PDA

View Full Version : Letter to SPEED TV

racer550
09-15-2002, 11:31 PM
Here is the text of a letter I just sent to Speed tv:
Who are you guys trying to fool? I read in your "motorcycle news" section that the final, decisive FIM Superbike races from Imola will be run "LIVE", and then turn to the program page to find them on at 8:pm central! Unless I flunked basic math, that puts them several hours later than "LIVE". Your cable channel gives motorcycle programming short shrift as it is, and YES, I would get up at 5:am to watch! How many of your Nasty-car viewers do? I guess none, since you run hour long advertisements all morning.
While I'm on the subject, do you REALLY think ANYONE watches the re-re-re-runs of two year old nasty-car races? Or even the third viewing of last weeks races? But when it comes to filling out the "two wheel tuesday" line-up, showing the same dirt-track race from May all the way into August is OK, huh? Those motorcycle guys are just lucky we show them at all, huh? Well, I'm sick of your circle track bias, lies (how many times did you promise us you wouldn't turn this channel into "nascarTV"? Or abandon bikes? You have taken no effort to put the Formula USA nationals on TV, the dirt track nationals were shown, twice (oh, that is, two races, re-runs don't count).
I plan on turning in my digital converter as soon as the Imola race is over, and I plan on telling Cox cable the reason I got it in the first place was to watch Speedvision, and the reason they won't make $50 bucks a month off me any more is SPEEDTV. Why don't you jerks just call it NASCARtv, like you wanted to? Did the nasty car people want too much money for their name. or were you just too cheap to pay for it?
Good bye. Good riddance!
Steve Creech
Anyone else agree? /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

racer550
09-15-2002, 11:31 PM
Here is the text of a letter I just sent to Speed tv:
Who are you guys trying to fool? I read in your "motorcycle news" section that the final, decisive FIM Superbike races from Imola will be run "LIVE", and then turn to the program page to find them on at 8:pm central! Unless I flunked basic math, that puts them several hours later than "LIVE". Your cable channel gives motorcycle programming short shrift as it is, and YES, I would get up at 5:am to watch! How many of your Nasty-car viewers do? I guess none, since you run hour long advertisements all morning.
While I'm on the subject, do you REALLY think ANYONE watches the re-re-re-runs of two year old nasty-car races? Or even the third viewing of last weeks races? But when it comes to filling out the "two wheel tuesday" line-up, showing the same dirt-track race from May all the way into August is OK, huh? Those motorcycle guys are just lucky we show them at all, huh? Well, I'm sick of your circle track bias, lies (how many times did you promise us you wouldn't turn this channel into "nascarTV"? Or abandon bikes? You have taken no effort to put the Formula USA nationals on TV, the dirt track nationals were shown, twice (oh, that is, two races, re-runs don't count).
I plan on turning in my digital converter as soon as the Imola race is over, and I plan on telling Cox cable the reason I got it in the first place was to watch Speedvision, and the reason they won't make $50 bucks a month off me any more is SPEEDTV. Why don't you jerks just call it NASCARtv, like you wanted to? Did the nasty car people want too much money for their name. or were you just too cheap to pay for it?
Good bye. Good riddance!
Steve Creech
Anyone else agree? /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

Blake
09-16-2002, 01:49 AM
Gee Steve, You sure got bent over a slippage in air time. Where else are you going to see ANY motorcycle coverage?

Unfortunately, NASCAR apparently has a bunch more viewers than current moto racing attracts to the tube.

I'm grateful to be able to watch ANY roadracing on television.

Suggest you count to twenty and enjoy life. The Speed Channel is in business solely to make money. That's it. No other reason. Take what you can from them and hope moto racing gains in popularity. We just need a Dale Earnhardt and the NASCAR marketing savy to attract more audience. Maybe if the AMA were a bit more creative and enthusiastic about promoting their events... :rolleyes:

See you out there,

Blake

Blake
09-16-2002, 01:49 AM
Gee Steve, You sure got bent over a slippage in air time. Where else are you going to see ANY motorcycle coverage?

Unfortunately, NASCAR apparently has a bunch more viewers than current moto racing attracts to the tube.

I'm grateful to be able to watch ANY roadracing on television.

