PDA

View Full Version : Clipon angles and length advice

dexter
03-19-2004, 02:44 PM
I recently installed some Woodcraft clipons on my 600RR and was wondering if there are any rules of thumb for the roadracing angle and length.

The stock clipons will only mount in one angle because there is a fixed locating pin and the length can't be adjusted.

Is there a good starting point for a race only setup? I assume that you would want to move angle of the bars out some because lock to lock angles are unused on the track. I'm guessing that it would provide a little more leverage and help turn the bike. The stock clipons were a little narrow on the angle.

The aftermarket clipons allow you to adjust the angle and length.

dexter
03-19-2004, 02:44 PM
I recently installed some Woodcraft clipons on my 600RR and was wondering if there are any rules of thumb for the roadracing angle and length.

The stock clipons will only mount in one angle because there is a fixed locating pin and the length can't be adjusted.

Is there a good starting point for a race only setup? I assume that you would want to move angle of the bars out some because lock to lock angles are unused on the track. I'm guessing that it would provide a little more leverage and help turn the bike. The stock clipons were a little narrow on the angle.

The aftermarket clipons allow you to adjust the angle and length.

Jason Keene
03-19-2004, 06:04 PM
I recently changed my angle, after talking to Will Shupak. He told me about moving them out some. (your reference to stock position)

By pushing them out about 15 to 20 degrees I gained tons of leverage. I'm 6'4" and 235lbs. I feel more comfortable on the bike. (gixxer 6)Almost like I have more room...

No arm pump from fighting the tight position i used to be in... IMHO...

Jason Keene
03-19-2004, 06:04 PM
I recently changed my angle, after talking to Will Shupak. He told me about moving them out some. (your reference to stock position)

By pushing them out about 15 to 20 degrees I gained tons of leverage. I'm 6'4" and 235lbs. I feel more comfortable on the bike. (gixxer 6)Almost like I have more room...

No arm pump from fighting the tight position i used to be in... IMHO...

Will Shupak
03-21-2004, 10:48 PM
actually, credit for that advice goes to JIM CAMBORA at RACEWORX. I usually set my bars up to be comfortable when i'm tucked in tight, considering thats the only way i can remember to stay tucked in. moving the bars out does help out alot with my arm pump and with sore tri-cepts plus it helps me from getting the dreaded "gorilla grip". The main thing is for you to be comfortable.....i also move my grips/throttle assy. as far out as possible to maximize on leverage and adjust my levers almost flat so that my wrists aren't in a bind. i think it has helped me

Will Shupak
03-21-2004, 10:48 PM
actually, credit for that advice goes to JIM CAMBORA at RACEWORX. I usually set my bars up to be comfortable when i'm tucked in tight, considering thats the only way i can remember to stay tucked in. moving the bars out does help out alot with my arm pump and with sore tri-cepts plus it helps me from getting the dreaded "gorilla grip". The main thing is for you to be comfortable.....i also move my grips/throttle assy. as far out as possible to maximize on leverage and adjust my levers almost flat so that my wrists aren't in a bind. i think it has helped me

marcus mcbain
03-24-2004, 11:59 PM
Along with that info...

Brake and Clutch levers...Place them at about 20 to 30 degrees off level plane. I see many riders with levers that are almost parallel to the the ground and that is physically, ergonomically, and altogether the wrong way to do it.

Rear Sets...Why??? OK, if you like solid mount pegs, but why do you have to have them rearward and high up. Last I checked, most of you are either too tall or 4 six-packs further along than you should be to have pegs like that. They are uncomfortable and that is it...

Good Luck,
Marcus

marcus mcbain
03-24-2004, 11:59 PM
Along with that info...

Brake and Clutch levers...Place them at about 20 to 30 degrees off level plane. I see many riders with levers that are almost parallel to the the ground and that is physically, ergonomically, and altogether the wrong way to do it.

Rear Sets...Why??? OK, if you like solid mount pegs, but why do you have to have them rearward and high up. Last I checked, most of you are either too tall or 4 six-packs further along than you should be to have pegs like that. They are uncomfortable and that is it...

Good Luck,
Marcus

Keith Hertell
03-25-2004, 10:05 AM
Simple rule is put the bars and levers where you like them.

I agree w/ Marcus on the rearsets. Drill them and put in some roll pins to make them solid mount.

Keith Hertell
03-25-2004, 10:05 AM
Simple rule is put the bars and levers where you like them.

I agree w/ Marcus on the rearsets. Drill them and put in some roll pins to make them solid mount.

Eric Kancir
04-07-2004, 04:17 AM
I can make you bars at any length that you need for any aftermarket clip-on.....plus with sliders!

Eric

Eric Kancir
04-07-2004, 04:17 AM
I can make you bars at any length that you need for any aftermarket clip-on.....plus with sliders!

Eric