PDA

View Full Version : Fork straightening?

GreSam
02-03-2004, 11:38 AM
How much disassembly is needed to straighten a pair of forks? And once they are apart, should I just get them resprung, etc.? They're off an F4i, with over 16K miles (2K track) on the stock bits.

GreSam
02-03-2004, 11:38 AM
How much disassembly is needed to straighten a pair of forks? And once they are apart, should I just get them resprung, etc.? They're off an F4i, with over 16K miles (2K track) on the stock bits.

Joseph Browning
02-03-2004, 07:40 PM
Greg seen this before and responded with my .02 but by the time you spend the money straightening a set of forks you will have easily spent as much or more than just buying a used set of forks. Plus you never know if they really are straight or not. Just not a good call to have forks straightened.

Joseph Browning
02-03-2004, 07:40 PM
Greg seen this before and responded with my .02 but by the time you spend the money straightening a set of forks you will have easily spent as much or more than just buying a used set of forks. Plus you never know if they really are straight or not. Just not a good call to have forks straightened.

Greg Williams
02-04-2004, 05:39 PM
Greg,

Fork straightening is not real hard, I do my own. It does take time (and patience) though. You remove the fork tubes, lay them in v blocks and using a dial indicator, rotate them to find the high point. Mark it and use a hydraulic press and wood blocks to straighten. Remove to measure progress and continue. It'll take several times to get ir right. This should only be done with forks that are just slightly bent. Toss anything that is even slightly kinked or out more than 5mm. If these havn't been revalved/sprung look around for some used ones that have already been set up.

Good luck!

Greg Williams
02-04-2004, 05:39 PM
Greg,

Fork straightening is not real hard, I do my own. It does take time (and patience) though. You remove the fork tubes, lay them in v blocks and using a dial indicator, rotate them to find the high point. Mark it and use a hydraulic press and wood blocks to straighten. Remove to measure progress and continue. It'll take several times to get ir right. This should only be done with forks that are just slightly bent. Toss anything that is even slightly kinked or out more than 5mm. If these havn't been revalved/sprung look around for some used ones that have already been set up.

Good luck!