Suggest you count to twenty and enjoy life. The Speed Channel is in business solely to make money. That's it. No other reason. Take what you can from them and hope moto racing gains in popularity. We just need a Dale Earnhardt and the NASCAR marketing savy to attract more audience. Maybe if the AMA were a bit more creative and enthusiastic about promoting their events... :rolleyes:

See you out there,

Blake

SMILEYMAN
09-16-2002, 09:27 AM
I am afraid Blake is right Steve. As long as the mass majority of people want to watch NASCAR and buy lots of $$$ worth of anything with a drivers face and # on it thats all we are going to see on SPEEDCHANNEL. My opinion of course is that we have been enlightened to the fact that road racing (cars and bikes) is a more challenging and rewarding proof of driver/rider skill. For example, have you ever tuned in to a NASCAR road race? They look like they have never seen a steering wheel before...
I have raced circle track stock cars(five years) and it is fun, but doesn't compare to the coordination and fortitude required to roadrace a motorcycle. Besides, What NASCAR is selling isn't the racing, it is just WWF Wrestling with cars thrown in.
Maybe we can be better envoys of our sport and help promote ourselves so we can get our own channel! Wanna see Nicky or Colin on a cereal box? Smileyman

SMILEYMAN
09-16-2002, 09:27 AM
I am afraid Blake is right Steve. As long as the mass majority of people want to watch NASCAR and buy lots of $$$ worth of anything with a drivers face and # on it thats all we are going to see on SPEEDCHANNEL. My opinion of course is that we have been enlightened to the fact that road racing (cars and bikes) is a more challenging and rewarding proof of driver/rider skill. For example, have you ever tuned in to a NASCAR road race? They look like they have never seen a steering wheel before...
I have raced circle track stock cars(five years) and it is fun, but doesn't compare to the coordination and fortitude required to roadrace a motorcycle. Besides, What NASCAR is selling isn't the racing, it is just WWF Wrestling with cars thrown in.
Maybe we can be better envoys of our sport and help promote ourselves so we can get our own channel! Wanna see Nicky or Colin on a cereal box? Smileyman

Eric Kelcher
09-16-2002, 06:10 PM
Well I agree to a degree.
Speed has had a history this year of putting the premier race on in the afternoon and reshowing twice during primetime the support races. To me this is just a way to throw it in the motorcyclists face at the end of the year see look at these ratings only .00001 percent watched the XYZ race track premeir (WSB, AMA superbike, MotoGP) race so we are canceling the M/C roadracing coverage for next year.

Eric Kelcher
09-16-2002, 06:10 PM
Well I agree to a degree.
Speed has had a history this year of putting the premier race on in the afternoon and reshowing twice during primetime the support races. To me this is just a way to throw it in the motorcyclists face at the end of the year see look at these ratings only .00001 percent watched the XYZ race track premeir (WSB, AMA superbike, MotoGP) race so we are canceling the M/C roadracing coverage for next year.

waytooslow
09-16-2002, 06:52 PM
well if they cancelled... I am sure the sound of subscription crashing to the floor would be heard... I know mine would...

waytooslow
09-16-2002, 06:52 PM
well if they cancelled... I am sure the sound of subscription crashing to the floor would be heard... I know mine would...

E. Templet
09-16-2002, 11:52 PM
Steve, you have the right idea, vote with your feet. It is a Pitiful excuse for motorcycle race coverage...indeed.

I know it's impossible but I'd like to get some sort a satellite link to the races in Europe. Those boys and girls take their motorcycles seriously!

I got a better one for ya! I just cancelled the sports TV subscription on my Satellite and found out the Speed channel is now free. No, I don't feel any better about it.

E. Templet
09-16-2002, 11:52 PM
Steve, you have the right idea, vote with your feet. It is a Pitiful excuse for motorcycle race coverage...indeed.

I know it's impossible but I'd like to get some sort a satellite link to the races in Europe. Those boys and girls take their motorcycles seriously!

I got a better one for ya! I just cancelled the sports TV subscription on my Satellite and found out the Speed channel is now free. No, I don't feel any better about it.

nicktulloh
09-17-2002, 10:10 AM
Steve,

A couple of thoughts ...

Cancelling at the end of the season may seem a little disingenuous to some.

You'll start a vicious cycle. Not enough viewers = less programming. Fewer viewers = even less programming. The basic problem is that unlike Japan and Europe, most people in the US could give a rat about motorcycles, never mind racing them. Until that changes,and it could, we'll play second fiddle to NASCAR et al. Speed TV is a business, after all. We are who we are.

An avalanche of hate mail to Speed TV may generate the same reaction as I have when I get it - round file the mail and the issue.

Maybe there's a kinder, gentler way - constructive criticism anyone? How about - Dear Speed TV, perhaps I have a basic misunderstanding of space and time as it applies to the broadcast medium but why in the hell do we miss so many critical pass sequences during commercial breaks WHEN THE RACE IS RECORDED???

