PDA

View Full Version : Blowing up tanks

Paul OBrien
05-24-2004, 05:43 PM
Will sealing up a gas tank and pressurizing work to pop out dents ? Also, would that help increase capacity ?

Not that is matters its for a SV

Paul OBrien
05-24-2004, 05:43 PM
Will sealing up a gas tank and pressurizing work to pop out dents ? Also, would that help increase capacity ?

Not that is matters its for a SV

05-24-2004, 06:47 PM
Yes and Yes depending on Tank. I have done both to my Hawk GT's tank at one time.

05-24-2004, 06:47 PM
Yes and Yes depending on Tank. I have done both to my Hawk GT's tank at one time.

ysr612
05-25-2004, 06:13 AM
I have blown dents out and I have also ruined a tank where it expanded on the lower seam.

ysr612
05-25-2004, 06:13 AM
I have blown dents out and I have also ruined a tank where it expanded on the lower seam.

Paul OBrien
05-25-2004, 10:33 AM
So best thing is to make some fittings, carefully crank up the pressure and cross the fingers ?

Cheers !

Paul OBrien
05-25-2004, 10:33 AM
So best thing is to make some fittings, carefully crank up the pressure and cross the fingers ?

Cheers !

ysr612
05-25-2004, 01:11 PM
I have heard someone else say use water and a hand pump. I have never done this.

ysr612
05-25-2004, 01:11 PM
I have heard someone else say use water and a hand pump. I have never done this.

Jack Giesecke
05-25-2004, 01:13 PM
A hellfire missle seems to work well on T72s

Jack Giesecke
05-25-2004, 01:13 PM
A hellfire missle seems to work well on T72s

marcus mcbain
05-25-2004, 01:21 PM
I am sure the hellfire will increase the gas tank volume too... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

marcus mcbain
05-25-2004, 01:21 PM
I am sure the hellfire will increase the gas tank volume too... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Paul OBrien
05-25-2004, 01:55 PM
Maybe I should just fill with gas and light it, that oughta blow it up good :p

cheers all

Paul OBrien
05-25-2004, 01:55 PM
Maybe I should just fill with gas and light it, that oughta blow it up good :p

cheers all

mark niemi
05-26-2004, 04:51 PM
Putting air into it sounds like a horrible idea. Use argon if you have to do it.
Remember, you're trying to take a dent out of a bomb.Not cool.

mark niemi
05-26-2004, 04:51 PM
Putting air into it sounds like a horrible idea. Use argon if you have to do it.
Remember, you're trying to take a dent out of a bomb.Not cool.

TFox
05-26-2004, 05:33 PM
I have -seen- but not -performed- blowing up a gas tank to pop out a dent. The guy just closed off the petcock, and used his airgun (from a regular ol' air compressor) and a red rag to seal off the filler cap "purty good" and we watched the tank grow a little bit just before the ol' dent popped right out. No muss, no fuss, no damaged paint. He said he'd done it dozens of times.

TFox
05-26-2004, 05:33 PM
I have -seen- but not -performed- blowing up a gas tank to pop out a dent. The guy just closed off the petcock, and used his airgun (from a regular ol' air compressor) and a red rag to seal off the filler cap "purty good" and we watched the tank grow a little bit just before the ol' dent popped right out. No muss, no fuss, no damaged paint. He said he'd done it dozens of times.

Paul OBrien
05-26-2004, 08:52 PM
How much pressure roughly before it started to 'pop' ? I've just tried and must have to much air escaping - had it at over 100psi

Paul OBrien
05-26-2004, 08:52 PM
How much pressure roughly before it started to 'pop' ? I've just tried and must have to much air escaping - had it at over 100psi

cedestech
05-26-2004, 09:30 PM
Find a paintless dent repair
guy and if it's not creased he can probably work
it out for $20.

All it is is a car fender that holds gas.

cedestech
05-26-2004, 09:30 PM
Find a paintless dent repair
guy and if it's not creased he can probably work
it out for $20.

All it is is a car fender that holds gas.

ysr612
05-26-2004, 09:37 PM
I never had to go very high pressure maybe 50psi. the shape of the dent makes the biggest differnce. As emmett said if it is creased good luck.

ysr612
05-26-2004, 09:37 PM
I never had to go very high pressure maybe 50psi. the shape of the dent makes the biggest differnce. As emmett said if it is creased good luck.

Paul OBrien
05-26-2004, 10:39 PM
Just got rid of the leaks and 40 - 60 seems to do the trick. I just want to get the main dents out as no doubt it'll get banged again soon /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

cheers guys

Paul OBrien
05-26-2004, 10:39 PM
Just got rid of the leaks and 40 - 60 seems to do the trick. I just want to get the main dents out as no doubt it'll get banged again soon /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

cheers guys

cedestech
05-26-2004, 11:25 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Glen Weir, ysr612:
I never had to go very high pressure maybe 50psi. the shape of the dent makes the biggest differnce. As emmett said if it is creased good luck. </div></div>Hey David! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

cedestech
05-26-2004, 11:25 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Glen Weir, ysr612:
I never had to go very high pressure maybe 50psi. the shape of the dent makes the biggest differnce. As emmett said if it is creased good luck. </div></div>Hey David! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Paul OBrien
05-27-2004, 01:23 PM
Bad idea, blew it up perty good /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif There are some things I should leave to others I guess but gotta try once. . .

