike or keep specific pieces on the bike, ie bolts and r-typr clips.

More clarification can be found in the new CMRA rulebook for 2004.

Derek Heaton
11-03-2003, 01:29 PM
Well, we have a new rulebook this year. you can't really go by the CCS book, unless you are doing it as a starting point.

The rule of thumb that Danny mentioned is pretty good, you just have to remember, the things you are wiring are to either keep fluid in the bike or keep specific pieces on the bike, ie bolts and r-typr clips.

More clarification can be found in the new CMRA rulebook for 2004.

dexter
11-03-2003, 03:01 PM
I read the new rule book this weekend. Here is what it suggested:

Oil Filler Caps
Oil Drain Plugs
Oil Filter/Filter Bolts
Oil Galley Plugs*
Oil Lines
Oil Cooler Bolt
Fork Oil Drain Bolts
Radiator Caps
Coolant Drains
Brake Caliper Bolts


I'm not sure where the oil galley plugs are on this bike. I did notice the addition of the radiator cap.


So far this is what I have wired on the RR:

1) four front axle pinch bolts
2) front axle bolt (right side)
3) eight exhaust header bolts
4) all hose clamps and clips on the coolant lines (both drain and pressure)
5) oil drain plug
6) oil filter with hose clamp
7) rear axle nut
8) rear caliper bolt to pad retaining bolt
9) four front brake caliper bolts (not pad retaining bolts)
10) handlebar grips
11) radiator cap
12) oil fill plug
13) exhaust canister rear bolt (bolt clip only)
14) exhaust canister to header pipe bolts

Do you know if it is allowed to use safety wired clips (R clips or otherwise)?

Also, do the bolts on the rear sprocket need to be drilled and wired? I did read that all components of the final drive needed to be wired.

Here is an article that I read which seemed like a very good starting place for safety wiring:

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0002_hand/

dexter
11-03-2003, 03:01 PM
I read the new rule book this weekend. Here is what it suggested:

Oil Filler Caps
Oil Drain Plugs
Oil Filter/Filter Bolts
Oil Galley Plugs*
Oil Lines
Oil Cooler Bolt
Fork Oil Drain Bolts
Radiator Caps
Coolant Drains
Brake Caliper Bolts


I'm not sure where the oil galley plugs are on this bike. I did notice the addition of the radiator cap.


So far this is what I have wired on the RR:

1) four front axle pinch bolts
2) front axle bolt (right side)
3) eight exhaust header bolts
4) all hose clamps and clips on the coolant lines (both drain and pressure)
5) oil drain plug
6) oil filter with hose clamp
7) rear axle nut
8) rear caliper bolt to pad retaining bolt
9) four front brake caliper bolts (not pad retaining bolts)
10) handlebar grips
11) radiator cap
12) oil fill plug
13) exhaust canister rear bolt (bolt clip only)
14) exhaust canister to header pipe bolts

Do you know if it is allowed to use safety wired clips (R clips or otherwise)?

Also, do the bolts on the rear sprocket need to be drilled and wired? I did read that all components of the final drive needed to be wired.

Here is an article that I read which seemed like a very good starting place for safety wiring:

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0002_hand/

ysr612
11-03-2003, 05:10 PM
this is the pdf pdf of rules with how to wire (http://www.cmraracing.com/pdf/rulebook/2004%20CMRA%20rulebook%201.0.pdf)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> In order to pass Technical Inspection, the following must be done:
1) The following items must be safety wired, or secured in a manner approved by Tech:
Oil Filler Caps
Oil Drain Plugs
Oil Filter/Filter Bolts
Oil Galley Plugs*
Oil Lines
Oil Cooler Bolt
Fork Oil Drain Bolts
Radiator Caps
Coolant Drains
Brake Caliper Bolts
*may be secured by silicone glue or H/D weather-strip adhesive in lieu of wiring.
A catch can shall be fitted where required or at the direction of a Technical Inspector.
2) Fuel lines and any other fluid carrying lines must be clamped or secured by some other appropriate means.
3) Water cooled engines may use plain water, or water with Redline (or similar product, call CMRA for verification)
cooling system rust and corrosion inhibitor. Glycol based antifreezes are strictly prohibited.
4) All Suzuki GSX-R, Yamaha FZR400, FZR600 and YZF (except R-1) must have engine case guards installed
around the right and left sides of the engine. A case guard is required on the left side only for Yamaha YZF-R1.
Heavy-duty aluminum replacement covers or reinforced OEM covers may be used.
5) All race bikes must have an operating and marked engine kill switch on the handlebars.
6) All race bikes must have a self-closing throttle and operating front and rear brakes.
7) Kick-start levers must be secured at two points. (A zip tie may be used to secure the top of the lever.)
8) Glass and plastic lenses must be taped. Clear tape may not be used.
9) Side and center stands must be removed.
10) A steering damper is mandatory on all machines and must be mounted in a safe and workmanlike manner. The
following machines are exempt from this rule; Formula Mini machines in a non-GP frame and Super Motard
machines.
11) The license plate and bracket(s) must be removed.
12) The machine must be clean.
13) Tires must be in good condition as determined by the technical Inspector. In Superstock Classes DOT Tires must
be used. Tires must be of the original tread pattern and may not be altered or grooved. No recapped, retreaded, or off
road knobby tires may be used in any class.
14) Tire valve caps must be used and should be metal or hard plastic.
15) Side covers that “snap-on” must be removed, wired, taped or bolted in place.
16) All race machines must use muffling devices. The Race director will have final approval of any muffling device.
17) Glass headlight covers must be removed. Plastic may be taped over or removed.
18) Clutch and Brake levers must have at least a 1/2" ball on the end.
19) Handlebar ends may not be hollow or ground to a sharp edge. The end must have a plug or be solid. </div></div>

ysr612
11-03-2003, 05:10 PM
this is the pdf pdf of rules with how to wire (http://www.cmraracing.com/pdf/rulebook/2004%20CMRA%20rulebook%201.0.pdf)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> In order to pass Technical Inspection, the following must be done:
1) The following items must be safety wired, or secured in a manner approved by Tech:
Oil Filler Caps
Oil Drain Plugs
Oil Filter/Filter Bolts
Oil Galley Plugs*
Oil Lines
Oil Cooler Bolt
Fork Oil Drain Bolts
Radiator Caps
Coolant Drains
Brake Caliper Bolts
*may be secured by silicone glue or H/D weather-strip adhesive in lieu of wiring.
A catch can shall be fitted where required or at the direction of a Technical Inspector.
2) Fuel lines and any other fluid carrying lines must be clamped or secured by some other appropriate means.
3) Water cooled engines may use plain water, or water with Redline (or similar product, call CMRA for verification)
cooling system rust and corrosion inhibitor. Glycol based antifreezes are strictly prohibited.
4) All Suzuki GSX-R, Yamaha FZR400, FZR600 and YZF (except R-1) must have engine case guards installed
around the right and left sides of the engine. A case guard is required on the left side only for Yamaha YZF-R1.
Heavy-duty aluminum replacement covers or reinforced OEM covers may be used.
5) All race bikes must have an operating and marked engine kill switch on the handlebars.
6) All race bikes must have a self-closing throttle and operating front and rear brakes.
7) Kick-start levers must be secured at two points. (A zip tie may be used to secure the top of the lever.)
8) Glass and plastic lenses must be taped. Clear tape may not be used.
9) Side and center stands must be removed.
10) A steering damper is mandatory on all machines and must be mounted in a safe and workmanlike manner. The
following machines are exempt from this rule; Formula Mini machines in a non-GP frame and Super Motard
machines.
11) The license plate and bracket(s) must be removed.
12) The machine must be clean.
13) Tires must be in good condition as determined by the technical Inspector. In Superstock Classes DOT Tires must
be used. Tires must be of the original tread pattern and may not be altered or grooved. No recapped, retreaded, or off
road knobby tires may be used in any class.
14) Tire valve caps must be used and should be metal or hard plastic.
15) Side covers that “snap-on” must be removed, wired, taped or bolted in place.
16) All race machines must use muffling devices. The Race director will have final approval of any muffling device.
17) Glass headlight covers must be removed. Plastic may be taped over or removed.
18) Clutch and Brake levers must have at least a 1/2" ball on the end.
19) Handlebar ends may not be hollow or ground to a sharp edge. The end must have a plug or be solid. </div></div>