Best regards,

Nick

nicktulloh
09-17-2002, 10:10 AM
Steve,

A couple of thoughts ...

Cancelling at the end of the season may seem a little disingenuous to some.

You'll start a vicious cycle. Not enough viewers = less programming. Fewer viewers = even less programming. The basic problem is that unlike Japan and Europe, most people in the US could give a rat about motorcycles, never mind racing them. Until that changes,and it could, we'll play second fiddle to NASCAR et al. Speed TV is a business, after all. We are who we are.

An avalanche of hate mail to Speed TV may generate the same reaction as I have when I get it - round file the mail and the issue.

Maybe there's a kinder, gentler way - constructive criticism anyone? How about - Dear Speed TV, perhaps I have a basic misunderstanding of space and time as it applies to the broadcast medium but why in the hell do we miss so many critical pass sequences during commercial breaks WHEN THE RACE IS RECORDED???

Best regards,

Nick

SMILEYMAN
09-17-2002, 05:27 PM
Everyone needs to go to www.SPEEDTV.com (http://www.SPEEDTV.com) and punch in their own feedback. They have a e-mail suggestion box and a Message Board. Please remember you get more flies with honey and keep your observations and suggestions positive. If we can show them how many viewers support these show and programs maybe they will expand their coverage. And remember, cancelling your subscription doen't bother them in the least. They are concerned, however, with advertising money and they companies that we get to sponsor and advertise during our programming will ultimately get their attention. Talk it up fellows! Smileyman

SMILEYMAN
09-17-2002, 05:27 PM
Everyone needs to go to www.SPEEDTV.com (http://www.SPEEDTV.com) and punch in their own feedback. They have a e-mail suggestion box and a Message Board. Please remember you get more flies with honey and keep your observations and suggestions positive. If we can show them how many viewers support these show and programs maybe they will expand their coverage. And remember, cancelling your subscription doen't bother them in the least. They are concerned, however, with advertising money and they companies that we get to sponsor and advertise during our programming will ultimately get their attention. Talk it up fellows! Smileyman

E. Templet
09-17-2002, 11:51 PM
I'm with you Mena Racer, the "ROSHAMBO" approach is the way to go! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I do have some serious issues concerning paying for broadcasting loaded with commercial messages.
That's why I watch the Western Channel. Go get em' Hoppy!! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

E. Templet
09-17-2002, 11:51 PM
I'm with you Mena Racer, the "ROSHAMBO" approach is the way to go! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I do have some serious issues concerning paying for broadcasting loaded with commercial messages.
That's why I watch the Western Channel. Go get em' Hoppy!! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Erich von Colberg
09-18-2002, 10:11 PM
Before some of you start with the NASCAR conspiracy, consider that like most businesses, Speed is most likley first and formost interested in money. The same reason why it is like pulling teeth to get an american rider in GP. It's all about the benjamins baby!!! There is a HUGE fan base for NASCAR. There are probably more viewers for a 2 year old NASCAR race than a live motorcycle race in Imola. How many people know where Imola is??? Yes, of course we do. But, everyone knows Daytona and Indionapolis. Face it, we should all move to Europe and think how much better it was to live in America even though we had to put up with NASCAR. Final thought... No SpeedTv = No motorcycleracing at all! peace!

Erich von Colberg
09-18-2002, 10:11 PM
Before some of you start with the NASCAR conspiracy, consider that like most businesses, Speed is most likley first and formost interested in money. The same reason why it is like pulling teeth to get an american rider in GP. It's all about the benjamins baby!!! There is a HUGE fan base for NASCAR. There are probably more viewers for a 2 year old NASCAR race than a live motorcycle race in Imola. How many people know where Imola is??? Yes, of course we do. But, everyone knows Daytona and Indionapolis. Face it, we should all move to Europe and think how much better it was to live in America even though we had to put up with NASCAR. Final thought... No SpeedTv = No motorcycleracing at all! peace!

Eddie Burk
09-18-2002, 10:41 PM
I just do NOT understand the attraction. I guess they look at them and go "I think I could do that" Then look @ roadracing and go "what are thoes CRAZY people doing, I would never do that"
That is kind of the impression I get.

Eddie Burk
09-18-2002, 10:41 PM
I just do NOT understand the attraction. I guess they look at them and go "I think I could do that" Then look @ roadracing and go "what are thoes CRAZY people doing, I would never do that"
That is kind of the impression I get.