Thread: A/C Helmet Legal?

Bike #

A/C Helmet Legal?

It would have a cord coming from the helmet to the bike for power would be the only problem I see from a race perspective. Other than that it has the standard D ring attachment and meets ECE 22-05 safety standard so even with that big brick on the back it seems to pass the crash tests.

https://feherhelmets.com/ $550

How much cooler will the Feher helmet be than my regular helmet?

The Feher ACH-1 helmet is not designed to give you an “ice cream headache” or create a cooled environment around your face like when riding in a car. It is designed to reduce the interior temperature around your skull during hot rides compared to using a traditional helmet. That temperature variance will be more significant in higher temperatures and can be up to ten to fifteen degrees cooler. Keeping your head cooler will make your body feel less impacted by the heat and make for a more comfortable ride in hot conditions than riding with your regular helmet.

What powers the Feher air conditioning unit?

The Feher helmet is powered by your motorcycle battery. It comes with the necessary harness to connect to the battery and a quick disconnect cord with a switch. It is also possible to power the unit with battery packs that can be purchased separately online.

On a separate note the Rule book states helmets need to meet ECE 22.05 "P" standards, that P standard only applies to the modular flip up helmets to denote the chin guard is designed to provide some protection. Do we even allow modular flip up helmets?
    Amsoil questions, product applications, or how to order LCRamsoil@gmail.com

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis King View Post
    It would have a cord coming from the helmet to the bike for power would be the only problem I see from a race perspective. Other than that it has the standard D ring attachment and meets ECE 22-05 safety standard so even with that big brick on the back it seems to pass the crash tests.

https://feherhelmets.com/ $550

On a separate note the Rule book states helmets need to meet ECE 22.05 "P" standards, that P standard only applies to the modular flip up helmets to denote the chin guard is designed to provide some protection. Do we even allow modular flip up helmets?
    The "P" standard means that it has a lower jaw protection and applies to all helmets that have that feature. From the ECE Regulation 22 file (http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/t.../r022r4e.pdf):

5.1.4.1.2.1. a dash and symbol:
    "J" if the helmet does not have a lower face cover
    "P" if the helmet has a protective lower face cover, or
    "NP" if the helmet has a non protective lower face cover

What is not explicitly stated, since the modular aspect is not specifically addressed, is that a modular helmet would have a "J-P" designation as it can be used both as a non-protective and protective setup.

www.NavyChief.com, RideSmart, Pirelli Tires, OnRoad OffRoad, MotoLiberty, Alien Motion, Tank Tredz, DFWSportbikes.org

Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Smith View Post
    The "P" standard means that it has a lower jaw protection and applies to all helmets that have that feature. From the ECE Regulation 22 file (http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/t.../r022r4e.pdf):

5.1.4.1.2.1. a dash and symbol:
    "J" if the helmet does not have a lower face cover
    "P" if the helmet has a protective lower face cover, or
    "NP" if the helmet has a non protective lower face cover

What is not explicitly stated, since the modular aspect is not specifically addressed, is that a modular helmet would have a "J-P" designation as it can be used both as a non-protective and protective setup.
    So by that info we would allow a modular helmet as long as it has the P standard or do they fall into the "open face" category and banned?

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis King View Post
    So by that info we would allow a modular helmet as long as it has the P standard or do they fall into the "open face" category and banned?
    Banned, modular helmets not allowed.
    www.NavyChief.com, RideSmart, Pirelli Tires, OnRoad OffRoad, MotoLiberty, Alien Motion, Tank Tredz, DFWSportbikes.org

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    I don't think I'd want the extra mass on my head if I needed to use it. Neat idea though. I wouldn't mind it if I still rode the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Stewart View Post
    I don't think I'd want the extra mass on my head .....
    I was curious about the weight, too, Cody. Surprised to find with a bit of googling that the claimed 1450 +/-30 grams is in the middle of the weights I found for the Shoei's and Arai's I've seen many racers use; perhaps a bit lighter than the Arai Profile that was my preferred touring helmet.

Not at all an 'endorsement', just a comment on the weight factor. IMHO the substantial protrusion and its potential to 'snag' something / impart a 'twist' to the neck would knock it out of contention for me.

Interesting concept though.
    Alan Etheredge, Associate and Interested Observer
    At-Track Registration Staff ~2003-2017; CMRA Administrator 2009.

Bike #
    I'd only really see it viable for the endurance guys who try to eek the full 2 hours out of the little bikes in the summer heat.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    43R
    Not allowed.
    Walter Walker
    Director of Competition
    254-717-6848
    walter@cmraracing.com
    CMRA Ex #43
    Member since 1990