Paul OBrien
05-27-2004, 01:23 PM
Bad idea, blew it up perty good /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif There are some things I should leave to others I guess but gotta try once. . .

05-28-2004, 01:59 PM
I guess I should have qualified that statement with "I made sure all of the gas was out of it, washed it out with water, then dried with alcohol....and only used a very low pressure"

05-28-2004, 01:59 PM
I guess I should have qualified that statement with "I made sure all of the gas was out of it, washed it out with water, then dried with alcohol....and only used a very low pressure"

Paul OBrien
05-28-2004, 02:10 PM
I can be pretty dumb at times but thought to empty it :rolleyes:

The dings must have been bigger than I should have tried to pop out as low pressure did nothing, around 30psi deformed the tank /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Paul OBrien
05-28-2004, 02:10 PM
I can be pretty dumb at times but thought to empty it :rolleyes:

The dings must have been bigger than I should have tried to pop out as low pressure did nothing, around 30psi deformed the tank /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

olddude
06-02-2004, 12:46 PM
IMHO, remember that tanks are made to hold fuel; NOT PRESSURE. Air will compress, and a large volume that will expand with a BANG! That is the reason to use HYDROSTATIC (water).
Water does not compress; If the tank fails you don't get the violent expansion. GO WITH THE WATER, then you can use a little air, via the fuel selector valve. MUCH SAFER!

Phillip Conner

olddude
06-02-2004, 12:46 PM
IMHO, remember that tanks are made to hold fuel; NOT PRESSURE. Air will compress, and a large volume that will expand with a BANG! That is the reason to use HYDROSTATIC (water).
Water does not compress; If the tank fails you don't get the violent expansion. GO WITH THE WATER, then you can use a little air, via the fuel selector valve. MUCH SAFER!

Phillip Conner

jroberts5407
06-02-2004, 05:39 PM
What Phillip said. I am involved with some high-pressure testing at work. Water is used for the reasons he mentioned. It is much much safer.

jroberts5407
06-02-2004, 05:39 PM
What Phillip said. I am involved with some high-pressure testing at work. Water is used for the reasons he mentioned. It is much much safer.

toddcmra698
06-10-2004, 04:59 PM
fill with water and freeze it .over n over the water expands as it freezes..might take forever but heard it works just takes a while

toddcmra698
06-10-2004, 04:59 PM
fill with water and freeze it .over n over the water expands as it freezes..might take forever but heard it works just takes a while

Texasoilman44
06-12-2004, 11:52 PM
Air + Hydrocarbons + Pressurized Vessel = Bad Idea.

Aside from the fact that has been mentioned that pressure testing is performed with water, you should never ever ever ever (and I mean NEVER) mix air in a pressurized vessel with any type of flammable material. If you do, you will most likely be testing the "big bang" theory. Once you pressurize a vessel containing flammable material and then introduce air the contents will auto ignite. Basically you are just building a bomb out of your gas tank if you do this.

It is even more dangerous with a gas tank that has been drained but not flushed. If you were to try and pressurize the tank with air while it is still half full, you could not put enough air into to have the correct fuel/air ratio for combustion to take place. A drained tank still has vapors and some residual liquids that make it just about right to have the perfect ratio of fuel to air to burn, pressurizing it makes it auto ignite without a flame/heat source.

Kevin

Texasoilman44
06-12-2004, 11:52 PM
Air + Hydrocarbons + Pressurized Vessel = Bad Idea.

Aside from the fact that has been mentioned that pressure testing is performed with water, you should never ever ever ever (and I mean NEVER) mix air in a pressurized vessel with any type of flammable material. If you do, you will most likely be testing the "big bang" theory. Once you pressurize a vessel containing flammable material and then introduce air the contents will auto ignite. Basically you are just building a bomb out of your gas tank if you do this.

It is even more dangerous with a gas tank that has been drained but not flushed. If you were to try and pressurize the tank with air while it is still half full, you could not put enough air into to have the correct fuel/air ratio for combustion to take place. A drained tank still has vapors and some residual liquids that make it just about right to have the perfect ratio of fuel to air to burn, pressurizing it makes it auto ignite without a flame/heat source.

Kevin

GreSam
06-21-2004, 05:04 PM
Can't you take the doo-dad out of the bottom of the tank and whack it inside with a hammer and wooden block? I've got a dented tank that needs fixin' if possible. I'd rather re-wang this one than dent a new one.

Though water and a freezer sounds like fun as well.

GreSam
06-21-2004, 05:04 PM
Can't you take the doo-dad out of the bottom of the tank and whack it inside with a hammer and wooden block? I've got a dented tank that needs fixin' if possible. I'd rather re-wang this one than dent a new one.

Though water and a freezer sounds like fun as well.