Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 GSXR 600/750 interesting fact

2011 GSXR 600/750 interesting fact

Just thought I would let everyone know that the 2011 GSXR600/750 have the same engine mounting points as the 06-10 models. I put a 2008 motor in a 2011 frame and everything bolted right up.

I do like the 2011 GSXR models...they are pretty cool.

Dean

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

Re: 2011 GSXR 600/750 interesting fact

Just curious, why would you put an 08 motor in a 2011?
    -RMJ96-
    Armour Bodies | Bazzaz | Dunlop | FactoryEffex | FMF | Galfer | Garmin | Lonestar Trackdays | Motion Pro | Nexx Helmets | Pit Bull | Raceworx | Road & Track | Sidi | Silkolene | Woodcraft | XT Racing

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

The only changes from 06 to present im aware of have been weight reduction (not much either until the latest model), bodywork, and electronics mostly so im not surprised it fitted. But very curious like Ryan if you dont mind, why the swap?

If you have a problem with your '11 engine and need to replace it, it can be replaced by earlier year engines which will be a lot easier to find.
    Texas Speed & Performance Paintworks
    Don't raise your voice, improve your argument.

I just took apart a 2011 and I had the frame sitting on the floor and a 2008 motor sitting on the work bench (customer motor). I decided to see if it fit. The 2011 frame is built very different from 2006 so I wasn't sure but it bolted right up. Then I took it back out and filed the knowledge away for later use.

I was just trying to share information...no specific purpose. Whenever I take apart a new bike, I try to do some interchanging to see what parts will fit...as a salvage guy and racer, it is nice to know such things.

Many people will say they are not suprised, but unless you have tried it, you never know for sure...sorta like the 600 vs 750 ecu. Do they work interchangably?

Dean

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Karl Leone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only changes from 06 to present im aware of have been weight reduction (not much either until the latest model), bodywork, and electronics mostly so im not surprised it fitted. But very curious like Ryan if you dont mind, why the swap? </div></div>

The 2011 is very very different from the 06-10 versions. You may want to head on down and look them over...it is a neat motorcycle that shares very few parts with the relatives. At first glance, I thought they were the same..then I took a couple apart and built one into a racer. As I needed parts, I found it was tough because much of the older stuff just won't work on it.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #

It bolted in, but does all of the wiring match up as well?
    www.NavyChief.com, RideSmart, Bridgestone Tires, OnRoad OffRoad, Tank Tredz, DFWSportbikes.org

No, the wiring is completely different. It looks like you could run either electronics on the engine though as the throttle bodies fit both. By that I mean, you could put a 08 engine in the 2011 chassis and run the 2011 electronics (wire harness, airbox, ecu, ect..)

Status
    Novice
    Bike #

So Dean I'm thinkning about buy an 11 for racing was wonder if my suspension from my 06 would drop right in on it???

Yes the forks will drop right in. The lower and upper triple diameters and spacing is the same. The shock length and lower mount point are different. You should be able to make the shock work with slight internal modification and a new lower mount point...I haven't looked that close yet but that is my initial guess.

You need the 06-10 axle though. The 2011 front wheel uses a 22mm axle where the older have 25mm. No off the shelf bearings to make the switch either so you would have to run 06-10 front wheel with a 2011 rear wheel. The rear axle went from a 28mm to a 25mm and again no bearings off the shelf to make that conversion for the older wheels.

The wheel/axle situation is a little frustrating.