Blake
11-03-2003, 06:40 PM
If the old Buell can't drop a few parts here and there as countermeasures, she won't stand a chance. Exemption for the old Buell please? On the muffler thing too, please? /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Blake
11-03-2003, 06:40 PM
If the old Buell can't drop a few parts here and there as countermeasures, she won't stand a chance. Exemption for the old Buell please? On the muffler thing too, please? /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Chris Kotowski
12-02-2003, 09:08 PM
Can anyone explain where or what the "fork oil drain bolts" are on a '02 GSXR600. The shop manual doesn't list them as such.

Chris Kotowski
12-02-2003, 09:08 PM
Can anyone explain where or what the "fork oil drain bolts" are on a '02 GSXR600. The shop manual doesn't list them as such.

CYCLE 1
12-02-2003, 11:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Chris Kotowski:
Can anyone explain where or what the "fork oil drain bolts" are on a '02 GSXR600. The shop manual doesn't list them as such. </div></div>Chris, there are no drains on the forks, actually I cant think of a modern bike that does,
drains on fork tubes goes back to the days of damper rod forks and even modern bikes with these types [sv] have no drain bolts. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

CYCLE 1
12-02-2003, 11:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Chris Kotowski:
Can anyone explain where or what the "fork oil drain bolts" are on a '02 GSXR600. The shop manual doesn't list them as such. </div></div>Chris, there are no drains on the forks, actually I cant think of a modern bike that does,
drains on fork tubes goes back to the days of damper rod forks and even modern bikes with these types [sv] have no drain bolts. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

Chris Kotowski
12-02-2003, 11:45 PM
Thanks scott,
That's what I thought but didn't want to take a chance of any suprises at tech.

Chris Kotowski
12-02-2003, 11:45 PM
Thanks scott,
That's what I thought but didn't want to take a chance of any suprises at tech.

marcus mcbain
12-03-2003, 01:42 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Scott Levine:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Chris Kotowski:
Can anyone explain where or what the "fork oil drain bolts" are on a '02 GSXR600. The shop manual doesn't list them as such. </div></div>Chris, there are no drains on the forks, actually I cant think of a modern bike that does,
drains on fork tubes goes back to the days of damper rod forks and even modern bikes with these types [sv] have no drain bolts. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif </div></div>Suffice to say that my FJ and FZ 600 race bikes do not qualify as modern??? Well, they had mono shocks on them... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

marcus mcbain
12-03-2003, 01:42 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Scott Levine:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Chris Kotowski:
Can anyone explain where or what the "fork oil drain bolts" are on a '02 GSXR600. The shop manual doesn't list them as such. </div></div>Chris, there are no drains on the forks, actually I cant think of a modern bike that does,
drains on fork tubes goes back to the days of damper rod forks and even modern bikes with these types [sv] have no drain bolts. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif </div></div>Suffice to say that my FJ and FZ 600 race bikes do not qualify as modern??? Well, they had mono shocks on them... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

nnciderr
12-15-2003, 06:56 PM
I was wondering about hose clamps.

Based on this, and a bunch of post on a WERA board.

"2) Fuel lines and any other fluid carrying lines must be clamped OR secured by some other appropriate means."

I gather that fuel and fluid lines must have hose clamps and that is it. Some people have suggested safety wiring, but must you safety wire fuel and fluid lines in order to past tech.

My first post by the way. Can't wait to meet some of ya'll on the 24 of Jan.

Josh

nnciderr
12-15-2003, 06:56 PM
I was wondering about hose clamps.

Based on this, and a bunch of post on a WERA board.

"2) Fuel lines and any other fluid carrying lines must be clamped OR secured by some other appropriate means."

I gather that fuel and fluid lines must have hose clamps and that is it. Some people have suggested safety wiring, but must you safety wire fuel and fluid lines in order to past tech.

My first post by the way. Can't wait to meet some of ya'll on the 24 of Jan.

Josh